SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    H Ross Perot has passed
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

H Ross Perot has passed Login/Join 
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
RIP.
A great American and a true patriot.

I was a supporter when he ran for President. His big mistake was that I don't think He really wanted to be President. His in the race, out of the race indecision really killed his chances.

Posts: 4623 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ride the lightning
Picture of Killer Instincts
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
Son of a bitch made it possible for Bill Clintoon to become president. R.I.H.

thats what he will always be remembered for IMO
Except he didn't, LMFAO!

This is what lost it - "Read my lips, NO NEW TAXES" and keeping Dan Fucking Quayle as his running mate for round 2, when he should have dumped him.

Not to mention the political fallout from his involvement in the coverup of Iran-Contra.

Posts: 2167 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
A pretty severe recession hit George Bush Sr's administration precisely at the wrong time and THAT is what put Bill Clinton into office more than anything else.

Posts: 33793 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
He also arranged the rescue of his own people who were held in Iran during the hostage situation in the late 1970's, IIRC. I forget if it was before or after the US military's failed attempt.

At one point, he wanted to see how his people were doing, so he slipped into Iran, put on a disguise, and visited them in the prison they were held in.

The man was brilliant, and bold as brass. I admire him.
I recently re-read "On Wings of Eagles" Fredrick Forsythe's account of the extraction of two jailed EDS managers from Iran in the midst of the Islamic revolution. Perot reportedly said, when asked about his success after the year-later failed attempt to rescue the embassy hostages, "we had an unfair advantage, we had Bull Simons."

Posts: 6468 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
He really didn't. Bush lost the race on his own.

There is nothing sacred about the two-party system. In fact, to me there's a distinctly swamp-like odor to it. Who really likes a weak-ass Republican Party any more than they like a corrupt-to-the-core Democratic Party? One of the Founding Fathers (I forget who) said that every 20 years or so, we should "throw the Rascals out!"

Perot tried to accomplish that on our behalf, and as he didn't succeed, he laid the groundwork for Trump, and I hope for many more like them.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9156 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:

I recently re-read "On Wings of Eagles" Fredrick Forsythe's account of the extraction of two jailed EDS managers from Iran in the midst of the Islamic revolution...

I think I still have my copy, and meant to look for it a couple months ago. Time to pull it out.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9156 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
If you ever get a chance to go to the Reagan Library in Simi Valley (I've been there 4 times), it was H. Ross Perot who provided most of the major funding for the library and the enclosed glass display building for AF-1.

Perot didn't cause Clinton to Win. Bush did all he could to lose.

We need more people like Perot in this country. I remember his slogan had a sticker and a button) - Ross for Boss

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53175 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
If you ever get a chance to go to the Reagan Library in Simi Valley (I've been there 4 times), it was H. Ross Perot who provided most of the major funding for the library and the enclosed glass display building for AF-1.

Perot didn't cause Clinton to Win. Bush did all he could to lose.

We need more people like Perot in this country. I remember his slogan had a sticker and a button) - Ross for Boss

He should have bought Microsoft. He had the chance early.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

This is the revisionist history that the DNC and Clinton's want the world to believe. Bill won on his own, swept into office by the majority of the USA. That many "moderate" dems voted for Ross who would have voted for Billy had Ross not run. Sure, right.....

Ross gutted 41 and split the GOP vote. Or you can believe the Clinton political machine that Slick Willie would have won regardless. Only 43% of those who voted, voted for Clinton, I can see why they would want to change history.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
"Can I get a word in, Larry?"

(Silence)

"I mean, I mean, can I just get a word in, Larry"

"Go ahead, Mr. Perot, he's not saying anything."

(Extended silence)

"Well, I just wanna know, is he going to remain silent so that I can get just a word in, Larry?"

(Even longer extended silence)

"I just wanna know, Larry, can I, can I, can I just get a word in?"

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Everybody "knows" Perot cost Bush his 2nd election but they cannot tell you how the "know" because it's built on as much truth as people who "know" about guns from TV and movies.

I used to be one of those people who "knew" but then someone on Sigforum challenged me to look deeper and one of the many things I read was an in-depth statistical analysis state by state. Bush lost, Clinton won and big picture Perot sucked away votes evenly from both sides. Sure in some precincts Perot sucked away more votes from Bush than Clinton, but there always seemed to be an offsetting precinct where Perot sucked away more votes from Clinton than Bush.

