SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why don't some large retailers use tap for credit card payments?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why don't some large retailers use tap for credit card payments? Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
I might be wrong, but I suspect that tap-to-pay is more secure than magnetic strip readers.

You are not wrong, it is more secure. But, tap to pay still uses your actual credit card number inside the point of sale terminal.

Apple Pay is even more secure in this regard, as it creates a unique, one-time CC# for each transaction.
<snip>

Thanks Henry. After seeing your advice I began using my iPhone’s Apple Pay facility. I assume that there’s an Android equivalent. Correct?

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8958 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
I might be wrong, but I suspect that tap-to-pay is more secure than magnetic strip readers.

You are not wrong, it is more secure. But, tap to pay still uses your actual credit card number inside the point of sale terminal.

Apple Pay is even more secure in this regard, as it creates a unique, one-time CC# for each transaction.
<snip>

Thanks Henry. After seeing your advice I began using my iPhone’s Apple Pay facility. I assume that there’s an Android equivalent. Correct?

Yes, Google Wallet is the Android equivalent, and works the same way.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I received an email today from a bank, informing me that they will start sending out contact-less credit cards. The email indicated that one of the reasons, is security:
quote:
Each contactless transaction is secured with a unique one-time security code to help prevent fraud.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I received an email today from a bank, informing me that they will start sending out contact-less credit cards. The email indicated that one of the reasons, is security:
quote:
Each contactless transaction is secured with a unique one-time security code to help prevent fraud.

All of my credit cards are contactless cards and have been for a couple of years at least.

Because of this thread, I looked at the card readers in two places today, Big Lots and Habit Burger. Both had tap for payment and I did it in both places.

I had the feeling that every place I went had it and I was just confirming that because of this thread.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that's how the Andromeda Strain is transmitted- credit card contact.

Posts: 107610 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am in the apple watch payment camp most of the time. I do shop at Home Depot where they don't support tap pay. But a previous comment about using Apple pay and getting the virtual card number each time and the comment about merchants not being able to track your purchases now makes me wonder if I would be able to return items without a receipt like I do at HD. Hd just scans your return item and your credit card and the terminal will pull the appropriate sales info from their data base. I guess if using the virtual card each time this won't work anymore??

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
This is true, but, the CC number is the same CC number every time. The security they're talking about is card<->POS terminal commutations security using private/public key pair cryptography.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by straightshooter01:
I am in the apple watch payment camp most of the time. I do shop at Home Depot where they don't support tap pay. But a previous comment about using Apple pay and getting the virtual card number each time and the comment about merchants not being able to track your purchases now makes me wonder if I would be able to return items without a receipt like I do at HD. Hd just scans your return item and your credit card and the terminal will pull the appropriate sales info from their data base. I guess if using the virtual card each time this won't work anymore??

Nope. It still works. The handoff still happens at the bank and the bank knows. Think of it as end-to-end encryption with single-use keys where the merchant’s entire POS system is in the middle.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

They don’t all do that. My bank sent out a contactless card a couple weeks ago. I’ve tried it twice, and the last 4 numbers on the receipt, match the last 4 numbers on the card. So it’s really no more secure than inserting the card.

Posts: 3239 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
My flip phone does not offer payment options, and I like it that way.

flashguy

Yeah, I gave up the smartphone world a couple of years ago and have never gravitated to paying for stuff with my phone. And I feel fine. Even having a smartphone in the past, I didn't take with it me everywhere. Nowadays, one is expected to have one glued to the hip, and I think that is silly.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16704 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Yeah, that's how the Andromeda Strain is transmitted- credit card contact.

Well, Crichton said it started in Arizona so...

quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
Nowadays, one is expected to have one glued to the hip, and I think that is silly.

Unless you have legitimate uses for it other than socializing on a regular basis, you're right.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
…getting the fuck out of my way.
And THAT…is paramount to anything and everything else!! Just sayin’…

GTFOOMW

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Muddflap:
quote:
quote:

They don’t all do that. My bank sent out a contactless card a couple weeks ago. I’ve tried it twice, and the last 4 numbers on the receipt, match the last 4 numbers on the card. So it’s really no more secure than inserting the card.

If you have a card number printed on your card I'm not sure that's the same security you get with Apple Card. There's no number on the Apple Card, and no number printed on the receipt which is another reason I like it. Give it to a waiter to pay for a meal, and they disappear into their cave to run the card. Easy enough for them to copy down card numbers, security codes and expiration dates.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
They don’t all do that.
Yes, they do. It's part of the contactless NFC [1] communications protocol.

quote:
My bank sent out a contactless card a couple weeks ago. I’ve tried it twice, and the last 4 numbers on the receipt, match the last 4 numbers on the card.
That's because V-Tail's bank's wording is vague, leading one to believe the card employs a mechanism similar to that of Apple Pay or Google Pay. It doesn't. As I explained: The security they're talking about is card<->POS [2] terminal communications security using private/public key pair cryptography.

quote:
So it’s really no more secure than inserting the card.
No more or less secure than insert. Both are more secure than swipe.

