SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A way to fight back against telemarketers
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A way to fight back against telemarketers Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
The worst telemarketer is marketing companies connected with Google!

Several numbers, saying their different marketing companies hired by Google. Tell them to remove your number and 2 days later, a new number starts calling. Multiple times a day!

This shit has been going on for years!

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I'm of the "if I don't recognize your number, I'm blocking you and any related SMS." On my old android phone I found an app to block out anything not in my contacts list. My new Huawei phone runs android 7 and EMUI 5.1 (soon to be updated to Oreo / EMUI 8.0) and has the function built in so no extra app is needed. They work flawlessly. If you need to contact me and you're not in my list there's voicemail. Granted a very few voicemails have been el crapo telemonkeyshit stuff but not enough to annoy me. And as a result I have to exert minimal energy to ignore these asshats. Screwing with them simply doesn't pass my sanity check.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16257 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
^^^

Block or ignore.

It is not going to stop, and I am not wasting any time on dealing with them.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43926 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:....Block or ignore.....

We found out the "block caller" memory on our landline if full, will take no more numbers. So we are in ignore mode if we don't recognize the number.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
My credo on phone calls:

If it’s important, they’ll leave a message.

If it’s really important, they’ll send the sheriff!

Posts: 2944 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
I can afford my own cruise since I got that wonderful credit card interest deal. But only if the fbi lets me off......

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6323 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Collins:
I got rid of telemarketers when I finally pulled the plug on our landline phone. I never get any on my cellphone.

You are a lucky sonofagun. I hope you realize that.

Posts: 26949 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Collins:
I got rid of telemarketers when I finally pulled the plug on our landline phone. I never get any on my cellphone.

I don't believe you. What's your cell number?

(I was kidding...)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigmonkey,

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43926 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I work nights on 12 hour shifts. I usually turn off my phone when I get home, but occasionally I forget. There is nothing worse than having my few hours of precious sleep interrupted by some asshole peddling unsolicited BS.

I sincerely hope that every person who works in this industry dies of a raging herpes infection...but I'm quite capable of telling them them this myself. I don't need a machine to do it. Sadly, you rarely even get the satisfaction of telling them off anymore since most of them are robocalls.

Posts: 8671 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I asked one for his social security number right off the bat and he got all wound up about how I was trying to scam him when all he was doing was trying to offer me a service. We went around in a circle for a bit before he hung up on me.

Posts: 4284 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
.... We went around in a circle for a bit before he hung up on me.

That's my favorite method! I can be much more annoying than they can.

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2183 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Speedbird
posted Hide Post
I'm convinced they have access to some kind of shared database that focuses on valid PH #'s. Asking to be removed, hanging-up, screwing with them etc. didn't seem to have much effect. But, the last couple months when they call, I interuprt and tell them and politely inform them this is a business line. The call quickly ends and the number of calls I been getting has SIGNIFICANTLY dropped off. Thus IMO my home number is now being tracked as a business and not worth their time.

Posts: 508 | Location: Fort Couch (VA) | Registered: December 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
excellent idea...never thought of that - my business does pay for my cell phone and my VOIP phone

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53240 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
I reject the calls, let them roll to voicemail. On the rare occasion I pick one up and realize its a scammer or telemarketer, I use this:

"Trayvon ain't here."

Click.

Then I block the number.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine setup Lenny.

http://www.independent.co.uk/l...-prank-a6813081.html

It’s made for some entertaining replays.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2366 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I sometimes answer and if it's a human telemarketer I just say, "One moment please I'll connect you."
Then tap the mouth piece twice and in a different
voice say, "FBI, can we help you?"
Stay safe.
Poli Viejo

Posts: 395 | Location: Green Valley, Arizona | Registered: May 01, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
I asked the last guy if I could just give him my credit card number so we could get this call over with. Asked if he’d be needing the numbers off the back too. Offered my moms maiden name. The catch was he would agree to never call me again. I’m an asshole I guess.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5166 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post