SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    100% frivolous purchases.... what have you bought? No ridicule allowed.. personal update pg 6
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

100% frivolous purchases.... what have you bought? No ridicule allowed.. personal update pg 6 Login/Join 
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
It's coming to me from Europe. I saw it on sale over the weekend and said might as well buy it. Will post pics and video when it gets here.

For those in the hobby:
hilt by korbanth, nanobiscotte 4 soundboard, neopixel(plecterpixel) blade.

Obi-Wan's The Phantom Menace lightsaber has always been my "grail" saber.

Here’s a sample of what neopixel blades are. No longer do you just have a tube of light in this hobby. This one was bought from Vader’s Vault last year.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/XmWMJjIaHDU

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8059 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:
[/url]

What time should I arrive at your house?

No problems sharing

30min before the games start next Thursday

If ya start driving about 5am be arriving about right

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6247 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
Stadium seats from the 1960s Busch Stadium when Busch Stadium II was built in 2005. ($500). I gave up trying to find a place inside for them and they sit on our back patio.

Posts: 2552 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Recently bought a P226 X-Five I couldn't possibly need.

Oh well, there went $888 that wasn't really doing much.

OMGoodness 38SuperSig - I will pay you 5% interest on that investment if you consider that purchase to be frivolous.....WOW. Unreal price for a P226 X5.....Mark. Wink

Posts: 3253 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just made my most recent frivolous purchase last week:
Ruger GPNY 4 inch. One of the so called contract overrun 4 inch DA/SA models. .38 Special. Fixed sights. Maybe a rare gun. Possibly. No one seems to really know. I just wanted it.
And since no ridicule: Crocs. 2 pair.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16175 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post

The Z is just for kicks. Don’t really need it as I have two others cars.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I buy and wear cheap watches. The kind that are obviously made in dirty, grimy sweatshops in some unbeknownst communal village in the depths of China. The kind of watches that cost less than a cheap 50ct box of 230gr 45ACP, and of the type that won't bust you up when they inevitably break down and stop working, nor send you off into some juvenile flying rage when the cheap plastic "crystal" gets its first scratch. If they're lucky enough to go on for a year or so, you'd rather buy another of the type rather than bother buying a new battery to replace the dying one in its carcass.

These throwaway watches are invariably designed to look like a Casio G-Shock. That's the look that I like in a watch, but I won't buy the Real Deal. I did that once, and the Real Deal died an ignominious death in less than 10 months. Near $200 for ten frickin' months. I told myself I won't do THAT ever again. So Amazon and cheap knockoffish Chinese watches have been the norm for me these past 5 or 6 years.

I was going along quite well when I had two of these cheapies bit the dust less than two weeks apart. So I go back on Amazon and start searching for another cheapie.

Then instead I buy a Citizen, an atomic solar powered one. No battery, not that I've actually been changing them out in my cheapies these past few years. I'd seen the Navihawk several years ago and I admit I liked the look of the thing even though any possible hint of usefulness as a navigational tool is lost on me since I'm not a pilot. Hell, I don't even KNOW if this watch is actually USEFUL for such a role and purpose. But it looks very, very cool.

The watch was on sale so $329 plus sales tax later, I bought one. Great price, right? After all, back in 2014 one would set back a buyer around $500 easy. Now it's $200 less...how can I go wrong? Never mind the LAST Citizen Eco-Drive I bought broke in little over a year's time of daily wear. That Skyhawk while it was working was a decent timepiece, but its delicate and fragile nature in regards to the analog hands was extremely disappointing.

So now years later I'm back. How many of those cheapies could I have bought? 18? 20? Hell, if I could get about a year's amount of usefulness with each one, that would more or less take me to my deathbed. Given how long my last Citizen lasted, I seriously doubt that this new one will last two decades. Yet I bought it anyways.