EMV [3] card technology explained: Are contactless cards safe?

EMV readers are still susceptible to a kind of cloning called "card shimming." See: What Is an EMV Chip?. Apple and Google Pay are not.

quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
If you have a card number printed on your card I'm not sure that's the same security you get with Apple Card. There's no number on the Apple Card, ...
The Apple Card is no different than any other modern card. You're conflating Apple Card with Apple Pay. Any card you use with Apple Pay works the same as any other card, including the Apple Card.

The Apple Card is just a fancy titanium bank card with "Apple" branding. (And I'm pretty sure I used to see the last four of my Apple Card number on receipts on the rare occasions I inserted/swiped it, too.)

[1] Near-Field Communications
[2] Point Of Sale
[3] Europay/Mastercard/Visa

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^
Thanks for that good info ensigmatic. Concise and comprehensive.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8958 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

quote:
If you have a card number printed on your card I'm not sure that's the same security you get with Apple Card. There's no number on the Apple Card, ...
The Apple Card is no different than any other modern card. You're conflating Apple Card with Apple Pay. Any card you use with Apple Pay works the same as any other card, including the Apple Card.

The Apple Card is just a fancy titanium bank card with "Apple" branding. (And I'm pretty sure I used to see the last four of my Apple Card number on receipts on the rare occasions I inserted/swiped it, too.)

I've never seen a number, even just last four, printed on the receipt, but I'll admit for small, retail transaction, say under $25, I don't take a receipt because within 30 seconds or so I have a texted receipt, and I'm not one that labors over matching receipts to the monthly statement. I just review the charges listed, and several times a month I look thru the transactions via Wallet. Bogus charges are easy to detect.

And the Apple Card is more than you assert. Other cards will work with Apple Pay, but all of the ones I've seen have numbers on them. There might be other cards that don't display numbers, but I'm not aware of them. My Cap1 Visa card does, as does my Discover card. Both are loaded into Apple pay and only used as backup. I haven't used them via Apple Pay in years.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
And the Apple Card is more than you assert.
No, it is not. It's just a Goldman Sachs Mastercard with Apple's branding. And it's titanium, rather than plastic.

If you call "Apple" card services you get Goldman Sachs card services.

quote:
Other cards will work with Apple Pay, but all of the ones I've seen have numbers on them.
It merely doesn't have the card number printed or embossed on the card. There's still a dedicated NNNN-NNNN-NNNN-NNNN card number associated with the card. Otherwise you'd never be able to use it in POS terminals.

I don't have an Apple Card anymore, but, if you go into your Apple Wallet on your phone there's a way you can get to the card's card number, expiration date, and CCV [1]. This is necessary to enable the use of the card for on-line transactions.

[1] Card Verification Value

Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
ensigmatic, now I have myself confused.

When I make a payment with Apple Pay, no matter whether I use my Apple Card, or a debit card, or a different credit card, the the last four digits on the receipt do not match the actual numbers on the card I used. If I look in my wallet, I can see the numbers that Apple uses, and they match the numbers on the receipt.

I guess I was expecting the same thing when I used the Tap to Pay. If I understand you, even though the card number on the receipt matches the card, that’s not the actual number that passes between the card and the reader.

Is that right?

Posts: 3239 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
NavyGuy, I’ve never seen a receipt that didn’t have the last four numbers on it. But I should admit I don’t look at every receipt.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
ensigmatic, now I have myself confused.

When I make a payment with Apple Pay, no matter whether I use my Apple Card, or a debit card, or a different credit card, the the last four digits on the receipt do not match the actual numbers on the card I used.
Again: Do not conflate the Apple Card with Apple Pay. They are two entirely separate and (mostly) unrelated things [1].

The reason you don't see the card number on a card when it's used via Apple Pay is, as previously mentioned, Apple Pay gives POS terminals a one-time-use virtual CC number for that one transaction--regardless of card used.

Apple Pay's servers, when the Apple Pay transaction is handed-off to them, create the association between the one-time-use virtual card number and the real card with which it's associated. This happens outside the context of the POS terminal. This is why a compromised POS terminal can't compromise a CC used via Apple Pay.

quote:
If I look in my wallet, I can see the numbers that Apple uses, and they match the numbers on the receipt.
But they don't match those of the card used, correct?

ETA: Wait: Which wallet? Real, physical wallet or Apple Wallet? I'd assumed the latter because you wrote "the numbers Apple uses."

quote:
I guess I was expecting the same thing when I used the Tap to Pay.
Tap-to-pay and insert-in-slot EMV chip technology are the same thing. I imagine those in-the-slot readers are probably using NFC internally.

[1] The main differences being you manage your Apple Card via your Apple Wallet, which you cannot do with non-Apple cards.