SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Texas members, do you have any "Texas-isms" I could share?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Texas members, do you have any "Texas-isms" I could share? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
When I moved to Texas 50 year ago, I was told to become a Texan:

I should buy a $2000 pickup. Hang an unloaded Winchester thuty-thuty in

the rear winder. Put two bales of hay, two fence

posts, and some bobbed war in the pickup bed.

Buy a $500 pair of boots, a $250 belt buckle, a

$125 saddle and a $50 horse. Then I could call

myself a TEXAN!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: George43,

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I relocated to Texas 42 years ago after 20 years in the Air Force and was not given any of that advice. I was just told to be a good citizen, not make waves for a while, and for Heaven's Sake don't say anything about how things were done anywhere else! I joined a local church and a local gun range and just let things develop. I've been very happy here and love my adopted state and city.

Texans are, by and large, not judgmental about a person's origins as long as they behave properly. They even have accepted me, who does not like football. Wink

(I confess that in my early years in Texas I did get on a horse--twice--and I have a couple of "cowboy" hats, but seldom wear one. I also bought and drove a couple of pickup trucks, mostly for the delicious exhaust sounds of the 460 engines. Sadly, I don't have either of those any more. I also rode a Harley Davidson Sportster motorcycle for several years until sidelined by a bad accident in 1989.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
Originally posted by PKFan:
My favorite is the west TX town of Ysleta. Should be E-'slay-tuh. They pronounce it Why-suh-'lee-tuh.

"They" who? The locals don't. We pronounced it "eh-slettuh."

An old roommate of mine from El Paso had told me that. I hadn't had any reason not to take him at his word. I wonder what else from him I should question...

Posts: 704 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I had a female friend who was sort of wild, who’d use “I’ll be dipped in shit and fried on a stick” to express mild astonishment. She’s an attorney now.

And on the topic of pronunciation of town names:

Boerne= “Bernie”
Leakey= “Lake-ee”

Posts: 26910 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
I had a female friend who was sort of wild, who’d use “I’ll be dipped in shit and fried on a stick” to express mild astonishment. She’s an attorney now.

And on the topic of pronunciation of town names:

Boerne= “Bernie”
Leakey= “Lake-ee”
Palestine = Palesteen.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Houston = Youston.

Razz

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
Town of "Humble"= Umble.

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Y’all’d’ve

This is a triple contraction of “You all would have.”

“We could’ve met y’all there if y’all’d’ve just waited.”

I joked about Texas, but I have friends there. When we lived in SE Colorado, we used to shop in Amarillo frequently; it’s one of my favorite towns—great people there who always treated us like family.

Posts: 13264 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
“Ya’ll”…..not “You all.”

When referring to some type of soda, it is not “pop”.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:

I don’t think I’ve heard that whole thing, but I heard “well, I’ll be dipped in shit” quite a bit in various rural parts of Texas.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
Houston = Youston.

Razz

The weirdos on that one are the New Yorkers.

Houston Street in Manhattan is “How-ston.”

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Refugio = Ree fure ee oh
Mexia = Muh hay uh

Posts: 238 | Registered: March 11, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyAgShooter:
Refugio = Ree fure ee oh
Mexia = Muh hay uh

Bexar = Bear

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
San Antonio is not, and never will be, pronounced "San Antone" unless you are a liberal idiot from Austin.

Those same liberal idiots from Austin pronounce Guadalupe “Gwad-uh-LOOP.”

Posts: 1069 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^
Tell that to George Strait (San Antone part), who is 100% pure Texan. Razz Razz

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
"Chili don't have no beans in it"

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
It's pa cahn, not Pee can.

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
"Chili don't have no beans in it"
Not just in TX, that's a universal truth!

Posts: 6477 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a bigger boat
Picture of CaptainMike
posted Hide Post
I worked in Offshore Oil and Gas out of Galveston after I got out of the Navy. First boat I reported aboard asks me:
"Where youuuuu frommm boyyyy?" You surrreee got a funny haircut, you must be from Florida or California"

Texas has very talented dogs. As in:
"My DAWWWWG can make a better pot of coffee thannat."
"Goddamn, who taught you to scramble eggs? My DAWWG can cook a better breakfast!"

They view distances differently, stopped to ask directions to a restaurant at a gas station, girl behind the counter says: "You just continue down the road aways." How far? "Well, you ain't gonna run out of gas or nothin"

In Texas canoes and small boats don't capsize, they 'tump'
"Oh man, that canoe done tumped right over"

MOO means NO! Be the comet!

Posts: 2769 | Location: The Tidewater. VCOA. | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post