SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ability to solve geometry and algebra problems = white privilege.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ability to solve geometry and algebra problems = white privilege. Login/Join 
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I’m white.

I went to Purdue, I’m good at math.

I make a lot of money.

My kids are white.

I’m teaching them to be good at math.

What the fuck are you going to do about it?

These people don’t realize how far they are setting underprivileged people back. They are making excuses for them and telling them it’s not their fault. Meanwhile, people of means are educating their children, telling them to ignore this “priveledge” nonsense and get to work.

The world is competitive and it doesn’t take time outs. While you sissies are busy crying and making excuses, I’m training my kids to be little ass kickers. Eye on the prize.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
This is where the white privilege BS has gone. I'm sick of this crap!!

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017...white-privilege.html

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I’m white I got good grades. I work hard.....I suck at math. Does that make me racist, enlightened or just stupid. I lean towards the third.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7860 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
trolls will be trolls

http://www.famous-mathematicia...their-contributions/

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8239 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I have a degree in Mathematics

I'm white

if that's 'white privilege' then I'm all for it

fuck 'em

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53775 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Arithmacist!!!!! How do you think your math degree makes me feel. I have feelings!!!! Apparently not brains but feelings dammit and you sir are an arithmacist and I say good day sir. Wink

Posts: 7860 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Averaging 6.3
posts per year
posted Hide Post
Ummm...yeah.....Egyptians/pyramids. Somebody needs to take another history class.

Rick

Texting.......easier than calling.

Posts: 1379 | Location: P.C., FL - the emerald coast | Registered: September 15, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
The hell you say!!! Roll Eyes

There is a core problem with a segment of society and it has NOTHING to do with race, creed or religion. There is a segment that feels it is owed everything for nothing and they come in all sizes, shapes, races and creeds. The maths are hard and require effort which means they are oppressive.

What amazes me is that this shit doesn’t get destroyed in the media. I have black friends who make me look like a drooling idiot in most aspects. (And by Black I use it as a descriptor the same way I would say white friends. I only personally know one African American and he is white.)

Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11413 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Why do I think I'm reading Atlas Shrugged when I hear this crap?

Posts: 11285 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
ichi-go ichi-e
Picture of Underworld2086
posted Hide Post
arabic numerals are actually from India.

Posts: 696 | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeenoughffffffffffffffuhhh! Seriously, I've had quite enough of this load of garbage.

Posts: 45535 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Honestly, from my personal experience... most college opportunities offered to minorities is wasted.

Many are not prepared for an education at college/university level.

The kids I went to school with stated the system was "gamed" against them, and that, it was just a respite before they seeked employment or hustled on the street.

Some succeed, most are disillusioned by what they consider a "white man's education". Those that do succeed, prove to their peers, age wise, not intellect, that they are "Toms" and not "black enough".

It saddens me as I've had good friends, that I've considered brothers, have their futures dashed upon these rocks.

To be successful, they need to be prepared.
Many of the failing inner city schools pump the students out, to the students detriment and detriment of their future.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7185 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'll use the Red Key
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
That an adult even said this, shows the level of stupidity the party she represents is sinking to. It is hard to take any of the fringe nuts serious. And most thinking people, even a normal dem voter, will see this for foolishness it is. But keep it up, the more of these idiots that open their mouths the more exposed they are.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3819 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
She demonstrates the difference between being smart and being intelligent.

Year V

Posts: 2672 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Another liberal educated idiot. The only thing that surprised me is that she didn't claim that math education promotes the concept of "maleness" superiority in addition to "whiteness" superiority. Our education system is in a sorry state when such nonsense is applauded.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9431 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
Are we NUTS?

"A math education professor at the University of Illinois says the ability to solve geometry and algebra problems and teaching such subjects perpetuates so-called white privilege.

Rochelle Gutierrez laid out her views on the subject in an article for a newly published anthology for math educators titled, “Building Support for Scholarly Practices in Mathematics Methods.”

“School mathematics curricula emphasizing terms like Pythagorean Theorem and pi perpetuate a perception that mathematics was largely developed by Greeks and other Europeans," she says, according to Campus Reform.

About one of the most stupid things I've ever heard come out of an allegedly educated individual, bar none.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 774 | Location: FL | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Another liberal educated idiot. The only thing that surprised me is that she didn't claim that math education promotes the concept of "maleness" superiority in addition to "whiteness" superiority.....

Wait until next week for the male superiority claim. Roll Eyes

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post