SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    It looks like Florida could become the 26th state to approve Constitutional carry. ******* 4/03/2023 BIG update page 3 *******
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It looks like Florida could become the 26th state to approve Constitutional carry. ******* 4/03/2023 BIG update page 3 ******* Login/Join 
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Thank you.

Question: Disregarding possession of a CWP in one's state of residence and disregarding reciprocity, is an individual who is visiting or passing through a Constitution Carry state legally covered by that state's CC law? Or do the CC laws of a given state cover only persons who reside in that state?

Can, say, a New Yorker legally carry a concealed firearm in, say, Alabama? Assuming he gets out of town by sundown, of course. Razz

In AZ it's even better that that. Non-AZ residents are not expected to know the law here and so are exempt from it. If I carry concealed in a place that serves booze, I have to have a permit. But my dad from NJ does not. Every time he drives my car, he asks if I have any guns in the car. Sometimes I have to really think about it, but then I remind him that he does not need a permit at all if he's driving alone and one of my pistols is in the door pocket.

Posts: 3523 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sadly there were some ‘republicans’ in Tallahassee that were holding this up in previous sessions. And some were representing areas that are blood red. Not blue or purple-ish.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Florida is FULL of Rhinos. We have had positive gun legislation on the docket in Florida almost every session and the majority of the bills never even come up for a vote. I think the Senate president was a Republican in name only for years....

It would be interesting to see if they could every pass anything good.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gary Slider
posted Hide Post
Do be aware North Dakota is Permitless Carry for Residents only!! If you are not non-resident of ND you have to have a permit they issue or honor. ND does not honor all other states but a lot of them. All other states with permitless carry covers Residents and Non-residents of the states if they can legally possess a firearm by that states and federal law.
Louisiana has a very limited permitless carry law that is only for Active Military/Veterans.

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network.

Posts: 489 | Location: New Martinsville, WV | Registered: February 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Louisiana needs to get with the program, but they've always done things their own way.

Posts: 107507 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
Green states= Constitutional Carry and permit-less carry (not including FL)

I am reading that Nebraska's Constitutional Carry bill passed first reading today 3/3/23. Looks like Nebraska will finally finish the Constitutional Carry wall going N to S right down the middle of the country. Fingers crossed no shenanigans are played and that Nebraska will be the 26th state to more perfectly recognize the 2nd Amendment.
Come on LA, FL and SC, lets get them passed this year too!

Posts: 3498 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The bills in Florida are not constitutional carry bills. They are spending bills with permitless Concealed only.

This is just a scam.

HB 543 and SB 150

[url=https://www.myfloridahouse.gov/Sections
/Bills/billsdetail.aspx?BillId=77202]https://www.myfloridahouse.gov...il.aspx?BillId=77202[/url]

https://www.flsenate.gov/Sessi.../BillText/Filed/HTML

Posts: 726 | Location: Florida | Registered: October 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by still_bill:
The bills in Florida are not constitutional carry bills. They are spending bills with permitless Concealed only.

This is just a scam.

HB 543 and SB 150

[url=https://www.myfloridahouse.gov/Sections
/Bills/billsdetail.aspx?BillId=77202]https://www.myfloridahouse.gov...il.aspx?BillId=77202[/url]

https://www.flsenate.gov/Sessi.../BillText/Filed/HTML

Not a scam, it is a foot in the door.
Florida has been moving gun rights in the same direction for decades using small steps after small steps.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3849 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not a scam, it is a foot in the door.
Florida has been moving gun rights in the same direction for decades using small steps after small steps.

Non-Florida resident question here. With a Republican-controlled state senate, a Republican-controlled state house and a Republican governor, why have they only taken small steps after small steps?

Posts: 7308 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The legislators are most worried about MONEY.

Permits are a money machine in FL.

My estimate is $500 million for initial permit fees and an annual fee of at least 500K per year in renewals.

Based on the 2.61 million permits that are current.

You file for your renewal at the county tax collector's office

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig2392:
The legislators are most worried about MONEY.

Permits are a money machine in FL.

My estimate is $500 million for initial permit fees and an annual fee of at least 500K per year in renewals.

Based on the 2.61 million permits that are current.

The story regarding money in other states is usually from the instructors who worry that they won't be able to sell the statutory class anymore so people can purchase back a Right.

The truth is that in every state that passes permitless carry is that numbers drop off (really the rate of climb flattens) a bit for about 18 months until people recognize they want reciprocity and need a permit. And Florida sells a lot of out of state permits to non residents who either have been unable to obtain one from a restrictive state of residence or they want the wider reciprocity FL permits offer.

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FiveFiveSixFan:
Non-Florida resident question here. With a Republican-controlled state senate, a Republican-controlled state house and a Republican governor, why have they only taken small steps after small steps?

In Michigan we controlled the House Senate and Governor's Manision for years and years and years and yet couldn't even make baby steps at some points.

Jennifer (You'll Be Blown Away) Granholm signed every gun Bill we sent to her desk. Rick (I only ran as an R so I could possibly win) Snyder vetoed every improvement Bill that the legislature passed.

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig2392:

Referring to Florida, the original deal was in-person renewals were done at a Department of Agriculture office (the department that issues carry permits). In and out very quickly, no appointment needed for renewals. This is still an option, and the best choice if there is an Agricultural office near you.

More recently, county tax collector offices were added as an option. This is convenient for many people because there are relatively few Agriculture offices, compared to county tax collector offices -- there's at least one tax office, usually more, in every county.

There is an additional "convenience fee" or whatever they call it, if you do the renewal at a tax office.

If you renew at an Agriculture office you walk out with your new permit in hand. I'm usually in and out in ten or fifteen minutes.

Tax offices usually have a longer wait, there is an additional fee, and (I'm not positive about this point but I think I'm correct) you don't get the renewed permit right there, it is mailed to you. All of this makes the Agriculture office a better choice if there's one anywhere near you.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I looked at it like a money maker for FL, the non-res permits. Before WI allowed, I got the FL non-res permit. Since it gives me more options, I’ve kept it active. The State of FL has the requirements for the permit, if one screws up, they’re liable, nobody is coming after the state for issuing the permit.

Even WI makes a good bit of $$ selling permits.

Anti gunners grouse about ‘permit-less carry’, I’m betting the Officer approaching a car on a traffic stop treats things the same regardless of the carry law in that state. What I mean is, anything is possible, and it’s the criminals anyway who are the ones doing the crime, disregarding laws.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by still_bill:

This is just a scam.

HB 543 and SB 150

This would seem to be a 'distinction without a difference', or at least a meaningful one.

Maybe you could provide some details for those of us not familiar?

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8867 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Floridians gave up licenseless open carry to gain easier access to licensed concealed carry controlled by the state rather than the counties.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Happy to say SC is heading this way too.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38647 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Looks like we are one step closer.
https://www.foxnews.com/politi...ional-carry-majority

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing a thing or two
about a thing or two
Picture of hray
posted Hide Post
https://www.foxnews.com/politi...constitutional-carry

All he has to do is sign it now.

P226 NSWG
P220 W. German
P239 SAS gen2
P6 1980 W. German
P228 Nickel
P365XL
M400 SRP

Posts: 1139 | Location: South Miami Dade | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hray:
https://www.foxnews.com/politi...constitutional-carry

All he has to do is sign it now.

Thanks for the update.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post