SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Five economists will decide how much Californians pay in reparations
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Five economists will decide how much Californians pay in reparations Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
Sad news for California taxpayers. And for California bond owners; the tax coffers aren’t overflowing.

“The five economists who will determine just how much the state will pay black Californians for historic injustices include a professor who has called for nationwide reparations of up to $14trillion.

Other members of the expert panel advising California's Reparations Task Force on what they believe would be a fair amount repaid to the descendants of racial discrimination have said there is no such thing as a black middle class and argued the plight of Native Americans is 'irrelevant.'

Woke professors William Spriggs, Thomas Craemer, Kaycea Campbell, William A 'Sandy' Darity Jr and his wife, lecturer Kirstin Mullen, are charged with quantifying the past economic injustices African Americans faced and determining how much compensation black Californians should receive for those crimes.

The controversial task force now has until the end of June to submit its final report outlining just how much black Californians are owed and how many residents would be entitled to the funds. …”

DailyMail article:
https://mol.im/a/11590381

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Will the extortion ever end?

Posts: 22909 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
California wasn't even a State when slavery was abolished. It was still owned by Mexico. They want reparations? Get it in pesos.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8349 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My great grandfather was permanently disabled as a result of being drafted by the Union Army in the Civil War attempting to free the slaves. Where do I sign up for my reparations?

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
The panel can make all the recommendations they want. Let me know when the Legislature passes a bill and the Governor signs it.

Posts: 3383 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
The panel can make all the recommendations they want. Let me know when the Legislature passes a bill and the Governor signs it.

You mean, like wake you up when flowing lava is at the door?

Q

Posts: 26390 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
At the door to California, yes.

Posts: 3383 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Are they paying it to Native Americans? They were slaves there a lot longer, and still were after emancipation.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
So am I to understand that a state that never had slavery wants people who never owned slaves to pay people who were never slaves? Roll Eyes

California has a dishonorable past when it came to treatment of peoples like the Californios (Mexican inhabitants), Indians (at least one tribe went extinct) and Chinese. Yet no mention of reparations for them? Even for those people, the time window for reparations (when they would actually mean something) closed about 1930. And the grizzly bear depicted on the state flag? Those were extirpated before the century was out.

If enacted, this will be difficult to fight. No tax collectors will be going house to house, turning people upside down and shaking all their coins out of their pockets. No, it will simply take the form of higher taxes and fees.

California's economy and natural resources are greater than those of a number of countries - combined. Maybe it's time for it to become its own country and quit fucking up the rest of ours. I never thought I'd be saying that, even if only half seriously, about my home state.

Posts: 27963 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
California wasn't even a State when slavery was abolished. It was still owned by Mexico. They want reparations? Get it in pesos.

Just for clarification CA was admitted to as a state in 1850.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing that 94% of the states population now identifies as "African American" ?

Posts: 1348 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomV:
I'm guessing that 94% of the states population now identifies as "African American" ?

So would Elon Musk have received reparations if he were still a resident of California?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
If Newsome ever wanted to run for President, how far do you think he would get if he signed a bill requiring reparations in California?

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
The panel can make all the recommendations they want.

That such a panel even exists is disturbing enough.

Posts: 27963 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by TomV:

So would Elon Musk have received reparations if he were still a resident of California?

He's got to pay taxes to California for ten years from the time he stopped being a resident of the state. Seems only fair that he should receive some benefit, as well. Razz

I heard nothing about the Asians who were enslaved and made to work on our railways and such. But I'm sure they'll receive reparations, as well, right?

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go to any Union civil war cemetery and look at all the headstones. PAID IN FULL!

“I'm fat because everytime I do your girlfriend, she gives me a cookie”.

Posts: 546 | Registered: December 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go to the Big Creek Cemetery outside Sparta, Wisconsin, and you can see a headstone for THREE brothers lost in the Civil War... one at the start, one midway, and one at the end.

Paid in full, indeed.

That said, the committee of California idiots doesn't limit the reparations to just slavery anymore. They've now expanded reparations to cover all perceived slights up through today.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2067 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Are they paying it to Native Americans? They were slaves there a lot longer, and still were after emancipation.

There's 21 missions and a handful of Presidios that had 'questionable labor' practices when they were constructed...

Posts: 14656 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dan03833
posted Hide Post
Would this be a one time thing, or in 5 years would there be demands for more? Ten or twenty years from now, would those who didn't get theirs want thier fair share?

Posts: 1538 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: February 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post