SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Five economists will decide how much Californians pay in reparations
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Five economists will decide how much Californians pay in reparations Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by urbanwarrior238:
Did our Asian Americans get any Reparations when they were sent to the relocation camps in WW2?

I know they finally got an apology and I know those from the camps who joined the armed forces are the most decorated due to their actions.

I truly cant remember if they got a payout. Or did they accept the apology and learn from History that this should never happen again.

One of the inconsistencies to how Executive Order 9066 was carried out, was that those Japanese-Americans who were living east of the Rockies, were not put into internment camps, only those citizens who lived in AK, CA, OR & WA were rounded up. Those living in Hawaii remained on the islands.

During Carter's admin an investigation was started, and in 1988 Reagan signed the Civil Liberties Act of 1988 which officially apologized for the incarceration on behalf of the U.S. government and authorized a payment of $20,000 to living internees.

Posts: 14656 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
The NAACP's own site says that CA was a free state and there were no slaves here.

So let's just pretend that reparations will flow and all those deemed worthy will receive their just due. My questions:

1. Will the Black community start to behave?

2. Will the epidemic of single parenting end?

3. Will Blacks start to respect the family unit?

4. Will the Black community start going to college and learning a valuable trade?

None of that will happen and we'll just see more of the same. The excuse will be that the reparations weren't enough to lift them up out of the effects of slavery. The reparations will be just be considered a down payment with more needed.

Posts: 4079 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gavin Newsom has no intention of ever paying reparations. This is a publicity stunt to make the diehard leftist happy for a while.

If you've followed Greasy Gav Newsom over the past few months, he has made more moderate statements regarding illegal immigration. He's running for the Democrat presidential nomination for 2024. He knows he's more electable that FJB and Ms. Harris.

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Sad news for California taxpayers. And for California bond owners; the tax coffers aren’t overflowing.

“The five economists who will determine just how much the state will pay black Californians for historic injustices include a professor who has called for nationwide reparations of up to $14trillion.

I wouldn't care...
Except: It doesn't stay in California. They want everyone, everywhere to pay. As long as California remains a State, they hurt the rest of us.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dammit, why shouldn’t I be mad about Hadrian’s Wall? Separated my Scots ancestors from Northern England. That’s discrimination! And what about that Norman invasion! Talk about a violation of rights! And what about my American ancestors who had to leave the south after the civil war! Who do I sue? What about the Dust Bowl? My ancestors got no compensation for that! I need reparations!

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
This is NOT going to happen. The proposed guidelines are FULL of California government bureaucracy. For instance to prove you were a direct descendent of slaves you must trace your ancestry back to the 1800s. That is not a simple task. You must also prove that you are African American. That will not be easy. On and on. It is California and should just be a curiousity for those living in other states.

You forget..Comifornia will probably set up a committee/bureau to help all those who apply do their tracing, etc. so that all those 'eligible' get their dues..at taxpayer expense of course.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1376 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironbutt:
If CA owes reparations to anybody, shouldn't it be the Mexicans & native Americans that occupied the state a couple hundred years ago?

Bravo! I agree..You just punched a hole or plugged a whole, in their "what about me" floodgate of claims.

The insanity. Where does it stop?

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1376 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by urbanwarrior238:

The insanity. Where does it stop?

Personally, I want reparations for Watts and all the other areas burned down and looted by the black community.

At least that way the ones responsible can pay and the ones that were injured either physically or financially can be compensated.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Defining Reparations

2. RESTITUTION AND REPATRIATION:
Restitution means to “re-establish the
situation which existed before the
wrongful act was committed.” Changes
traced to the wrongful act are reversed
through restoration of freedom,
recognition of humanity, identity,
culture, repatriation, livelihood,
citizenship, legal standing, and wealth to
the extent they can be, and if they
cannot, restitution is completed by
compensation.

So do you think they will decide to re-patriate the (former) slaves to their original tribe?
That was what Abe Lincoln thought should be done...

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
Defining Reparations

compensation.

So do you think they will decide to re-patriate the (former) slaves to their original tribe?

Well, if we did, the crime rate would drop by around 50%, so I'd say it's a great idea unless you're employed in the criminal justice system.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All of these " What about me " or " What about this group or that one ? " These reparations are not about justice or making anyone whole . It's about courting votes from a particular demographic and nothing else . Native Americans , Irish , Scottish , and Chinese don't count .

Posts: 4058 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
Defining Reparations

compensation.

The black college professor Dr. Walter Williams said we should look at what people would have had if the wrong was not committed. Since they would have remained in a 3rd world country, their present-day descendants would be far worse off. While in no way saying slavery was good or rightous, the point is that descendants of slaves in the USA today are far better off than had their ancestors never been brought here as slaves.

Posts: 9448 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fly-Sig:
The black college professor Dr. Walter Williams said we should look at what people would have had if the wrong was not committed. Since they would have remained in a 3rd world country, their present-day descendants would be far worse off. While in no way saying slavery was good or rightous, the point is that descendants of slaves in the USA today are far better off than had their ancestors never been brought here as slaves.

If they weren't ingrates, they'd get on their knees every morning and thank God they were brought here instead of staying in Africa.

Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
He's got to pay taxes to California for ten years from the time he stopped being a resident of the state. Seems only fair that he should receive some benefit, as well. Razz
Is that special treatment for Elon, or does that apply to all who escape from Kommiefornia? If the latter, can you provide a pointer to the applicable law?
Thanks!

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JR78
posted Hide Post
How about reparations for the Jews? They've been shit on a lot worst and a lot longer than slaves were.

Posts: 1964 | Location: DFW | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
What about someone 25-50% of ‘African’ blood?

What about individuals who came here in the last 15 years, from Africa, Canada, wherever?

Are the decedents of tribes in Africa going to chip in? You know, the ones that sold others into the slave trade?

Say a distant relative died fighting with the Union Army, will they be exempt?

10 years after these reparations are paid, with no improvement with lives, then what? Do we pay again?

Yes, I’ll sit back & watch, outside the CA border.

Posts: 6161 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
“I'm fat because everytime I do your girlfriend, she gives me a cookie”.

This gave me soooooo much enjoyment!

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post