SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why don't some large retailers use tap for credit card payments?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why don't some large retailers use tap for credit card payments? Login/Join 
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by Muddflap:
ensigmatic, now I have myself confused.

When I make a payment with Apple Pay, no matter whether I use my Apple Card, or a debit card, or a different credit card, the the last four digits on the receipt do not match the actual numbers on the card I used.
Again: Do not conflate the Apple Card with Apple Pay. They are two entirely separate and (mostly) unrelated things [1].

The reason you don't see the card number on a card when it's used via Apple Pay is, as previously mentioned, Apple Pay gives POS terminals a one-time-use virtual CC number for that one transaction--regardless of card used.

Apple Pay's servers, when the Apple Pay transaction is handed-off to them, create the association between the one-time-use virtual card number and the real card with which it's associated. This happens outside the context of the POS terminal.

quote:
If I look in my wallet, I can see the numbers that Apple uses, and they match the numbers on the receipt.
But they don't match those of the card used, correct?

quote:
I guess I was expecting the same thing when I used the Tap to Pay.
Tap-to-pay and insert-in-slot EMV chip technology are the same thing. I imagine those in-the-slot readers are probably using NFC internally.

[1] The main differences being you manage your Apple Card via your Apple Wallet, which you cannot do with non-Apple cards.

I apologize, I guess this is my day to be dense, and I'm probably not making sense.

I understand the difference between Apple Pay, and the Apple Card. No problem there.
Are you saying, when I use Tap to Pay on one of my cards, that even though the number on the receipt, and the number on my card match, there is actually a different number that gets passed to the vendor?

Posts: 3239 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
ensigmatic, now I have myself confused.

When I make a payment with Apple Pay, no matter whether I use my Apple Card, or a debit card, or a different credit card, the the last four digits on the receipt do not match the actual numbers on the card I used.
Again: Do not conflate the Apple Card with Apple Pay. They are two entirely separate and (mostly) unrelated things [1].

The reason you don't see the card number on a card when it's used via Apple Pay is, as previously mentioned, Apple Pay gives POS terminals a one-time-use virtual CC number for that one transaction--regardless of card used.

Apple Pay's servers, when the Apple Pay transaction is handed-off to them, create the association between the one-time-use virtual card number and the real card with which it's associated. This happens outside the context of the POS terminal.

quote:
If I look in my wallet, I can see the numbers that Apple uses, and they match the numbers on the receipt.
But they don't match those of the card used, correct?

quote:
I guess I was expecting the same thing when I used the Tap to Pay.
Tap-to-pay and insert-in-slot EMV chip technology are the same thing. I imagine those in-the-slot readers are probably using NFC internally.

[1] The main differences being you manage your Apple Card via your Apple Wallet, which you cannot do with non-Apple cards.

I apologize, I guess this is my day to be dense, and I'm probably not making sense.

I understand the difference between Apple Pay, and the Apple Card. No problem there.
Are you saying, when I use Tap to Pay with one of my physical cards, that even though the number on the receipt, and the number on my card match, there is actually a different number that gets passed to the vendor?

Posts: 3239 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are you saying, when I use Tap to Pay on one of my cards, that even though the number on the receipt, and the number on my card match, there is actually a different number that gets passed to the vendor?
No. I don't understand how you got that from what I wrote

ETA: Ah! I think I see it, now. See my edit to that post.

Using tap-to-pay is no different from using in-the-slot-to-pay.

ETA: Summary: When you use a real, physical CC, the vendor gets the actual CC number, regardless of whether it's tap-to-pay, insert-to-pay, or card swipe. This includes for the Apple Card. When you use Apple Pay, through iPhone or Apple Watch, they get a temporary virtual number--regardless of which CC is used.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
I guess I was confusing the one time security code with the card number on the Tap to Pay.

I think I have it now. As long as I don’t have to take a test I should be OK.

Thanks for helping me out.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess I was confusing the one time security code with the card number on the Tap to Pay.
Yeah, that "one time security code" is entirely transparent. I could explain it in more detail, but, it's really relatively uninteresting tech geek stuff Smile (Except to tech geeks.)

quote:
I think I have it now. As long as I don’t have to take a test I should be OK.

That "Summary" I wrote in one of the ETAs in my prior post is all you really need to know.

quote:
Thanks for helping me out.
You're welcome Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
<snip>
Using tap-to-pay is no different from using in-the-slot-to-pay.
<snip>

Yes, same security. But, oddly, in my stores tap-to-pay nearly always works flawlessly whereas in-the-slot-to-pay often takes two or more insertions. So strange since the card is optimally positioned with in-the-slot-to-pay.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8959 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

V-Tail's bank's wording is vague, leading one to believe the card employs a mechanism similar to that of Apple Pay or Google Pay. It doesn't. As I explained: The security they're talking about is card<->POS [2] terminal communications security using private/public key pair cryptography.
The bank is USAA. They sent an email stating that they would replace the old-fashioned plain vanilla VISA with a tap-to-pay card.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
But, oddly, in my stores tap-to-pay nearly always works flawlessly whereas in-the-slot-to-pay often takes two or more insertions.
Here's another oddity (going back to the speed-of-use question): Nine times out of ten I found Apple Pay would clear on the POS terminal faster than inserted CCs. And not by just a little >< either.

quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
The bank is USAA. They sent an email stating that they would replace the old-fashioned plain vanilla VISA with a tap-to-pay card.
Fair enough. But, still: The wording they used, while strictly accurate in a technical sense, could easily lead one to the wrong conclusion.

