SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Crumpets?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Crumpets? Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
I recently saw a mention of crumpets in a novel. I was familiar with the term, but didn’t know what crumpets were.

On the web I found this:
“A crumpet is a small griddle bread made from an unsweetened batter of water or milk, flour, and yeast. It is a popular choice for breakfast or afternoon tea in the United Kingdom. They are also enjoyed in Canada, New Zealand, South Africa, and Australia.”
https://www.allrecipes.com/what-is-a-crumpet-7481326

English muffins are common in my stores, but I’ve never seen crumpets offered. I’d like to try them. They look different, with little holes in their surfaces.

What’s the forum opinion of crumpets?

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9099 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
They're similar to English muffins.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15498 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
They're similar to English muffins.
Similar, but different: Crumpets vs. English Muffins: What’s the Difference?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
When I lived briefly in Canada, I found them and they are very nice. Back in the States I noticed the groceries stores carried them, too, in the fridge section.

They're similar to english muffins in that they taste lousy unless you toast them. Otherwise, I find the taste and texture different from EM's. Plus, the structure, flat on the bottom, little holes on the top, all part of the experience.

The bad news is that the last time I picked up a jar of marmalade was craving crumpets, couldn't find them anywhere, not many options on the internet, either. But, there are recipes for them on YT and I'll be making them.

Meanwhile there's an English tea house about an hour's drive out in the county, hope they serve them.

Posts: 2842 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Food of the Gods.

They are nothing like English Muffins. (I never saw an English Muffin in the wild until I moved here).

I make my own as they are not widely available in the US.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Haydn's Crumpet Concerto in E-Flat Major is one of my favorites.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30835 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We make them to use up sourdough starter if we are not baking that week. Really tasty.

https://www.kingarthurbaking.c...ough-crumpets-recipe

Posts: 12802 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Local place sells them fresh every day.

https://thecrumpetshop.com/

Or, have them delivered.
https://www.amazon.com/Duffys-...1bbaa3&psc=1&ref&tag

Posts: 3254 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Haydn's Crumpet Concerto in E-Flat Major is one of my favorites.

Smile
Sounds as though it might be a piece by P.D.Q. Bach. AKA Peter Schickele.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9099 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FishOn:
Local place sells them fresh every day.

https://thecrumpetshop.com/

Or, have them delivered.
https://www.amazon.com/Duffys-...1bbaa3&psc=1&ref&tag

Thanks for the links!

Posts: 2842 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Having tried both, I much prefer strumpets.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17485 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
They are fantastic, and can absorb 3x or more of their weight in melted butter.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12813 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Made a batch with this recipe this morning. Dang! They're good.
And a whole lot quicker/easier to make than english muffins.

Posts: 20180 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
Crumpets are great! Check the refrigerated section - most stores around here usually have them. Trader Joe's also has them. Cool

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3936 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
Thanks for the Trader Joe's tip. None of my other grocery stores have them.

Serious about crackers

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Member Dzozer was correct – TJ’s does stock crumpets. Six per package in two groups of three that can be opened separately. Each crumpet is about 4” in diameter and 3/4” thick. So I had my first-ever crumpet a few days ago.

And I agree with Pyker – they’re not at all like English Muffins. In fact, they’re not like any other bread that I know of. Personally, I like crumpets better than English Muffins (both toasted).

Some folks like marmalade on them but I don’t have a sweet tooth, so just butter for me. I say “just butter”, but, in fact, it’s Kerrygold Pure Irish Butter, which is so much better than ordinary supermarket butter.

Serious about crackers

is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Kerrygold Pure Irish Butter, which is so much better than ordinary supermarket butter.

Indeed.

I'm shall avail myself of these so-called crumpets, post haste.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5492 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinnybass:
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Kerrygold Pure Irish Butter, which is so much better than ordinary supermarket butter.

Indeed.

I'm shall avail myself of these so-called crumpets, post haste.

Ya'll should try Trader Joe's Cultured Butter...while speedy, I find it much tastier than Kerrygold

Posts: 14752 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
^^^ Noted. Thank you.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5492 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
So – what is cultured butter, I wondered…

“Cultured butter is made from pasteurized cream that's been exposed to live bacterial cultures (much like the cultures used to make yogurt and cheese). The bacterial cultures jumpstart a fermentation process, which thickens the cream and gives it a tangier, more complex flavor.”

https://food52.com/blog/27938-...%20complex%20flavor.

I might try it, but the Kerrygold is known good.

Serious about crackers