SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Brown Paper Grocery Bags Everywhere Once Again!
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brown Paper Grocery Bags Everywhere Once Again! Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Some of the sacks my wife takes in with her are some kind of canvas-like cloth and some are recycled animal feed bags (I think) with handles sewn on that somebody in the family made. They're all about the size of large paper sacks. Oklahoma doesn't have any requirements about bags as far as I know. Taking in our own bags is no trouble at all and cuts down on the crap we have to throw away. This thread is the most thought I think I have ever given to the subject.

Posts: 124 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
we've got way more uses for a Noble Paper Bag than the never-go-away plastic sack....although they do have some limited uses if one has fish guts or cat scat to deal with.

And Oregon has seen fit to give us a choice of owner/operator reusable models, it all works out anyway.

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember very distinctly the time dad said
" So let me get this straight, we are supposed to spend $4.00 per month on bags to throw away? "

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
I'll sometimes remember to bring in the reusable bags from the car but if I don't I'll take plastic. They're great small trash can liners or I recycle them as very lightweight packing material when I ship someone something.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Theres nothing better than plastic trash bags stuck on all the fences every where you go....I cant say I ever saw paper bags stuck on the fences.

Posts: 449 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
I'd prefer a good paper bag over the typical plastic bag that falls apart with a loaf of bread in it. They once were mighty, but now they're as thin as tissue paper and barely useful as small trash can liners.

Paper bags are much more useful to me as weed barriers in the garden, in the compost bin, keeping young plants from getting frostbite or in my charcoal chimney to help get my grill going.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
^^^^. Hey. I actually like that. I used the speed of the bag flapping on the fence as a wind gauge while driving down the highway.

That and like someone else noted, we use the plastic bags to clean the litter box on a daily basis..

If you want to bring you own plastic bags to the store, Sam’s Club has a box of t shirt bags for sale. 1,000 bags for $22 at last check.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5751 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 27952 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
I loved the old paper bags. They were the best for picking up dog poop.

Said no dog owner ever on a rainy day Razz Big Grin

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
My wife has been using the reusable bags for years. Most stores around here use plastic bags, but some will use paper bags if you request them. I've noticed at our local Giant super market that the pickers who pick the on-line grocery orders, are all loading groceries into the large paper bags.

Of course, this is the store that took four handicapped spaces right up in front of the store & turned them into two electric car charging stations. One space for each charger, and one space for each EV.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
It’s a supply issue with my supermarket. They use the plastic but every so often they are running out and using the paper. I hate no handles but I do use the paper to start my charcoal chimney and smoker.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12436 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
I loved the old paper bags. They were the best for picking up dog poop.

Said no dog owner ever on a rainy day Razz Big Grin

Plastic bags are much better for that.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I prefer paper bags with handles as long as they are not super cheap ones. I will use plastic to put meat and chicken in that might leak.

I know the members here are not the ones leaving them everywhere but I see them outside too much. I've seen people put a dozen of them out for the trash just laying there and blowing around. These things never deteriorate.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16398 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
Plastic bags kill wildlife by the thousands every year. Just because a product on the shelf in the grocery store is plastic wrapped doesn't negate the harm done. The correct answer is to reduce the use of plastics when feasible. Many plastics leach chemicals into food (even more so if heated), so it is a personal health issue too.

I prefer a paper bag to line my recycling can.

For grocery shopping I really like the semi-rigid reusable bins.

Everything is a compromise, nothing is perfect.

Posts: 9445 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
They imposed a bag tax here "to cut down on pollution".

I like the self-checkout at Harris Teeter. They ask you "How many bags do you wish to purchase." I don't wish to purchase any bags so I hit 0. Most stores ask how many bags you used or something like that. I wonder if Harris Teeter did this on purpose as a protest against the bag tax.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16398 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
They imposed a bag tax here "to cut down on pollution".

I like the self-checkout at Harris Teeter. They ask you "How many bags do you wish to purchase." I don't wish to purchase any bags so I hit 0. Most stores ask how many bags you used or something like that. I wonder if Harris Teeter did this on purpose as a protest against the bag tax.

One family owned local chain here donates $0.03 to the library for each reusable bag you use when checking out.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Duro bag, owned by Novolex is here big time. Maybe Cincinnati too. They manufacture paper and plastic bags. I got to try the large grocery bag work on 12 hour shifts. One machine produces 250,000 grocery sacks in one shift. 40 pound 500 piece bundles. Some times the glued seam pops open 12 feet in the air and you get bags all over the place. They make and print the large shopping bags for fancy stores and, loads of fast food bags for several brand name fast food joints. If ever a store asks you Paper or plastic? Tell them you are bisactual.. Big Grin

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
You can't make book covers out of plastic bags. Smile

Do school kids today still cover their books?
Do school kids today even have books?
(do school kids today even know what a book is?)

Save the trees, stop using paper bags!
Save the planet, stop using plastic bags!

So the question is, which is next? Switching back to paper again to save the trees? Or a total ban on bags?

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chillin out
Picture of florida boy
posted Hide Post
We keep our homemade bread in brown paper bags which then go inside a plastic grocery bag and the paper bags come in handy for starting our wood fires. We make good use of both types.

I practice Shinrin-yoku
It's better to wear out than rust out
Member NRA
Member Georgia Carry

Posts: 3813 | Location: Union County, Georgia | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Yes, City of Anchorage decided to save the environment and show how progressive they are with their plastic bag ban. Retailers can use paper bags but are required to charge 10 cents a piece for them. Maximum 50 cents charge per purchased not charged to those on government assistance. It applies to all retailers, not just grocery stores. The one exception is plastic bags may be used for bottles of wine. Why? The mayor at the time was part owner of a restaurant that sold wine.

I hate it, it's a pain in the ass. Out running around and a spontaneous decision that I need something from the store, I'm paying the bag tax. Going on a roadtrip and decide to get snacks and drinks after gassing up, pay the bag tax. So yeah, you want that little bag to carry your stuff and then act as a trash bag in the truck, pay the bag tax to save the environment and contain your own trash. I've got re-usable grocery bags that I use when I plan a grocery run. They're heavy duty with handles and work great, but don't do me a lot of god when I don't have them.

Then there was Covid. The bag ban got suspended by the newly elected mayor citing them as a means to carry the virus. After a few months the city council overturned it and it's back.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post