Yeah I'd say that it qualifies as frivolous. And darn busy to look at.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2962 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
You're a brave man buying that much A5 at one time without trying a single steak first. It's been reviewed by many to be a bit too rich for people's tastes. Count me in that group. I shared a A5 steak with a friend of mine and he pan seared it perfectly. We both had about 8 ounces. By the time I was done with it I had a growing after taste like I had a thin layer of a really rich olive oil on my tongue and roof of my mouth that needed to be washed down.

It wasn't a offensive taste by any means but just a I really need to rinse my palate feeling.

I find American Wagyu with a BMS rating of 6 to 8 to be a bit more to my liking.

But hey maybe I should come over and try your's just to see if it might have been a one time reaction! Wink

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8553 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
CMMG Anvil 458SOCOM. Retirement present for myself.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7662 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:

Took a class at Sig Academy....and I too brought one of these home....but damn! it’s a great shooter!! Big Grin

Posts: 3124 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Poor from expensive travel with the wife, worth every penny.

Posts: 5370 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Watches, guns, and knives are my weaknesses.
Those are your weaknesses. What are your strengths? Hookers and blow?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30850 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Man, compared to some of your purchases (Bimmers and such), I'm feeling better already, lol!

My recent purchase, cost me $155 shipped, and for which I have no IMMEDIATE need, but the more I read, the more I had to buy:

Gransfors Bruks Small Forest Axe. Swedish made, cuts paper right outta the box. Which is important, yaknow, in... an axe.

Must. Find. Use. For. It. (before wifey finds out I bought another axe without cause....)

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6391 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I have that axe as well. It too was a frivolous purchase for me. I've had it for years now, and have never used it. I think I might get a Hultsfors hatchet. My Fiskars hatchet gets more use.

Posts: 13055 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
I don't know about frivolous, however, I own some nice watches that were expensive when I could have bought a cheap Timex from Walmart to tell time. Most of my watches are mechanical/automatic. To me its not about telling time its about the mechanics involved to make them work.
I used to work in a gun store. Every so often I ask my self why did I buy that gun. Usually it was because the price was right.
All of the Disney trinkets around my house.
An oil skin duster I never wore. I live in Florida so it never really got cold enough to wear. I did sell it at a loss though.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2592 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
Since 1964 I have gone through 47 4-wheeled vehicles and 11 2-wheeled vehicles. Of all of those the one that was a 100% frivolous buy was my '06 Jeep SRT8.

Of the 5 4WD Jeeps I have owned this one was way off the reservation; unable to tow anything, off road driving voids factory warranty, runs on premium only, 20" fancy wheels w/very low profile tires, and 10-13 MPG tops!

But F.U.N. from a stop light! It was the winner of the stop light Grand Prix 95% of the time. The fun stopped when premium hit $4/gal. and the 13 MPG only happened on a level freeway, in cruise control @ 55 MPH. It had to go. So after 17 months and 7,349 miles I re-homed it to a buyer in Las Vegas. Later I found out it made it to London!.

Posts: 4071 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
My wife would say the S2000, but I would disagree.

Buying a S2000 is NEVER frivolous! Big Grin Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16299 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I forgot this. My g/f bought it for me a couple of months ago (well she found the car and put the down payment down for me, I've got to pay the rest). It's totally frivolous, but for my 44th bday she said she had to go all out.

pretint

I had it tinted.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8059 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Z06:
Since 1964 I have gone through 47 4-wheeled vehicles and 11 2-wheeled vehicles. Of all of those the one that was a 100% frivolous buy was my '06 Jeep SRT8.

Of the 5 4WD Jeeps I have owned this one was way off the reservation; unable to tow anything, off road driving voids factory warranty, runs on premium only, 20" fancy wheels w/very low profile tires, and 10-13 MPG tops!

But F.U.N. from a stop light! It was the winner of the stop light Grand Prix 95% of the time. The fun stopped when premium hit $4/gal. and the 13 MPG only happened on a level freeway, in cruise control @ 55 MPH. It had to go. So after 17 months and 7,349 miles I re-homed it to a buyer in Las Vegas. Later I found out it made it to London!.

Sick!

But did she hold a MBR843?

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post