SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Looking for Recommendations for my Wife who has Shingles Bad
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for Recommendations for my Wife who has Shingles Bad Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Ketamine is a good option. The psychiatrists operating these free standing clinics are in it for the buck. I would consider seeing an anesthesiologist. Ketamine is getting a lot of publicity recently and of course the shucksters are showing up. Most major cities have these clinics, with the abundance in California.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Agreed… Good suggestion forgot about Ketamine. Combat trauma is often treated with ketamine. Agreed go to an anesthesiologist/anesthetist.

I think it’s classified as a disassociative…?

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
I’m very sorry Norman. I wish I had other alternatives.

Perhaps other members can continue to make suggestions.

What did the doctor say at this point? What’s next?

I guess if it was me, I’d be a very squeaky wheel. Unfortunately it might look like Dr. shopping.

Be careful stacking homeopathic medicine/anything on top of opiates. I know you’re desperate, and your wife may feel like she wants to die… But you don’t want to kill her. You do seem to be pretty good at doing your research.

Each time I have gone to an appointment it has been for an injection so they don’t let me speak to the doctor. That is why I will go this Thursday to her appointment with him so I an ask questions and demand things. My wife is more of just going with what the doctor says and putting on a good face.

At the beginning she took pain pills every 4 hours and is now going as long as she can without taking them as she does not want to be taking them.

Depending on how I feel with this doctor, we may be looking for another but this clinic is the go to place in Austin despite there being a lot of pain clinics. This is where I went for my back pain but I had a different doctor. I just want my wife better.

I will take any advice to bring up on her appointment this Thursday. I am going to dig into what is actually in a nerve block. If they give an injection in the spine so women don’t feel pain from the delivery of a baby, then they should be able to stop this pain.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike28w:
Shingles pain really sucks .... as an anesthetist (retired), I used to get called when all of the other options had failed. Sometimes, but not always, folks would get relief with a low dose Ketamine infusion.
Ketamine is an old drug that is very safe when given by a professional. Over the years it has received a lot of negative attention. It is a very misunderstood drug. Most of the negative reviews are dose related. The higher the dose, the greater chance of negative effects. In years gone by, because the drug was so safe, practitioners gave doses that today would be called huge. The huge doses do indeed cause a bunch of side effects.
There are many Ketamine Clinics around the country. They are commonly giving it for severe, refractory depression. They start an IV and give a very small dose over ~30 min. It can be helpful for many depressed folks BUT it can also be helpful for folks who have nerve pain.
If this were my wife, I would look very hard for a Ketamine Clinic. Give them a call and see if they would be willing to treat her. Explain how she has tried so many other options. There are 2 types of health care folks who administer this drug, psychiatrists and anesthesiologists. Anesthesia folks are much more comfortable with it.
Well, there you have it. Just another opinion. I hope your wife finally starts to improve, it's a shame we don't have more to offer.
Mike

PS: Yes, some folks will call it a "horse tranquilizer". The veterinarians do use it on horses and cats and likely on other animals. They use it because it is so safe.

They offer Ketamine treatment at this facility so I will ask about it, thanks!

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Remember, be a squeaky wheel!!

Don't let her get lost in their routines. Not rude, just squeaky ...it's your right. They are working for you.

Best wishes, mike

Posts: 1272 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Remember, be a squeaky wheel!!

Don't let her get lost in their routines. Not rude, just squeaky ...it's your right. They are working for you.

Best wishes, mike

Yes sir. I am always respectful but also insist on answers and having input. I so appreciate responses so far as it adds to questions I will ask. This will be my first time meeting the doctor. My wife always puts on a good face and I don’t know if they know just how bad her pain is. She breaks down crying 2-3 times a day saying how she can’t take this any longer and doesn’t want to just take pain pills that only make a small dent.

posted Hide Post
I think the approach that I would take is to directly ask: " Is there any reason why we can't try Ketamine?"

The only drawback that comes to mind, is that it's likely that your insurance won't pay for it. (Insurance probably pays the doc for the injections that she's getting now ....)

I don't see any reason why she couldn't have both the injections as well as a trial ketamine infusion. It might take a little shopping to get the best prices for the infusion. I'm sorry to say that I've heard quotes of $500 -$700/infusion. But if she's suffering that much, it might be worth a try.

Best wishes for your wife. mike

PS: I really hate insurance companies ... Insurance companies practice medicine all the time by doing this type of thing, their only real concern is the bottom line. They are heartless people who pretend to care ....

Posts: 1272 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
^^^ Indeed. I Know a guy who ran an HMO who made it very clear that pregnancies were not the preferred option.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
They are heartless people who pretend to care ...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I have yet to see the pretend you care. They are worse than used car salesmen.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think the approach that I would take is to directly ask: " Is there any reason why we can't try Ketamine?"

The only drawback that comes to mind, is that it's likely that your insurance won't pay for it. (Insurance probably pays the doc for the injections that she's getting now ....)

