SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Looking for Recommendations for my Wife who has Shingles Bad
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for Recommendations for my Wife who has Shingles Bad Login/Join 
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Well my wife’s pain returned to the way it was….ugh. We had the doctor appointment today and I got a good feeling about the doctor. He listened and was receptive to my questions and suggestions. He now gave her a time released Oxycodone along with 4mg diladud since I asked for it. They also do Ketamine infusions and he is willing to do it for her. He just said to let him know if we want to do it, and of course insurance doesn’t cover it so it is $450 per session. We are going to try the new pain meds first and then decide about Ketamine but at least he was open to anything. He diagnosed that she indeed has PHN, which is the lasting nerve pain after Shingles has finished. I just pray her pain doesn’t last too long.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
450 is a good price.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
Well my wife’s pain returned to the way it was….ugh. We had the doctor appointment today and I got a good feeling about the doctor. He listened and was receptive to my questions and suggestions. He now gave her a time released Oxycodone along with 4mg diladud since I asked for it. They also do Ketamine infusions and he is willing to do it for her. He just said to let him know if we want to do it, and of course insurance doesn’t cover it so it is $450 per session. We are going to try the new pain meds first and then decide about Ketamine but at least he was open to anything. He diagnosed that she indeed has PHN, which is the lasting nerve pain after Shingles has finished. I just pray her pain doesn’t last too long.

Praying for permanent relief and complete healing from the pain and shingles for your wife. We ask this in Jesus's name. AMEN !!! God Bless !!! Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3067 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VBVAGUY:
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:

Praying for permanent relief and complete healing from the pain and shingles for your wife. We ask this in Jesus's name. AMEN !!! God Bless !!! Smile

Thank you so much. We need all the prayers we can get.

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Great news that you have confidence in the doctor. Prayers sent as well.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
You are on the right course with the supplements. Here is some additional information:

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I swear I hate how insurance companies run things. The doctor prescribed a time release Oxycodone for my wife so she could hopefully sleep the night without waking up in pain.

The pharmacy said the insurance company denied it saying they need proof from the doctor of why the prescription is medically necessary. The doctor prescribed it so it is necessary! Today I called the doctor’s office and of course you have to leave a message. The doctor will have to call the insurance company to get them to cover it. Out of pocket would be $460. So now my wife is going without that prescription yesterday, today, and probably the whole weekend. At least she has the other pain medication he gave her.

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Squeaky wheel time… Call the pharmacy and have them call the doctor as well. Call the doctor again because this is important.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
time release Oxycodone

Due to the type of medication, some have rules and there may be state laws in force regarding how controlled substances may be filled.

Posts: 23381 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Squeaky wheel time… Call the pharmacy and have them call the doctor as well. Call the doctor again because this is important.

^^^^^^^^^
This may work before the weekend. Insurance game playing. Some offices have two full time people calling insurance companies to obtain authorizations for various expensive medicines. I would hope a diagnosis of PHN severe would be plenty. This is NOT about medical necessity it is all about MONEY!

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
If that doesn’t work take your wife to the ER and stick the insurance company with a big fucking bill.

~Robert A. Heinlein

Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
This is absolutely about money I am sure. They don’t want to pay for an expensive but necessary medication. If they were going through what my wife is, they wouldn’t deny it. I never heard back from the doctor’s office but it is a Friday and they close early but I called at 8:30am today.

If it doesn’t get filled tomorrow, I will go to the doctor’s office in person on Monday to speak to someone and not leave until I do instead of a stupid voicemail. Hopefully I can talk to the doctor to explain the problem.

Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
If that doesn’t work take your wife to the ER and stick the insurance company with a big fucking bill.

Haha…yup. Okay you denied the pills, well now you get a hospital bill!

Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Today my wife went and got acupuncture from a doctor highly recommended to her. He also mixed up a tea blend for her to drink 3 times a day. She actually has experienced pain relief from the acupuncture. She says she still feels pain but it is subdued and tolerable. We will see how long it lasts, but she has set up three sessions for next week to keep the relief going.

posted Hide Post
Good to hear. So many Americans are opposed to acupuncture. A neurologist friend of mine was trained in Chinese acupuncture and finds it helpful in his practice. Beats waiting on an insurance company.

posted Hide Post
My response to questions about acupuncture were: "Just because I don't understand it doesn't mean that it doesn't work". If something works for a person and doesn't have significant side effects, why in the world wouldn't a person utilize it?

Best wishes for your wife, mike

Posts: 1272 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello Norman! Was just thinking about your wife. How is she doing??

If this is too personal, just ignore me, I'll understand ...

Posts: 1272 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike28w:
Hello Norman! Was just thinking about your wife. How is she doing??

If this is too personal, just ignore me, I'll understand ...

She is still experiencing terrible pain. Over a week ago the doctor prescribed a slow release pain killer and we have been dealing with the insurance company since then as they denied it wanting to know why it was medically necessary. The doctor has been trying to work with them and we will see if the prescription finally gets filled next week. So stupid! I hate insurance.

The only thing that seems to work for her is acupuncture, but then the next day or two the pain returns to normal. We are paying $95 a pop for the acupuncture about three times a week. Of course her insurance won’t cover it so it is getting expensive, but better than her being in pain while we wait to see if insurance will allow the prescription the doctor prescribed. Tuesday of next week will be 7 weeks of misery for my wife. This is unreal and I hate to see her go through this.

Thanks so much for asking.

posted Hide Post
Last week I had a horrible tooth ache. Couldn't get a dentist appointment till 4 days later but at that point the infection went to the nerve in my jaw. I knew it wasn't good but at least I wasn't in pain anymore. This Tuesday I had to have a molar extracted and a bone graft.
That evening, started getting blisters on my upper eyelid and went to the ER.
Shingles in the eye! I've now got blisters from my nose to the back of my scalp and my eye is swollen shut.
The Dr prescribed valacyclovir along with steroid eye drops.
Shingles sucks!
Praying your wife gets some relief.

Posts: 2753 | Registered: March 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amc:
Last week I had a horrible tooth ache. Couldn't get a dentist appointment till 4 days later but at that point the infection went to the nerve in my jaw. I knew it wasn't good but at least I wasn't in pain anymore. This Tuesday I had to have a molar extracted and a bone graft.
That evening, started getting blisters on my upper eyelid and went to the ER.
Shingles in the eye! I've now got blisters from my nose to the back of my scalp and my eye is swollen shut.
The Dr prescribed valacyclovir along with steroid eye drops.
Shingles sucks!
Praying your wife gets some relief.

I am praying for a good recovery for you. Shingles that affects the eye can be very dangerous. I hope you have no long term complications!