SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ability to solve geometry and algebra problems = white privilege.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ability to solve geometry and algebra problems = white privilege. Login/Join 
Picture of mcrimm
posted
Are we NUTS?

"A math education professor at the University of Illinois says the ability to solve geometry and algebra problems and teaching such subjects perpetuates so-called white privilege.

Rochelle Gutierrez laid out her views on the subject in an article for a newly published anthology for math educators titled, “Building Support for Scholarly Practices in Mathematics Methods.”

“School mathematics curricula emphasizing terms like Pythagorean Theorem and pi perpetuate a perception that mathematics was largely developed by Greeks and other Europeans," she says, according to Campus Reform.

She also says that addressing equity in mathematics education will come when teachers can understand and negotiate the politics outside the classroom.

“On many levels, mathematics itself operates as whiteness. Who gets credit for doing and developing mathematics, who is capable in mathematics, and who is seen as part of the mathematical community is generally viewed as white,” she writes.

Further, she says mathematics operates with unearned privilege in society, “just like whiteness.”

Mathematics itself operates as Whiteness.
- Rochelle Gutierrez

Gutierrez did not respond to an email from Fox News Tuesday seeking comment.

University of Illinois interim Provost John Wilkin told Fox News that Gutierrez is an established and admired scholar who has been published in many peer-reviewed publications.

“As with all of our faculty at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Prof. Gutierrez has the rights of academic freedom necessary to pursue scholarship and research on important subjects and to reach conclusions even if some might disagree with those conclusions,” he said.

He added, “The issues around equity and access in education are real – with significant implications to our entire educational system. Exploring challenging pedagogical questions is exactly what faculty in a world-class college of education should be doing.”

In the book Gutierrez points out that mathematics operates as a proxy for intelligence, but asks, “are we really that smart just because we do mathematics?”

“As researchers, are we more deserving of large grants because we focus on mathematics education and not social studies or English?”

'WITNESSING WHITENESS' INFLUENCING LESSONS FOR CHILDREN AT ST. LOUIS SCHOOL

Gutierrez says evaluations of math skills can perpetuate discrimination against minorities, especially if they do worse than their white counterparts, Campus Reform reported.

“If one is not viewed as mathematical, there will always be a sense of inferiority that can be summoned” because the average person won't necessarily question the role of mathematics in society, she writes.

According to the website, Gutierrez adds that there are so many people who “have experienced microaggressions from participating in math classrooms… [where people are] judged by whether they can reason abstractly.”

NEW YORK PUBLIC COLLEGE OFFERING COURSE CALLED 'ABOLITION OF WHITENESS'

Her solution is a call for teachers to develop political "conocimeinto," or knowledge, to better prepare them in deciding on what learning opportunities work best for their students.

The book, published by Information Age Publishing, is a collaborative effort among more than 40 educators who teach mathematics methods courses for prospective pre-K‐12 teachers."

Link:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017...-professor-says.html

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4274 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
This is just beyond stupid.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30881 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flying Sergeant
posted Hide Post
And she's a professor.

Posts: 1673 | Location: Waukesha,WI | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Read between the lines and what she is saying that non whites are too stupid to do math. Something I find both disturbing and an insult to non whites. Somebody needs to have a long talk with this "professor" and make it quite clear that in today's world Racism is inexcusable in a college environment.

PS; yeah I am aware that she is Black. However that doesn't change the hidden message in what she has written.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5765 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
The hurt. Please make it stop.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13081 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pwelch001:
And she's a professor.

Profesora! tu pendejo. Wink

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
The hurt. Please make it stop.

I am way past the "hurt". I have resigned myself to the evidence that our so-called institutions of learning are simply "institutions" populated by uneducated morons who are too damned stupid to actually learn much of anything other than "the man" is responsible for all our troubles.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25656 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I was certainly taught that our numerals were Arabic numerals. It is obvious, but I was also taught that Arabic numerals are far superior to the Roman (white) system. (Try doing long division in Roman numerals.) I knew that Arabs were important early mathematicians.

I realized that the Greeks developed a lot of geometry, and Leibniz and Newton developed calculus. How can that be anything but the historical reality? It just IS.

Even if I were willing to concede that math is "white," what are you going to do about it? We have to teach basic arithmetic and a little algebra to everyone.

Nitwits.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53236 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You don’t fix faith,
River. It fixes you.

Picture of Yanert98
posted Hide Post
Well perhaps Mz Gutierrez should start a lecture tour in Asia.

Asian students clearly haven't got the message that math is a "White Thing" and they continue to flood the Math & Engineering programs of US colleges.

Hurry up and tell them now so they can drop out and spare themselves all the pain, embarrassments, and microaggressions!!

----------------------------------
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism.." - Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2673 | Location: Migrating with the Seasons | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
She probably has trouble with math, and common sense as well. Just riding the coattails of the BLM and associated movements.

-c1steve

Posts: 4118 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Modern shoes were developed in Europe by white people. Stop the oppression. Only white people should wear shoes.

God Bless and Protect Donald John Trump.

VOTE EARLY TO BEAT THE CHEAT!!!

Posts: 17541 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
if she wants to see failure, she should look in the mirror

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53777 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
'Gutierrez is an established and admired scholar who has been published in many peer-reviewed publications'

Ah, so this is how you get idiotic theories published. Have your fellow idiots give their approval.

Idiot power. I get it. Roll Eyes

What he did over just eight years, evidently, will echo in eternity.

Posts: 7388 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Left-Handed,
NOT Left-Winged!
posted Hide Post
Jaime Escalante pointed out the "0" as a number was a concept developed by native people of Latin America. At least he did in the movie "Stand and Deliver" which one of my high school teachers had us watch in the 80's.

Imagine that, a teacher taking kids from poor families who were screwups in school and taught them Calculus by setting expectations, requiring them to apply themselves, not letting them make excuses for not doing it.

I went to the University of Illinois and majored in Engineering. I stopped donating after the corrupt admissions scandal (admitted unqualified kids of politically connected parents), and now I'd like to get back the money I already gave.

The Chinese invented the abacus, so I suppose teaching how to use one might be relevant for the historical and cultural context.

Oh, and from a perspective of "race", arabs are "white".

This reminds me of the science classroom when my son was in 7th grade. There were posters of famous female scientists and famous black scientist. But Einstein, Planck, Heisenberg, Pasteur, Oppenheimer, Copernicus, Newton, and others were conspicuously absent...

Posts: 4916 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
So Asians, whether from the Indian subcontinent, SE Asia, China, Korea, Japan--all whiter than white, right? And BTW they really do face discrimination.

Posts: 18347 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Probably advises the Illinois retirement system too.

What else?

Posts: 1361 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
First thing to pop into my head

ETA: I see LeftySig and I thought of the same thing

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I'm white and was lousy at Algebra in HS. So where does that leave me?

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8372 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
I'm white and was lousy at Algebra in HS. So where does that leave me?

Better go sign up with ancestry.com to find out why Smile

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's time to tear that math down. I feel oppressed and distressed every time I try to balance my checkbook.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3629 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post