SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why don't some large retailers use tap for credit card payments?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why don't some large retailers use tap for credit card payments? Login/Join 
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
This will work even if you don't have an Apple Credit card designated as the default card. But then your actual CC number is used instead of the one time number you get with the Apple Card.

Not so. Whether using a credit or debit card via Apple Pay, the merchant's POS terminal never gets your real number, regardless of issuing bank. It's very secure compared to just about any other electronic payment method.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
It's coming...

Posts: 2771 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Politics in an apolitical thread.

Posts: 107611 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Politics in an apolitical thread.

Your call if it needs to go...machts nicht

Posts: 2771 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Of course it's my call, but what's important is that you understand why that video has no place in this thread.

would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
I do not post here with the intention of breaking any of the rules of moderation.

A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
This will work even if you don't have an Apple Credit card designated as the default card. But then your actual CC number is used instead of the one time number you get with the Apple Card.

Not so. Whether using a credit or debit card via Apple Pay, the merchant's POS terminal never gets your real number, regardless of issuing bank. It's very secure compared to just about any other electronic payment method.

-Rob

Well then I stand corrected. I was under the impression the ambiguous card number was a function of the Apple Card issued by Goldman Sachs. I've only used my Apple Credit card although I have another card registered in the Apple Wallet.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sse:
I do not post here with the intention of breaking any of the rules of moderation.
Which makes it all the more important that you understand why that clip does not belong in this thread. If you had posted it with the intent of breaking the rules, that means that you understood why it should not be here. Posting it in good faith indicates that clarification was in order.

I am making a point of this not only to you, but so other posting members can get a refresher on the subject. With rare exception, there is a clear dividing line in this forum between political and apolitical threads.

Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
NavyGuy, I use my bank debit card on Apple Pay all the time. The last 4 digits, shown on the receipt, do not match the last 4 digits on my debit card.

Posts: 3239 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Muddflap:
NavyGuy, I use my bank debit card on Apple Pay all the time. The last 4 digits, shown on the receipt, do not match the last 4 digits on my debit card.

Cool. I still don't use my debit card unless there is a significant cash advantage. Such as a merchant offering a reduced cost for cash or DC and if it's more than the 2% cash back from the Apple card. . Honestly, unless it's sizeable purchase, I don't agonize over which payment offers the most advantage and just use my Apple card. Safe, secure, instantaneous notifications of the transaction via text, some money back. Use the physical card, phone watch or on line. What's not to like.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Walmart still has the "insert the card" and I believe Home Depot as well.

I'm sure the reason they haven't changed is the cost of replacing the readers for not much benefit in return.

As their customers move to having their credit cards on their smart phones instead, I think that will push them to change their readers.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19665 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
As their customers move to having their credit cards on their smart phones instead, I think that will push them to change their readers.
Credit Card

Smart phone

These are two separate things. I'm not going to have my credit card on my smart phone, just like I'm not going to have a ham sandwich on my shoes.

People already have their face glued to their little electronic pacifier far too often. When I'm standing in line at a register, I don't want to see people gawking at the damn thing when they're supposed to be doing two things: Paying for their purchase and getting the fuck out of my way.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
People already have their face glued to their little electronic pacifier far too often. When I'm standing in line at a register, I don't want to see people gawking at the damn thing when they're supposed to be doing two things: Paying for their purchase and getting the fuck out of my way.
I can understand the many reasons people may have for not wanting their CC info on their mobile devices, but, Apple Pay is actually faster than a CC--particularly if you're using an Apple Watch. That's one of the many reasons I prefer to use it.

(But, I do agree with you re: The utility of having a ham sandwich on ones shoes.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
"I can't pay for my groceries because I left my phone at home."

Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
I can understand the many reasons people may have for not wanting their CC info on their mobile devices, but, Apple Pay is actually faster than a CC--particularly if you're using an Apple Watch. That's one of the many reasons I prefer to use it.

Apple Pay in any form is NOT 'faster' than an contactless CC Transaction, unless you're including fumbling for your wallet and then retrieving your CC as part of the transaction time. Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8888 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Apple Pay in any form is NOT 'faster' than an contactless CC Transaction, unless you're including fumbling for your wallet and then retrieving your CC as part of the transaction time.

Well, most folks have the phone out in their hands all the time so it might be a bit quicker.

