SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My new home generator finally shipped
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My new home generator finally shipped Login/Join 
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
I didn't take any install photos.
Nice collapsible boom crane thingie.

This water cooled 27KW QS unit is big.
Sound isn't too bad but it isn't whisper quiet either.

I may have hearing loss but I am still very sensitive to bass sounds so I hear it in the house while my wife says she doesn't hear it.
One can carry on normal conversation with someone while standing next to the unit while it's running though.

I can't imagine how loud the air cooled units are. They run at 3000rpm while mine runs at 1800rpm on a full load.

Mine came with a 7 year warranty.
I think 5 years from Generac and 2 years from Collins Control, but I think I will add and get the extended warranty for 10 years total.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31425 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
I hope it's never needed but on the other hand it's there if needed.

Posts: 1956 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:
I can't imagine how loud the air cooled units are. They run at 3000rpm while mine runs at 1800rpm on a full load.

Small detail, the two-pole generator units typically on air cooled sets run at 3600 rpm in North America. This provides the 60 htz frequency. In areas that need 50 htz power, they operate at 3000 rpm, with 1500 rpm necessary for four-pole setups.

Yours will run at 1800 rpm regardless of load. You’ll want to ensure that it does, and adjust it as part of maintenance to keep your frequency precisely at 60 htz.

Back in the day, my grandfather used to run his generator fast for awhile to get his clocks to “catch up” to the correct time to account for the amount of time the power was out. He would run his generator at 3720 rpm (63 htz) and all his analog clocks would catch up and then he would change the generator back to 3600 rpm. Now days, you could never find a frequency regulated clock for sale. They’re mostly crystal. But I digress…

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8219 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Is it wrong to wish for a power outage to test my generator?

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31425 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:

No.

Time for me to go bang on the vendor again…

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:

Flip your main breaker and see what happens.

I’m serious. The wrong time to figure out how things work is during a power outage.

Also, buy some oil and oil filters now to have on hand when you need them. Look up the oil change interval in the manual and make sure you know how to check the oil level.

A neighbor and fellow church member couldn’t get the company she had a service contract with out to change her oil. They were too busy fixing people’s generators after Ian. I changed it for her, but getting the Generac oil filters was a pain. I finally bought 8 of them from norwall.com for about $60 delivered. I left an extra one with her and I’ll take the remaining 6 up north for our two generators. Her generator had run for 8 days before she ran out of propane. Luckily, she got power back the same day.

I was only able to drain a quart out of it including what was in the filter. It took almost 2 quarts to fill it. What drained out was almost like honey in color and consistency. It’s supposed to be 5w-30 and it was 85 degrees when I drained it. The service company had changed it in June.

Posts: 10949 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:

It was 7 years after installing my Onan 20kW that we had a power outage more than a couple of minutes.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Generator should run a weekly test cycle to reassure you.

Posts: 2304 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:
Generator should run a weekly test cycle to reassure you.
Absolutely .

Posts: 4058 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post