SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My new home generator finally shipped
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My new home generator finally shipped Login/Join 
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted
I ordered a new home generator back last February and it has finally been shipped.
Install late next week.
Guess I don't need one until I do but I will feel better knowing it's there.

My wife has some medical equipment that must run and though my Ecoflow Delta Pro battery pack is really nice, it can't come close to doing the whole house.

My guess is some members here have similar items, how well do they work?

https://www.generac.com/all-pr...series/27kw-rg027-qs

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31422 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
The average house uses about 2500 watts continuous so interested to find out why you purchased 27,000 watts worth??!!

A 13,000 watt is overkill for most houses.

That big unit is going to cost hundreds of dollars per day to run and better be natural gas as a propane tank to run it would be massive.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is your fuel source?

Posts: 1499 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is peace of mind. I understand living in hurricane country. I am sure it will work out well for you.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
Most of my friends down here in Louisiana have about 20-25k and run their whole house

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Natural gas. Not sure if zoning would allow propane, haven't looked into it.

We have 5K square feet with 2 separate HVACs upstairs and downstairs. Also 2 refrigerators and a heated garage. .
If the power goes out for the area, the extended family will come over so there would be at least 7 of us including the grandchildren.

I am told it will run the whole house.

I guess if the area goes dark, my house will be lit up like a Christmas tree, so I'll have to close all the blinds. Big Grin

Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by charlie12:
Most of my friends down here in Louisiana have about 20-25k and run their whole house

That's what the estimator said so I added a little extra.
I ordered the quietest model but expect it isn't all that quiet.

Bad fuel mileage huh?

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
We have two 22kWH Generacs running on natural gas. They work fantastic and don't cost anywhere near "hundreds of dollars a day" to run. It was two years ago, but the cost per kWH for fuel worked out to be between 13 and 15 cents depending on the load. Prices I'm sure are higher now.

With 5 people in a 1 bath 1,400sqft house, it's nice to be able to run the well pump, water heater, stove, dishwasher, and clothes dryer at the same time. Plus, we can really live it up and keep the AC and TV going without worrying about the sump pump not being able to run thus flooding the basement.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
I hope the wifi on it is secure or if not, I hope I can turn that part off.

Clowns you know.

I have an Ecoflow Pro and a Delta Max with extra battery but still, it is just not enough for extended time periods.

If the natural gas goes offline, I will be happy I have those along with Ecoflow's portable propane generator to recharge them.

I'm getting old, I gotta have my creature comforts.

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
The WiFi. Roll Eyes Yes, it will connect to your network via WiFi, but only if your network is connected to the internet and you've set up an account with Generac. The one generator is installed at our summer home. It doesn't even have a phone line let alone internet.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So many things affect the size requirements of a generator. Hopefully you added up the wattage of what you intend to run before you selected the size of the generator. We are on propane with a much smaller house, no medical equipment, propane water heater and stove, well pump and a basement we can retreat to avoiding the need to central AC. Everyone's needs and wants are different as well as what people can afford to spend. God bless us all. I looked up the propane consumption of your unit and it is not all that high so natural gas will be cheaper I'm sure. You will not be spending hundreds a day. They do provide excellent peace of mind!

Posts: 1499 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
You need to size a generator by the inrush (startup) amperage of the largest electric motor you plan to run plus the normal load of what you want to run in the house. Inrush is typically 10x the running load of the motor. When I lived in FL, I had a 17.5kw generator so I could start a zone AC unit while the other was running along with other loads in the house.

Posts: 1502 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
That big unit is going to cost hundreds of dollars per day to run and better be natural gas as a propane tank to run it would be massive.

We ran our Onan 20kW unit (i4 water cooled Ford Ranger engine), for 30 hours last week. It sipped propane, using about 5% of our 250 gallon tank. The power outage was caused by a microburst that snapped 17 wood power poles like matchsticks.

lbj, you will really appreciate that your unit runs at 1800rpm. Very quiet. For a transfer switch, we bought a 200amp unit and just wired it to the whole house panel. It is DPDT, so the power comes from either the utility or the genset. Impossible to backfeed. Since it will not power the entire house, I have a few high draw breakers marked to turn off when we are on genset power (dryer, range, air compressor, welder etc.).

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Good information in replies. Thanks.

We are using a Generac dealer for the sale and install.

Here is the link from Generac for sizing for home use.

https://www.generac.com/for-ho...build-your-generator

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It's settled, then- if the power goes out, we meet at lbj's house. Big Grin

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of robbiedog
posted Hide Post
LBJ,
We are putting in a generator at the house in East Texas. Neighbor has one, it's loud AF, so now we can compete with them. We lose power frequently in the Spring with thunderstorms and a few times with tornados that were close.....

Ours will be propane, the only thing we can use out there.

Posts: 136 | Location: East Texas | Registered: December 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Doin’ likewise here brother lbj …

Power outages are a real and regular occurrence around here; fall-winter.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
The average house uses about 2500 watts continuous so interested to find out why you purchased 27,000 watts worth??!!

A 13,000 watt is overkill for most houses.

If you want to power your house without restrictions then you need the power. The startup watts are what limits your abilities. Try to have your central AC turn on while your microwaving dinner and your 13k generator will be close to maxed out.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
It's settled, then- if the power goes out, we meet at lbj's house. Big Grin

I thought that’s what he meant by extended family. Big Grin

Posts: 4986 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kg5388
posted Hide Post
Thank goodness you went with liquid cooled. Last year after hurricane Ida there were air cooled generators of all brands dropping like flies. The issues were running 24 hours a day at 1800 or 3600 rpm in 99 degree temps. None of the owners ever shut them down to check and add oil. Make sure you have extra oil and filters on hand and during an outage check the oil every other day and change it every 250 hours or 2 weeks of continuous run.

Get the extended warranty as the evolution control has had some reliability issues that are getting better as they make changes. There have been some compression and oil leak issues as well.

Don’t think I am bashing Generac, All the brands have issues, Cummins have issues with cooling fans cracking and fuel valves sticking and Briggs and Stratton have issues just getting parts and service.

Posts: 1846 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post