SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Texas members, do you have any "Texas-isms" I could share?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Texas members, do you have any "Texas-isms" I could share? Login/Join 
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigWhup:
And Muleshoe, TX is pronounced Mule Shoe, not Mulis Ho, like a non native I know. Good Grief!

The Millis Hoes are in LA...

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Power is nothing
without control
posted Hide Post
I had never heard the term cattywampus before I moved to Texas (no idea how it is spelled. Never tried to write it before now!) it means all messed up or mixed up. Sort of like higgeldy-piggeldy, if you have ever heard that term.

Oh, and if they start talking about seceding and going back to being their own country, just smile politely and don’t get involved. While most Texans I met weren’t looking to go back to being their own country, they were all very adamant that it was an option that is always on the table, should the rest of the country piss them off too much!

- Bret

Posts: 2466 | Location: OH | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sadlerbw:
I had never heard the term cattywampus before I moved to Texas (no idea how it is spelled. Never tried to write it before now!) it means all messed up or mixed up. Sort of like higgeldy-piggeldy, if you have ever heard that term.

Oh, and if they start talking about seceding and going back to being their own country, just smile politely and don’t get involved. While most Texans I met weren’t looking to go back to being their own country, they were all very adamant that it was an option that is always on the table, should the rest of the country piss them off too much!

- Bret

This is secession thing comes from the Texas state constitution. It is the only state in the United States of America which reserve the right to legally succeed from the union.

Yes, we are proud of it. Independence is a Texan Value.

And I love that word Caddywompus… My grandfather used it all the time. Smile

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I’ve always heard it pronounced like it was spelled “catty-whompus,” but the actual spelling is catawampus.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Whew - glad it’s actually a word Big Grin

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A long time ago in Texas, about 1954 or so, I heard someone say that they were going to do something "even if it harelipped every cow in Texas".

Posts: 519 | Location: Ocala, FL | Registered: October 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
When I live there, my favorite bumper sticker was , "Love NY? Take I-30 East."

Posts: 3540 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Purple head on a blue viener

to quote Mr. Dan Jenkins Texas legend

Whoever said you can't buy happiness forgot little puppies.

Gene Hill

Posts: 626 | Registered: July 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Regardless of what the Texas STATE Constitution says , they cannot legally secede from the Union .

Posts: 4058 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
catawampus or cattywampus, however you want to spell it, is just a step below FUBAR.

Posts: 11847 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
catawampus or cattywampus, however you want to spell it, is just a step below FUBAR.

Ha ha ha … good one Gene!

~Robert A. Heinlein

Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
Regardless of what the Texas STATE Constitution says , they cannot legally secede from the Union .
It apparently IS allowed to split into 5 states, though--without the normal process.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
It apparently IS allowed to split into 5 states, though--without the normal process.

flashguy
Yeah , that probably wouldn't fly today either but it makes for good conversation. A lot has changed since 1845 .

Posts: 4058 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Power is nothing
without control
posted Hide Post
My wife is from Houston, so she helped me understand just how seriously Texans take their ability to secede. Oh sure, they all know the rest of the country wouldn’t just shrug its shoulders and say, “Oh well, that was the agreement when they joined.”, but being Texans, they don’t much care what folks from other states think about it!

- Bret

Posts: 2466 | Location: OH | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
And I love that word Caddywompus… My grandfather used it all the time. Smile

Same, and same.

quote:
...being Texans, they don’t much care what folks from other states think about it!

Correct.

Posts: 17134 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
My wife is from Houston, so she helped me understand just how seriously Texans take their ability to secede. Oh sure, they all know the rest of the country wouldn’t just shrug its shoulders and say, “Oh well, that was the agreement when they joined.”, but being Texans, they don’t much care what folks from other states think about it!

- Bret
And Texas is one of the few states that could probably manage to stand alone (with trade with other countries).

flashguy

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

- Bret
And Texas is one of the few states that could probably manage to stand alone (with trade with other countries).

flashguy
Could Texas " stand alone " with zero Federal dollars ? Education , highway money , health care , Social Security , NOTHING ? Not hardly . Oh , don't forget , no more military bases or Border Patrol ,Air Traffic Controllers etc. And there's that whole citizenship issue that would confuse the hell out of things . Like I said , good topic for discussion but not a snowball's chance in hell of ever happening .

Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^ That reminds me of a book I read a couple of years ago ^^^^^^

I highly recommend you read Stephen Coonts book of fiction "Liberty's Last Stand".

I don't want to give away the plot but SHTF and then Texas and a couple of neighboring states secede, things happen, it's a good book.

I just went online to my Library system and requested the book again.

LINK

Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

- Bret

flashguy
Could Texas " stand alone " with zero Federal dollars ? Education , highway money , health care , Social Security , NOTHING ? Not hardly . Oh , don't forget , no more military bases or Border Patrol ,Air Traffic Controllers etc. And there's that whole citizenship issue that would confuse the hell out of things . Like I said , good topic for discussion but not a snowball's chance in hell of ever happening .
Well, Texans wouldn't be sending any tax dollars to the feds, either, so that money would be available for use here. What good is the Border Patrol if they're not allowed to do their job? Texas is already putting forth its own border enforcement (and building the wall that Biden stopped). Some of those others would be an issue, but it's not as if they could not be addressed by the new country. Don't forget that Texas has oil and natural gas to sell, also, and the remaining US would be willing to buy it. It has its own separate electrical system.

Not saying it would be easy, but it is possible.

flashguy

Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
^^^^ Don't over look the Ports along the Gulf Of Mexico, such as Corpus, Galveston, etc. Access and Shipping to the world.

That IS a HUGE and vital asset. HUGE.