A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
It merely doesn't have the card number printed or embossed on the card. There's still a dedicated NNNN-NNNN-NNNN-NNNN card number associated with the card. Otherwise you'd never be able to use it in POS terminals.

I don't have an Apple Card anymore, but, if you go into your Apple Wallet on your phone there's a way you can get to the card's card number, expiration date, and CCV [1]. This is necessary to enable the use of the card for on-line transactions.

[1] Card Verification Value

Yeah, I know all of that and know where to find the number in Wallet. I can get a new number assigned right there if I need to. My point is there's no number on the card that a sneaky merchant can grab. Sure it's embedded in the code but the merchant never sees it, not even on their posting record or any transaction paperwork.

And let me add, since about 20 years ago, it's illegal for merchants to have terminals that print your card number on the paper receipt. I went through that when I had my business and had to get a new terminal that didn't print numbers on receipts. So if you see your number on a receipt, challenge the merchant.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
My point is there's no number on the card that a sneaky merchant can grab. Sure it's embedded in the code but the merchant never sees it, not even on their posting record or any transaction paperwork.
That's a bit different than what you were asserting previously, that "... the Apple Card is more than you assert." It's not.

quote:
And let me add, since about 20 years ago, it's illegal for merchants to have terminals that print your card number on the paper receipt.
The full number: Sure. But, every CC receipt I just checked in our "paperwork to process inbox" sitting behind me, from a variety of vendors and vendor types, has printed upon it some for of "XXXXXXXXXXXXNNNN," where "NNNN" are the last four digits of the card used.

I'd almost be willing to bet the rent that, if you used your physical Apple Card in a POS terminal and checked that field on your receipt against the Card's number in your Apple Wallet, you'd find they matched.

A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
My point is there's no number on the card that a sneaky merchant can grab. Sure it's embedded in the code but the merchant never sees it, not even on their posting record or any transaction paperwork.
That's a bit different than what you were asserting previously, that "... the Apple Card is more than you assert." It's not.

quote:
And let me add, since about 20 years ago, it's illegal for merchants to have terminals that print your card number on the paper receipt.
The full number: Sure. But, every CC receipt I just checked in our "paperwork to process inbox" sitting behind me, from a variety of vendors and vendor types, has printed upon it some for of "XXXXXXXXXXXXNNNN," where "NNNN" are the last four digits of the card used.

I'd almost be willing to bet the rent that, if you used your physical Apple Card in a POS terminal and checked that field on your receipt against the Card's number in your Apple Wallet, you'd find they matched.

Not he entire number

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I think there's misinformation in the previous few posts.

For chip cards where you "dip" and contactless "tap-to-pay" physical cards that use an embedded RFID chip, both of those methods pass an algorithmically generated "token" to the merchant for payment authorization. No full credit card account number is passed to the merchant unless it is lifted from the mag strip. The last 4 digits of a CC do not count, as that's often circulated as a means to identify the transaction.

The mag strip stores unencrypted credit card numbers, but not the RFID or EMV chips used for tap-to-pay or dipped transactions.

Just so we're all clear, in order of security:

1) Apple Pay, Google Wallet, etc. is most secure as it passes only a token, which can only be accessed using two factor authentication (device + password/biometric unlock).

2) Contactless RFID chip is next most secure, as it passes only a token without inserting the card (which may expose the mag strip to skimming)

3) Insert or dipped EMV chips cards also only pass a token, however, your whole card is inside the machine and your mag strip can potentially be skimmed for credit card numbers while dipped.

4) Online transactions using 16 digit account number + 3 or 4 digit security code, plus zip code and expiration date. Typically an additional layer of security on the merchant end using digital security certificates, IP addresses and the like

5) Swiped transactions using just the mag strip + signature from a terminal. The terminal ID should be recognized by the payment processor.

6) Manual transaction using credit card imprint + signature.

6) Phoned transactions with credit card number + security code.

Honorable mention for European style tap-to-pay or EMV card dip with 4 digit pin, which would take take the second spot if widely available here in the US.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
I think there's misinformation in the previous few posts.

For chip cards where you "dip" and contactless "tap-to-pay" physical cards that use an embedded RFID chip, both of those methods pass an algorithmically generated "token" to the merchant for payment authorization. No full credit card account number is passed to the merchant unless it is lifted from the mag strip.
Ok. Could be my information is out-of-date, then.

There's this: The Challenges and advantages of EMV Tokenization (2019), and, more recently, this: EMV® Payment Tokenisation (2022). So perhaps what these new cards are is the new tech?

If I was wrong, I appreciate the correction.

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Per ChatGPT:

Q: Do “tap to pay” terminals pass the full credit card number to the merchant?

A: No. The credit card number is not passed to the merchant when a "tap to pay" terminal is used. Instead, the payment information is sent securely from the terminal to the payment processor, which generates a one-time "token" to represent the customer's payment information. The token is then sent to the merchant, so the customer's actual credit card information is never exposed.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8959 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post