SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you read all the previous replies in a thread?
Page 1 2 3 4 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Do you read all the previous replies in a thread? Login/Join 
Picture of az4783054
posted
Do you read the replies from other members before you post your reply? I'm not talking about a huge thread like "You will buy a Glock" but short threads that are easily reviewed.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Report This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
I try to.

Some threads are like reading a novel. I can't say I read through all of those.

H&K-Guy

posted Hide Post
Yes, most of the time.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Report This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
If I reply pretty much the same as H&K-Guy, does that mean I don't?

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Report This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I do almost always.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Report This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Yes, Absolutely!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8787 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
With the exception of repetitive quotes, I do.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Report This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
In a long thread that I've not been religiously following, I tend to go back 2-3 pages so I don't repeat what's already been said...about ten times.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes I do, unless someone posted a thesis, which I will likely pass on.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
more often then not,
I have to go through a process.

check the thread title to see if I have any interest at all.

check the o.p. to see if any interest exists

ask myself if I know any thing at all that could be of interest,

see how many have already replied .

then I choose to add or not to the thread,

then go check the thread contents.

prior to adding

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Report This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
It depends on what your definition of "short" is.
And it depends on what the thread is about.
For example, in this thread, i didn't bother reading any of the previous answers.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19588 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
For example, in this thread, i didn't bother reading any of the previous answers.
Yeah, I can see how nine replies would bog you down for an afternoon. Shit, that's nearly half a page, man. You're only human.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
Yes, my rule is must read every post before posting. If the thread is so long I can't read every post, I assume that what I want to say has already been said.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2057 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Report This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
You need to make this a poll....

And yes.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Report This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Most of the time yes. If it’s a long thread, I’ll read the first two pages and the last two. Usually anything I would be saying has already been said.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Report This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Great Karma! Thanks!

Razz

Posts: 3572 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Most of the time

Posts: 648 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Report This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
Yeah, I can see how nine replies would bog you down for an afternoon. Shit, that's nearly half a page, man. You're only human.

In this specific case, the question posed in the OP was specific to me: Do I read all the previous replies in a thread. It's not like my reply is going to be influenced by previous replies.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19588 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Report This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Sometime yes, sometimes no. It depends on the subject, what replies I have read, and how many pages there are. You may not believe it, but there are threads I actually decide not to make a response to.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Report This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
Yep.

It's one of the reasons why my post count is as low as it is.

Generally, if it's already been said, I try not to repeat it (this thread excepted).

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3138 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Report This Post