SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A way to fight back against telemarketers
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A way to fight back against telemarketers Login/Join 
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted
Disclaimer: I've not tried this service personally, but find the concept amusing. Smile

http://www.jollyrogertelco.com/

So what this does is allow you to text the service while waiting for the actual telemarketer to appear on the call. The service then calls your phone which you patch through to the telemarketer and mute your line, and when the TM bozo does get on the line an AI robot screws with the telemarketer automatically and strings them along while you listen in. Brilliant!

Posts: 11365 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Really? Are we so inept, wussy, or whatever you want to call it, that we now need to pay someone to ignore phone calls? Roll Eyes

Q

Posts: 26506 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
I finally got so fed up with the "spammer" calls that I just put my phone on permanent "do not disturb" then set "do not disturb" to allow anyone in my address book through. No more stopping what I am doing to check who is calling, if they are not in my contacts I don't even hear a ring. I'll see the missed call next time I look at the phone and if they left a message I'll listen to it. If not I'll just smile that "do not disturb" did its job, ignore the missed call, and carry on.

Posts: 6926 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
I just use the block feature on my phone. Guess I will be not getting any of those cruises I keep winning. I think 6 is enough though, Ill let someone else win

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8228 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
I have two replies to telemarketers #1-say no one here to authorize any purchases or change in utilities and give them our Alaska home office number (one made up in my head) or #2-go into an accent so hard to understand that they give up. Just gotta play with them. It's really got to be a hard job on the other end. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't need no app to deal with telemarketers. Call at your own risk.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13410 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I like the V-Tail method... Lol

Posts: 13148 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
Funny, there are no humans on the line with any of the calls I get here. Just robots.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rbert0005:
Funny, there are no humans on the line with any of the calls I get here. Just robots.

Bob

Skynet bob, i warned you!

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8228 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Really? Are we so inept, wussy, or whatever you want to call it, that we now need to pay someone to ignore phone calls? Roll Eyes

I think the point is that you don't have to do anything on your end (waste time) and they get burned. The same thing they do to you. (robo call). I don't even bother answering anymore because most of the time nobody is there.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7083 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Anchor:
I have two replies to telemarketers #1-say no one here to authorize any purchases or change in utilities and give them our Alaska home office number (one made up in my head) or #2-go into an accent so hard to understand that they give up. Just gotta play with them. It's really got to be a hard job on the other end. Chris

I like this response. Since I don't have a home office in Alaska the following number might work

Contact number for the NSA 301-688-6524.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
so we end up with machines talking to machines? Isn't that how Skynet got started?

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
I like the V-Tail method... Lol
Just talk to them. That's what telephones are for.

What are you wearing?

Do you have underwear on? What color is it?

Are you coming over to see me? Will you bring ice cream?

What's your name?

Do you wear anything when you sleep?

Do you have a dog?

Is it raining where you are?

Are you going to send me a credit card?

Sometimes they take me for a walk, but I'm not allowed to drive the car anymore.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30738 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got rid of telemarketers when I finally pulled the plug on our landline phone. I never get any on my cellphone.

Posts: 693 | Location: E. Central Missouri | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:

So what this does is allow you to text the service while waiting for the actual telemarketer to appear on the call. The service then calls your phone which you patch through to the telemarketer and mute your line, and when the TM bozo does get on the line an AI robot screws with the telemarketer automatically and strings them along while you listen in. Brilliant!

I dislike spam calls because they waste my time. This looks like it requires even more effort than just ignoring the call and then blocking the number. So, I'd have to give it a thumbs down.

I do like slosig's approach: Put your phone on full-time do-not-disturb. If you're not in my contact list, your call does not come through. I know this is not practical for some folks, but almost all the calls I get are from my wife or my kids, so this is a great solution for me.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6426 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Collins:
I got rid of telemarketers when I finally pulled the plug on our landline phone. I never get any on my cellphone.

Give it time, they'll find you.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7004 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I have been robocalls - several a day - for the past few weeks

just started all of a sudden and I'm on the do not call list but apparently its not enough

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53240 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Suggested in my no more telemarketers thread,

https://www.nomorobo.com/

I use the block caller feature of my phone supplier, Spectrum, you login to your spectrum account, go to phone services, block callers, and add any calls that come in from the caller ID into their web site, it's free, whereas nomorobo is a few bucks a month.

Advantage to nomorobo is that you get the benefit of others who enter robo call data into the database.

Posts: 23590 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
I finally got so fed up with the "spammer" calls that I just put my phone on permanent "do not disturb" then set "do not disturb" to allow anyone in my address book through. No more stopping what I am doing to check who is calling, if they are not in my contacts I don't even hear a ring. I'll see the missed call next time I look at the phone and if they left a message I'll listen to it. If not I'll just smile that "do not disturb" did its job, ignore the missed call, and carry on.

What version operating system do you have that offers that feature?

I ask because i'm still using an "antique" Android v2.4.2 and am in the market for a new phone.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16257 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
I have been robocalls - several a day - for the past few weeks

just started all of a sudden and I'm on the do not call list but apparently its not enough

Wireless or landline? Because such calls to wireless number are a violation of FCC rules.

Of course; Getting the FCC to actually follow-up and punish the cretins is another matter.

I activated T-Mobile's spam blocker on my wireless phone. Our LL is via CallCentric VoIP, now, and it has extensive, and configurable, spam/scam call handling. Our telespammer call rate has dropped from 3-5/day to maybe 3-5 a month--if that.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post