Will agree the Apple Watch with a CC on it is fast becoming a favorite payment option for me, at least at gas pumps.

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
"I can't pay for my groceries because I left my phone at home."
"Oh, wait! I have my wallet. *Whew*"

"I can't pay for my groceries because I forgot my wallet. Sure wish I had Apple Pay/Google Pay." Big Grin

(That actually happened to me, one time, going for takeout. I did have phone, watch, and Apple Pay, though.)

quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
Apple Pay in any form is NOT 'faster' than an contactless CC Transaction, unless you're including fumbling for your wallet and then retrieving your CC as part of the transaction time. Wink
I am Smile And putting them both back.

And if, like me, you've more than one card per slot in your wallet, getting the card picked out of there can be an exercise in manual dexterity.

quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Will agree the Apple Watch with a CC on it is fast becoming a favorite payment option for me, at least at gas pumps.
They put new pumps in at the nearby gas station a couple years ago. Now all I do it double-click the side-button on my watch, hold it up to the reader, and go. It's a Beautiful Thing Smile

Beside the convenience: No more wondering if that pumps card reader is compromised.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:

Will agree the Apple Watch with a CC on it is fast becoming a favorite payment option for me, at least at gas pumps. They put new pumps in at the nearby gas station a couple years ago. Now all I do it double-click the side-button on my watch, hold it up to the reader, and go. It's a Beautiful Thing Smile

Beside the convenience: No more wondering if that pumps card reader is compromised.[/QUOTE]

Just about every week I see notifications of pump readers stealing CC numbers. I've never heard of a NFC reader being compromised. I used to have problems getting cards to read on some of these outdoor readers. I think it's the moisture, dust etc that easily get's into them. Since the NFC advancement zero issues.

-D.H. Lawrence

Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
I am Smile And putting them both back.

And if, like me, you've more than one card per slot in your wallet, getting the card picked out of there can be an exercise in manual dexterity.

Seems you're carrying WAY too many cards then. As Apple Pay is obviously your primary/preferred method of payment, how many back up methods do you need? One should be enough, I'd think... Wink

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

They put new pumps in at the nearby gas station a couple years ago. Now all I do it double-click the side-button on my watch, hold it up to the reader, and go. It's a Beautiful Thing Smile

Beside the convenience: No more wondering if that pumps card reader is compromised.

Nearly ALL the Gas Pumps I see in NH (and ALL the ones I use) have Contactless CC Readers, so there is NO 'wondering if the card reader is compromised'...It's NOT a thing!

Further, as so eloquently put by Para, "Paying for their purchase and getting the fuck out of my way" is my SOP. I take this as a challenge, regardless of whether I'm paying in a store, or at the pump, I pride myself at being ahead of the 'machine' at ALL times, especially at self-checkout, so there is ZERO time lost in the process.

In store I'm removing my wallet from my pocket with one hand while I selective the Method of Payment with the other. My CC is already in my hand by the time the POS Terminal is even ready to accept the contactless CC payment. I use one CC for EVERYTHING, and have one backup, so ZERO fumbling. Heck, the bag is even already in my hand and I'm ready to head towards the door while I'm waiting for the receipt to be printed.

At the pump, it's just as seamless and fluid. By the time I get to the back of the car (driver's side) my wallet is in my hand. Once I arrive at the pump on the passenger side rear corner, my CC is in hand, and then read by the contactless reader. Card in wallet and wallet put back in my pocket while I then remove the gas cap with the other hand. The Transaction is approved before I even get the gas cap off! Turn to grab the fuel pump nozzle, selecting Premium with the other hand. Once fueled up, I replace the nozzle, and select 'Printed Receipt'. Then it's put the gas cap back on, close the fuel door, and grab the receipt. It's actually NOT possible to shave ANY time off that process! And if I was using Apply Pay in any form, it wouldn't be any faster!

Inconsiderate people are the problem. Idiots that slow the purchase/payment process down while others are waiting in line do so regardless of whether they're using Apple Pay or a CC...Just Sayin' Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8888 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I have 2 cards, one in my wallet and the other in my shirt pocket. At the checkout position I use the one in my shirt pocket (preselected). I stab or slide the card, dependent on the reader. My flip phone does not offer payment options, and I like it that way.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post