SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Brown Paper Grocery Bags Everywhere Once Again!
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brown Paper Grocery Bags Everywhere Once Again! Login/Join 
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
Harris Teeter does paper- we use them when we go to OC Md. they’ve been doing paper for quite a while now.

Our HT does either, whatever we like. Some people around here bring their own bags.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6316 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:
Originally posted by bubbaturbo:
My wife has about 6-7 cloth bags in the back of her car that she takes in when she shops. They are pretty heavy duty. Doesn't seem very difficult and we don't have so many bags to get rid of.

8 states now require you to either bring your own bag or pay for one.

https://www.eatthis.com/news-s...anning-plastic-bags/

Maine
Connecticut
New York
Deleware
Oregon
Vermont
Hawaii
California

Bonus points for figuring out what all 8 states have in common.

You can add Washington to the list as well. As far as the commonality question, the answer is these states are run by commie democrats.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Our city banned single use plastics bags and stores charge 10 cents if you need a paper bag at checkout. Most store have normal sized paper bags but WalMart uses very shallow paper bags. with a handle that suck. Still lots of items wrapped in single use plastic but we dont see has many plastic bags stuck on yuccas flapping in the wind. We call that the state flag.

Posts: 5694 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by k5blazer:
WalMart uses very shallow paper bags. with a handle that suck. S

They're called T-Shirt bags. They do suck. If you, or the cashier, does not tie them shut, by the time you get home the contents are scattered rolling around in the car. And they split way too easily.

I must be in the minority. I don't have much use for plastic bags. I have *some* use for them, but most get wadded up and go into the recycle bin.

They're unsightly, they get stuck in shrubs trees fences etc. They are not biodegradable. They seem to all be made from petroleum. They are not friendly to wildlife. What a waste.

I prefer the paper bags. I reuse them for multiple things, most of all because I have to clean 4 litter boxes, the paper bag will stand up open while I drop the litter box results in. They are definitely biodegradable.

Some of my nearby grocers have dropped the paper bags, when I ask I'm told "the plastic is more environmentally friendly". Bullpuckey! It's merely an economic decision to supply the cheapest possible bag.

We have not yet got to the point where we must bring our own bags. Yet. Sprouts and Aldi's have gotten rid of or are getting rid of store supplied bags. Either buy a reusable bag at the cashier or bring your own. I've got a bunch of reusable bags lying around here, I need to remember to put them in the trunk.

Posts: 11840 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
They imposed a bag tax here "to cut down on pollution". Hey assholes, I'm not throwing my trash in the ocean. They aren't single use for me, I use them for cat litter, or any other number of uses until they tear. I've never thrown a single one in the street and charging me a nickel for a bag won't stop pollution or bad people from littering. Most of the litter around me is soda/beer bottles, masks, and food wrappers. Tax people who litter instead, or those who dump waste in the ocean. Taxing me does not solve a thing.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ayatollah of Rock 'n' Rollah
Picture of Replacement Tommel
posted Hide Post
The cops and the winos appreciate it.

-Tom

"For the cause that lacks assistance/The wrong that needs resistance/For the Future in the distance/And the Good that I can do" - George Linnaeus Banks, "What I Live for"

Posts: 10567 | Location: Boyertown, PA USA | Registered: July 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You guys need to stop talking about banning plastic bags. Michigan already has the stupid can recycling law and once Queen Whitmer the 1st hears that plastic bags can be banned, we will lose our bag options for sure!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16087 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I haven't thought about this for a while but I will ordinarily default to paper, if given a choice. We have insulated bags for Aldi permanently stationed in the trunk. Everywhere else uses plastic.
I even installed these useful little spring loaded hooks in the rear deck that hold onto plastic bag handles and keep them from redistributing the contents all over the trunk on the way home. They have a little loop to grab and spring forward out of the way when not in use.

I guess I am more assimilated than I thought. Roll Eyes

Posts: 7254 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I don't care for paper bags, much prefer plastic. I put all kinds of stuff in them.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5039 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer paper for groceries. They hold more than the plastic bags so fewer trips from the car to the kitchen, plus they hold themselves open so it’s easier to dump fireplace ashes in with less mess. OTOH, the plastic bags are much handier for picking up the dog’s poop on walks so we try to get a mix (not usually on the same trip to the grocery store).

Posts: 1179 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I loved the old paper bags. They were the best for picking up dog poop.

Posts: 7525 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
V45magna:
Where did you get those hooks? I would like a couple!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16087 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
I was the best at covering my school books with the brown paper bags.

Year V

Posts: 2631 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
V45magna:
Where did you get those hooks? I would like a couple!

Uhhh, ECS Tuning?? Wink

https://www.ecstuning.com/Sear...ch/grocery_bag_hook/

All are VW/Audi or BMW Genuine Parts though, so basically $24-$48 each!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8879 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

I greatly prefer plastic grocery bags. You can carry a surprising amount of stuff in one hand by putting it through the "handles." They have other uses as well, one main one around here (I call them "Carter County flags") being rolled up in windows of cars broken down on the side of the road as a sort of distress signal. The ones that I don't "repurpose," I take to the grocery stores or Walmart for recycling.

Posts: 27949 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve seen wimpy paper bags that would rip with two packages of hamburger buns. Plastic bags that were so thin they would have holes in the bottom before use.
On the other hand, show me a heavy duty well built plastic or paper bag, and it will get reused many times!

Which is better for the planet?

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1128 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hate plastic, in all it's forms. As a sailor I have seen the plastic islands and beaches. It would be much better used as a fuel. Micro plastics are in our food chain, can not be good. And as many have pointed out much of it is in packaging. I would like to go back to when milk was delivered in bottles, and you returned them to be refilled. Paper is a renewable resource, and it works well for me. I would like a world where you showed up at the market with your own reusable container and bought your food in bulk. My family fills up a twenty gallon trash bag weekly with waste, it's not sustainable as the population grows. And unlike Bill Gates, I believe that we are here to populate the world, and we can not control the growth.

Posts: 437 | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:

I never saw the irony of that until now.

The paper bag must be an east coast thing, I haven't seen it in the west. What I do remember, at the start of Covid, they were giving the plastic bags for free instead of letting people bring their reusable bags.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19658 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
I don't care for paper bags, much prefer plastic.

Same here. Our grocery store, run by one of the pinko commie families in town, went to all paper a couple of years ago and I hate them. I've had them tear, spilling my groceries all over the parking lot on several occasions. About the only thing the paper ones are good for is starting fires.

I love that most everything you buy comes in plastic containers and the fresh veggies have plastic bags they go in, but it all has to go in a paper bag because climate change. Roll Eyes Mad

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Kenya in Africa won't even allow entering the country with a plastic bag.

flashguyy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post