SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    January 15 Is National Bagel Day
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

January 15 Is National Bagel Day Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
I had an English muffin today.

quote:
Originally posted by MRMATT:
Just ate a plain toasted bagel dripping with butter - the way I like them best.

Youse guys ought to try toasted crumpets dripping with Kerrygold Pure Irish butter.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...930096505#4930096505

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9002 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are very few places I go to get bagels in my area. I think some bakers make what they think a bagel should look/taste like and have no clue of what they actually are and wind up with some kind of roll. I enjoy a good bagel and cream cheese or a bagel sandwich.

Posts: 6904 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mark it on your Calendar.

March 1st.

National Kolache Day

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54697 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Better late than never:

I was at Sam’s Club this morning, so why not? I’m sure now though that what I had in our cruise was lox and not smoked salmon. No onions either, which is doubly bad because last night my wife asked me to pick up onions if I went to Sam’s Club this morning.

Posts: 11013 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

I’m sure now though that what I had in our cruise was lox and not smoked salmon. No onions either
German, lachs: salmon. Yiddish, Americanized to "lox," usually referring to smoked salmon, but "lox" could mean any salmon, smoked or not. Unless the context indicates otherwise, "lox" is usually taken to mean smoked salmon. Same thing. Best I ever had was Scottish smoked salmon on a British Airways flight from London to Barcelona. Even better than the excellent hand-sliced-to-order that is sold in every "appetizer" store in Brooklyn.

Onion? Definitely needs a slice! Some folks, my wife included (but not me), also like a slice of tomato. A sprinkling of capers is also a popular option.

My bagel choices for this, in order of preference: garlic, onion, plain.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30730 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I thought lox was cured in salt rather than smoked. What I had on the cruise was saltier, didn’t really have a smoke smell or taste, and had a smoother texture than what I bought at Sam’s Club today.

I would have done capers, but my three kids method of putting things in the fridge is to shove stuff in from the front. Nothing is ever in the same place twice, but I sure there’s capers in there somewhere.

Posts: 11013 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

I’m sure now though that what I had in our cruise was lox and not smoked salmon. No onions either
German, lachs:

My bagel choices for this, in order of preference: garlic, onion, plain.

Garlic? Just curious, did you ever find your garlic pickles? I’ve had a craving lately and can’t find the garlic pickles. Claussen used to make a really good one.

Posts: 11864 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:

did you ever find your garlic pickles? I’ve had a craving lately and can’t find the garlic pickles. Claussen used to make a really good one.
Nope. Looks like they have disappeared from the face of the earth without a trace.

Claussen was my first choice, Ba-Tampte is a decent second choice. Publix used to carry both, can't find either one any more.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30730 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Apparently Claussen pickle shortages have been a thing since 2020 with the cause attributed to the fact that the amount of glass recycling is down, causing a shortage on glass pickle jars that Claussen uses.

https://marketrealist.com/p/claussen-pickle-shortage/
https://b105country.com/clauss...rt-supply-heres-why/

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16255 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post