SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Brown Paper Grocery Bags Everywhere Once Again!
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brown Paper Grocery Bags Everywhere Once Again! Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
I remember growing up with the old school brown paper, grocery bags and then seeing the transition sometime in my late teens to the plastic handle bags.

It seems like now these things are back everywhere, my wife does grocery pickup from Aldi and from a local grocery chain called Giant and they both use the old school brown paper bags.

I don’t know about you, but these things are virtually useless to me, you can’t use them the same way, as you would a plastic bag, which were useful in many ways. I kind of miss the plastic bags but they seem to be disappearing rapidly.

The Giant bags do have the handles but the Aldi ones do not and they all go right into the recycling as soon as we empty them.

Anyone else seeing this?

Posts: 33594 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Yes and I'd rather have the plastic bags too. Far more useful. Guess the greenies aren't out to save trees anymore.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38596 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
No, not yet. Not everywhere in any case. The local Whole Foods uses exclusively paper bags here, but most every other supermarket including the local Walmart is still plastic...thank God.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30294 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Harris Teeter does paper- we use them when we go to OC Md. they’ve been doing paper for quite a while now.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15500 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Choosing between paper and plastic has been in-place out here for 10+ years.
Most of the time, for my general super market shopping, I'll opt for paper. I can use the bag to throw my recyclables in there and pitch it all into the bin weekly. Smaller shops they usually only have plastic bags, and that's fine, those bags use for separating wet-food garbage, wet clothes (swim gear/shoes) or, picking dog shit.

Posts: 14564 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
This is just evidence of the ABSOLUTE ABSURDITY of these Leftist Environmentalists! Numerous Leftist run Commie States have banned what they've termed 'single use plastic bags', and they're VERY proud of themselves for doing so...Hello, New Jermany! Roll Eyes

In the meantime virtually EVERYTHING you can buy in the store comes in single use packaging made of plastic, and all the while, the plastic bag they're banning actually CAN be used more than once and often is, or it's recycled. By banning the 'single use plastic bag', the consumer market is forced to use (manufacture & purchase) even more single use plastic bags for use in small garbage cans, etc, and not to mention that ALL of these plastic bags are are made from, wait for it...OIL!

And don't forget, one of the MAJOR drivers in the move to plastic bags in the first place was that they wanted to ban paper bags in order to save the trees! Roll Eyes

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8784 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
We use paper grocery bags to collect the paper stuff we burn. always choose paper over plastic where we can. Our local grocery store however informed us that once the current supply of paper bags is exhausted, they will no longer offer the option

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
New Jersey banned "single use bags" last May. I had popped into a Wawa on the way to my sisters in my rental car from the Philadelphia airport for a quick sandwich and coffee, and when I asked for a bag for my sandwich, the guy informed no bags or I had to pay like $0.25, or maybe it was even a dollar. Before I could stop myself I said "are you fucking kidding me?" I then quickly said never mind and walked over to wait for my sandwich. It was then I noticed the little fresh pastry shelf with all of those little plastic bags and parchment paper for your bakery item underneath. I grabbed one of those plastic bags and stowed my sandwich and napkins in there. Ridiculous Euro-weenie bullshit.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30294 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
i prefer paper myself. Especially if they have handles. Plastic end up everywhere and are a blite.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19108 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Handy for putting over your head at Saints games. Plastic just does not cut it.

Posts: 17173 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
When VA imposed the nickle tax on plastic bags, many grocery stores started offering paper as an option. That has pretty much ended, if you want a bag, bring your own re-usable ones, or pay. Yes, it is stupid, but when has that mattered to the greenies?

Posts: 6396 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Paper bag family here, holds more stuff.

Posts: 22854 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer paper. Much stronger and holds more stuff. I cringe when it takes 3 plastic bags to hold a gallon of milk so the handles don’t rip

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6218 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A bit different viewpoint here--We have two cats, both rescues. Strictly indoor, don't want them out in the fleas, ticks, coyotes, hawks, etc. Scoop out the litter box every day. Goes into plastic grocery bags, then into the downstairs trashcan. Tied well to prevent cat poop stink from permeating the basement. We NEED plastic grocery bags! Paper ones won't do the same job.

Posts: 1637 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: June 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife has about 6-7 cloth bags in the back of her car that she takes in when she shops. They are pretty heavy duty. Doesn't seem very difficult and we don't have so many bags to get rid of.

Posts: 124 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I've always had the choice (ours have handles) and prefer it over plastic. They carry more than a plastic bag and burn better, degrade better, and if you do recycle, they don't clog the machinery, or so they tell me. I get cardboard picked up and they don't want any kind of plastic bags in there.
The only thing I use them for is emptying the vacuum canister,if they haven't developed holes by then. I can re-use the paper bags at the store a couple times before they lose their integrity. Wood is good and so is paper.

Posts: 7319 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Paper for me as well. Not only do they hold more stuff, but they keep the stuff from rolling around in the back of the car on the way home.

Posts: 10816 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I absolutely HATE paper bags! When I was a young boy, not nearly old enough to drive, my Momma would send me to the grocery store for some groceries. On the way home, it seemed like it never failed to rain and the stinking bags simply disintegrated.

That left me trying to figure out how to get the stuff that was in the bags, and now wasn't in the bags, home.

A wet mess! Never ended well.

Bob

Posts: 1558 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbaturbo:
My wife has about 6-7 cloth bags in the back of her car that she takes in when she shops. They are pretty heavy duty. Doesn't seem very difficult and we don't have so many bags to get rid of.

8 states now require you to either bring your own bag or pay for one.

https://www.eatthis.com/news-s...anning-plastic-bags/

Maine
Connecticut
New York
Deleware
Oregon
Vermont
Hawaii
California

Bonus points for figuring out what all 8 states have in common.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Also Colorado

Posts: 3483 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post