I don't see any reason why she couldn't have both the injections as well as a trial ketamine infusion. It might take a little shopping to get the best prices for the infusion. I'm sorry to say that I've heard quotes of $500 -$700/infusion. But if she's suffering that much, it might be worth a try.

Best wishes for your wife. mike

PS: I really hate insurance companies ... Insurance companies practice medicine all the time by doing this type of thing, their only real concern is the bottom line. They are heartless people who pretend to care ....

My mom and I were just talking about this. It is sad that the insurance company is the one who dictates what gets done and why.

For my back I first had to get x-ray, do physical therapy, get MRI, take pain pills, then finally get spinal injections, and then surgery. It had to progress like that so insurance would cover things. They knew I needed injections at the least, but had to go through the list for it to be covered. Same for my wife.

Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
They are heartless people who pretend to care ...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I have yet to see the pretend you care. They are worse than used car salesmen.

All of healthcare seems to be ridiculous unless you get a good person, which there are many but sometimes hard to find.

After my spinal surgery I had to stay the night in the hospital and was told there was a full selection of drugs to keep me comfortable. I suffered in severe pain all night with the nurse only bringing me one Norco pill every 4 hours. When I asked for other options I was told there weren’t any. In the morning I explained everything to the new nurse and she said that was BS as I could receive almost any meds and quickly injected a med into my IV that stopped the pain. Had the night nurse done that, I would have slept instead of staring at the ceiling in pain.

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Father Battle,

Love it!

In the other thread, seems like you have a highly trained and excellent way of interpreting people and bullshit.

Would be interesting to know what you know. My senses are instinctual and not so honed.

However , you are well armed to go toe to toe with the doctor to understand what your wife needs.

It doesn’t seem like you’re shy. Don’t let Dr. Speak, Latin/biology and process confuse you. Clearly you’re a smart feller.

Make the doctor always break it down, in engrish and explain it so that you can understand why your wife is still in pain. And why are they not ameliorating said pain. What’s the plan for the next couple of steps? Etc.

Simple human stuff.

If it sounds like bullshit, immediately find a new Doc.

(My undergrad was molecular biology so I have an even footing on a lot of issues. Big words and complicated ideas generally don’t phase me. Actually kind of enjoy complexity.)

~Robert A. Heinlein

Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
Father Battle,

Love it!

In the other thread, seems like you have a highly trained and excellent way of interpreting people and bullshit.

Would be interesting to know what you know. My senses are instinctual and not so honed.

However , you are well armed to go toe to toe with the doctor to understand what your wife needs.

It doesn’t seem like you’re shy. Don’t let Dr. Speak, Latin/biology and process confuse you. Clearly you’re a smart feller.

Make the doctor always break it down, in engrish and explain it so that you can understand why your wife is still in pain. And why are they not ameliorating said pain. What’s the plan for the next couple of steps? Etc.

Simple human stuff.

(My undergrad was molecular biology so I have an even footing on a lot of issues. Big words and complicated ideas generally don’t phase me. Actually kind of enjoy complexity.)

Thanks as this is exactly what I plan to do tomorrow. This will be my first time meeting the doctor or being present for my wife’s visit with him.

There are MANY easy investigations I can just do over the phone because I have the evidence I need. Other times, I feel I must sit across from the person to get a good read on them to get the truth; whatever that may be.

My wife’s next appointments is one of those situations. I need to sit across from this doctor in person to get a read on him and see how he answers the questions I have and I have many after some great feedback here!

Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Your wife probably has low levels of vitamin D.
If you have a Lab Corp close by, you can get a test for $47.

https://www.lifeextension.com/...5-hydroxy-blood-test

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
70 percent of Americans are deficient in vitamin D. 10,000 IU daily is a good start. Also, If she is open to the idea of a 24-48 hour fast (think colonoscopy prep) and absolutely no sugar, it may provide some relief. I hope this ends soon for her.

Posts: 3508 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Hey guys, how about first things first?

She is in terrible, chronic excruciating pain.

If you suddenly lost a leg in an accident… Are you going to take vitamin D? Really?

Vitamin D won’t hurt, but it’s not gonna help w this. Coming from a guy that takes vitamin D every day.

~Robert A. Heinlein

Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Agreed. First things first. As in first principles. I don't understand the lost leg analogy though. This seems more like having a thorn in your shoe and a doctor giving something to block the pain. I am trying to help but with the understanding that our body is a miraculous self-healing machine. White coats barely understand this.

Posts: 3508 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Why don’t you simply start a new thread?

She has a diagnosed condition. Vitamin D does not prevent shingles/herpes afaik.

I’ve seen the studies on vitamin D and fish oil and overall health. I’ve seen the data and studied it thoroughly. It’s inappropriate here IMO.

~Robert A. Heinlein

Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I do have her taking Vitamin D, C, and Zinc since they are good for the immune system. This morning is the first day she said she is at a level 6 pain instead of 8 so I am hoping we might be turning a corner. Still have the appointment today with the doctor.

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
That is certainly welcome news. Good luck today Norman.

~Robert A. Heinlein