SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ability to solve geometry and algebra problems = white privilege.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ability to solve geometry and algebra problems = white privilege. Login/Join 
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
This is just beyond stupid.

And yet many will believe it. Roll Eyes

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words
posted Hide Post
So basically, she is mad at the universe. That she describes math as being "developed" suggests that she doesn't grasp the fundamental truth that math IS a (if not THE as it pertains to the physical world) fundamental truth, waiting to be discovered perhaps, existing since the beginning of time.

Posts: 293 | Location: Northeast Oregon | Registered: March 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post

Then blackberry pie is racist.

I challenge her to show me a whiteberry pie.

I also challenge her to explain this Member of the Royal Society.

Courtesy of Srinivasa Ramanujan, Mathematician

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31986 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
Are we NUTS?

"A math education professor at the University of Illinois says the ability to solve geometry and algebra problems and teaching such subjects perpetuates so-called white privilege.

Rochelle Gutierrez laid out her views on the subject in an article for a newly published anthology for math educators titled, “Building Support for Scholarly Practices in Mathematics Methods.”
h“School mathematics curricula emphasizing terms like Pythagorean Theorem and pi perpetuate a perception that mathematics was largely developed by Greeks and other Europeans," she says, according to Campus Reform.

She also says that addressing equity in mathematics education will come when teachers can understand and negotiate the politics outside the classroom.

“On many levels, mathematics itself operates as whiteness. Who gets credit for doing and developing mathematics, who is capable in mathematics, and who is seen as part of the mathematical community is generally viewed as white,” she writes.

Further, she says mathematics operates with unearned privilege in society, “just like whiteness.”

Mathematics itself operates as Whiteness.
- Rochelle Gutierrez

Gutierrez did not respond to an email from Fox News Tuesday seeking comment.

University of Illinois interim Provost John Wilkin told Fox News that Gutierrez is an established and admired scholar who has been published in many peer-reviewed publications.

“As with all of our faculty at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Prof. Gutierrez has the rights of academic freedom necessary to pursue scholarship and research on important subjects and to reach conclusions even if some might disagree with those conclusions,” he said.

He added, “The issues around equity and access in education are real – with significant implications to our entire educational system. Exploring challenging pedagogical questions is exactly what faculty in a world-class college of education should be doing.”

In the book Gutierrez points out that mathematics operates as a proxy for intelligence, but asks, “are we really that smart just because we do mathematics?”

“As researchers, are we more deserving of large grants because we focus on mathematics education and not social studies or English?”

'WITNESSING WHITENESS' INFLUENCING LESSONS FOR CHILDREN AT ST. LOUIS SCHOOL

Gutierrez says evaluations of math skills can perpetuate discrimination against minorities, especially if they do worse than their white counterparts, Campus Reform reported.

“If one is not viewed as mathematical, there will always be a sense of inferiority that can be summoned” because the average person won't necessarily question the role of mathematics in society, she writes.

According to the website, Gutierrez adds that there are so many people who “have experienced microaggressions from participating in math classrooms… [where people are] judged by whether they can reason abstractly.”

NEW YORK PUBLIC COLLEGE OFFERING COURSE CALLED 'ABOLITION OF WHITENESS'

Her solution is a call for teachers to develop political "conocimeinto," or knowledge, to better prepare them in deciding on what learning opportunities work best for their students.

The book, published by Information Age Publishing, is a collaborative effort among more than 40 educators who teach mathematics methods courses for prospective pre-K‐12 teachers."

Link:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017...-professor-says.html

If teaching Math is perpetuating “white privilege”, then as a Math professor she is GUILTY of enabling her own enslavement, and the enslavement of all non-whites. So, is she going to start to burn Math books? Will she apologize for her actions? Will she pay herself her own reparations too?

The STUPID is strong in that one, indeed. Eek

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2795 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I absolutely hate algebra but was a math god when it came to geometry and physics. So, yeah, let me jump on that "white privilege" train and declare algebra a heinous subject.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18090 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are buildings in Central(Mayan)& South(Inca)America that display knowledge of math, geometry, trig, astronomy & calendars. Her ancestors are weeping.

Less is more.

Posts: 3995 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
Are we NUTS?

"A math education professor..."

Oh, so not a trained sociologist or anthropologist with data to back up her crazy...

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Maybe it would help if legislatures would pass laws making things easier, like rounding off pi to 3.0, as was proposed by Illinois some years ago.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Being good at math (and several other subjects, like English) would not be a "white advantage" condition if more Blacks would take the trouble to learn it, instead of calling those who do "Uncle Tom" and "not enough Black". It's not the subject that confers "White Privilege"--it's the stupid resistance of Blacks to learn it.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Wasn't Algebra developed by the Persians...IE not white people?

Posts: 34517 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bet she holds a liberal arts degree. It is sad and amazing at how many "teachers and professors" think like this and are able to teach in schools. I guess Ben Carson should be offended because he rose up from poverty,learned what is available "to all to learn" and made something of himself. She is an idiot that is tearing down education not increasing student minds.

Posts: 7054 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

Persian = Caucasian

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Jaime Escalante must be rolling in his grave.

Posts: 5748 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

Persian = Caucasian
Persians are among those originally designated as "Aryan" (not the Johnny-come-latelies that the NAZIs meant)--those that migrated to the Indian subcontinent. And contrary to popular belief, Iranians/Persians are not Arabs, and they REALLY don't like to be identified as such.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
I just watched the movie Hidden Figures...

I don't know what to say.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3633 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Read between the lines and what she is saying that non whites are too stupid to do math.

That's how I read it. Shameful.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8760 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dcowboyscr
posted Hide Post
I guess she didn’t watch the movie Hidden Figures LOL.

"Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose."

Posts: 3099 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, USA | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AZSigs:
quote:
Read between the lines and what she is saying that non whites are too stupid to do math.

That's how I read it. Shameful.

Exactly what she is saying.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7674 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Well, there must be a _____________ in my wood shed somewhere because I suck and higher mathematics.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20387 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Shit man, my math skills have atrophied to the point where if I'm subtracting numbers and the top number in the column is less than the bottom number, I don't know what to do. You're supposed to carry something from somewhere but damn if I know.

Forget algebra. Hell, I can't even balance a check book without a calculator.

Posts: 109017 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post