SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Texas members, do you have any "Texas-isms" I could share?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Texas members, do you have any "Texas-isms" I could share? Login/Join 
posted
So I have an indirect supervisor that is retiring and moving to Texas from here in Minnesota. Just wondering if any of you have any sayings, nicknames etc that I could share with him so they can blend in a bit better once they move down there. Could be funny or not like a nickname for someone from Oklahoma that only a Texan would know. Anything related to coffee would be a huge plus.

Thanks in advance!

PS he is also conservative so he will not be helping turn Texas purple in case you were wondering

Posts: 339 | Location: Twin Cities MN | Registered: April 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
Since he's a conservative he's welcome but before I read that I was going to post "Don't Minnesota my Texas"

Posts: 18035 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Keep these on hand

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16704 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
If someone says something you agree with, a correct reply is "I tell you what!"

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post

Posts: 22910 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Well, there's this classic Texas joke someone sent me in an email when we moved there in 2011. A year, BTW, when DFW broke record for most days over 100, and would have also broken most consecutive as well if not for a 30 minute shower that dropped it from 99 to 95 one afternoon.

That number for total days was 71, BTW. Eek

Linky

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12418 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:
If someone says something you agree with, a correct reply is "I tell you what!"

~or~

"I heard that!"

~or~

"That's a fact Jack!" (Pretty universal, not necessarily just in Texas).

~or~

"The worst day of fishing is better than the best day at work." Ended with "doncha know".

~or~

East Texas saying, "Sometimes the egg ain't worth the wear and tear on a hen's ass." (Doncha know...)

Don't ever call anyone a liar, that's fightin' words but it is acceptable to call BULLSHIT on a tall tale.

AND beans have no place in Texas Chili.

Posts: 3202 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
I'm about to go to lunch

I'm fixin to go to lunch

Posts: 1059 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Yes sir, No sir, Yes mam, No mam, thank you, please, can I hep you with that, pardon me, ladies first, most still in use...

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Yes sir, No sir, Yes mam, No mam, thank you, please, can I hep you with that, pardon me, ladies first, most still in use...

+1

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I suppose it would be frowned upon to say the best place to be in Texas, is in the middle, right under the “X,” then anyway you go you’re going out Wink

A thread of Texas-isms, who’d a thunk

Posts: 13263 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
If he feels the urge to start a sentence with, “Back in Minnesota we did it this way…….”, don’t.

We had some recent transplant hop on our community Facebook page recently to “make suggestions” about how we could “improve” the community based on how “we did things back where we came from”.

About 90% of the responses were offers to help her pack her shit Big Grin

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
You can always tell a Texan.

But you can't tell him much.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You stop to get a Coke. Not a soda. Not a pop. Coke. Coke encompasses all varieties of soft drinks, no matter what kind.

Posts: 401 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: February 27, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not from Texas myself, but a favorite I have heard is to describe someone as "All hat, no cattle"

Has good application outside Texas too...

Posts: 550 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16704 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
According to a LEO friend of mine if a Texas cop tells you to "un ass the vehicle." That means get out of the car.

Posts: 7527 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
It's so flat around Lubbock Texas that you can watch your dog running away from home for two days.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Texas Bob C.:
It's so flat around Lubbock Texas that you can watch your dog running away from home for two days.

And......It's so flat in Lubbock, that if you stare in one direction hard enough, you can see the back of your head.

Posts: 265 | Location: Weatherford, TX | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5323 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post