SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you read all the previous replies in a thread?
Page 1 2 3 4 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Do you read all the previous replies in a thread? Login/Join 
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
yes, I have to shake my head when a post begins with "i didn't bother reading any of the previous posts in this thread but..."
What? Your contribution is just so vital but any others aren't worth reading? Right

Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Not always. Especially when I’m working. It’s come back to bite me a few times. Smile

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3969 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I try to. There are some long winded boring responses at times so I have been known to readers digest a thread though.

Posts: 7499 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Report This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
I only read replies with deeply nested quotes.
Almost a guarantee there will be some amusement.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
You need to make this a poll....
Voila!

Posts: 107610 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10706 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
In this specific case, the question posed in the OP was specific to me: Do I read all the previous replies in a thread. It's not like my reply is going to be influenced by previous replies.
But, what if something happened in those nine posts? How would you know if something happened and, if so, what?

For instance, here's a tip for you guys. If you don't want to read an entire thread or if it's impractical to read a thread due to its volume, just quickly scroll down the past page or two and look for my avatar. When you see my avatar, stop and read my post(s).

This is good advice, truly, it is. It sort of dovetails into the 'something might have happened' thing, y'see...

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick-SP2022:
I only read replies with deeply nested quotes.
Almost a guarantee there will be some amusement.
Especially if Sir David Attenborough is narrating the thread. You know- nests. Birds. Nature. Razz

"Here we see the mating dance of the Crested Forum Dweller of North America in all its majesty. Notice the to and fro, the back and forth, the intricacy as they twirl about each other..."

Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
If it's more than 3-4 pages, I'll usually read the first and then the last. Then depending on the thread I may read the middle.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: parabellum,

Posts: 3661 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Dang, Bob, I accidentally edited your post. DIDN'T CHANGE A THING, NOT A THING

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Kind of like if people only watched the President's rally for the first five minutes and the last five minutes. They missed a great story about West Point, a ramp and a glass of water.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Report This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
99% of the time. However, if something goes from nothing to dozens of pages overnight I'll probably read first two pages then last two pages and decide whether or not to read the rest.

Actually seen somebody recently confess to not reading the OP's entire post despite it being a whopping 4 sentences. Ordinary sentences, not some run-on wall of text. Roll Eyes

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23263 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Depends on the size of the thread.

If it is a huge thread that I haven't read yet, I'll skim it.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Report This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
Yes I do, unless someone posted a thesis, which I will likely pass on.
I do much the same. I will read the huge posts of some Members who intrigue me by their knowledge. I very much enjoy reading the Members here.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Report This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I really miss having a large flat panel display of a home computer to read by. Its a shy more difficult by phone. When I had a PC, I would start right at the beginning of a topic and play catch up. Many a nights long read.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Most of the time I will read all of the thread...or if it's 10 pages long, at least the last 3 pages.......once in a while I don't.

It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
99% of the time I do.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Report This Post
TANSTAAFL
posted Hide Post
I do. That’s part of why my post count is so low. By the time I get off work and read a post usually someone else has answered already, so there no point me saying it again.

Posts: 715 | Location: Baltimore til I can get out of there. | Registered: June 08, 2002Report This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Welcome from Derby City.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Report This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I always read all the posts. I will say if someone posts something that resembles a novel I may only skim it but other than that, it's yup.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Report This Post