How about we get this thread back on track? A great innovator (e.g. EDS was one of the initial innovators in 3D CAD) who made a difference in this country (e.g. worked on POW/MIA issue) passed away.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Everybody "knows" Perot cost Bush his 2nd election but they cannot tell you how the "know" because it's built on as much truth as people who "know" about guns from TV and movies..

Actually, just look at the numbers in each state and some of the bigger states Billy has a slight margin but Ross hit big. Simple math.

But you are correct, Perot was a great business man, patriot and I do not fault him for running. He will be missed.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
What I remember most back then was the battle with General Motors. Had a lot of respect for him, hard worker and very smart.

There was a lot to admire about H. Ross, but in my opinion he was a deeply flawed man (as are most of us).
I was in engineering supervision at GM during the battle between H. Ross and the bean-counters running GM at the time, he correctly outlined the problems facing the US auto companies, and proposed solutions which would/could have worked.
After the GM stock deal H. Ross had the votes to do anything he wanted at GM so he had a golden opportunity to turn GM around and probably the rest of the US auto industry by example.
Instead he went whistling off after some other challenge leaving the bean-counters in charge at GM with predictable results.

He had two shots at making a real impact in the POTUS elections and blew both (in my opinion).

As for the Clinton/Bush Election, I think Clinton's 43% vote total is probably a reflection of the fact that he was known to be a deeply flawed candidate with a very shaky wife running, so the Clintons said as co-president. Would that marvelous pair have done better without H. Ross as a distraction? Who can say? Certainly I don't buy the official Clinton/Democrat spin.

Posts: 3853 | Location: Citrus County Florida | Registered: October 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldRoger:
quote:
What I remember most back then was the battle with General Motors. Had a lot of respect for him, hard worker and very smart.

There was a lot to admire about H. Ross, but in my opinion he was a deeply flawed man (as are most of us).
I was in engineering supervision at GM during the battle between H. Ross and the bean-counters running GM at the time, he correctly outlined the problems facing the US auto companies, and proposed solutions which would/could have worked.
After the GM stock deal H. Ross had the votes to do anything he wanted at GM so he had a golden opportunity to turn GM around and probably the rest of the US auto industry by example.
Instead he went whistling off after some other challenge leaving the bean-counters in charge at GM with predictable results.

He had two shots at making a real impact in the POTUS elections and blew both (in my opinion).

As for the Clinton/Bush Election, I think Clinton's 43% vote total is probably a reflection of the fact that he was known to be a deeply flawed candidate with a very shaky wife running, so the Clintons said as co-president. Would that marvelous pair have done better without H. Ross as a distraction? Who can say? Certainly I don't buy the official Clinton/Democrat spin.

Great comment. Respect.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
All I remember, during my fist Presidential election I could vote in (1992) is Perot saying he didn't wish to get paid. His Presidential salary would go towards the national debt. He got my vote and I'm definitely not ashamed of it. And I heard all the same bullshit back then about him costing Bush the election, bullshit! He was born in Texarkana and died here in Dallas and we support our own down here. Reading people spout that same bullshit in this thread about this man passing makes me furious. And whomever said he can rest in hell should fuck right off. What a thing to say about someone who just died. Absolutely no class at all.

RIP RP.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12626 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
quote:
quote:

There is nothing sacred about the two-party system. In fact, to me there's a distinctly swamp-like odor to it. Who really likes a weak-ass Republican Party any more than they like a corrupt-to-the-core Democratic Party? One of the Founding Fathers (I forget who) said that every 20 years or so, we should "throw the Rascals out!"

Perot tried to accomplish that on our behalf, and as he didn't succeed, he laid the groundwork for Trump, and I hope for many more like them.

Nothing sacred, but a winner take all system requiring majorities to win makes it very hard to have anything but a two party system.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Nothing sacred, but a winner take all system requiring majorities to win makes it very hard to have anything but a two party system.

Not gonna argue with a lawyer who I respect, but the authors of the Constitution did their best to avoid this, by designing a representative republic in order to prevent rule by the majority. I still want to keep trying.

I honestly don't remember if I voted for Perot. I know I supported him and cheered for him, but the very problem you mention plagued my mind during the 1992 and 1996 elections, and definitely influenced my thinking. I do know that I bought his book, the Forsythe one mentioned previously. Wink Sorry my memory is fuzzy.

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

posted Hide Post
Perot (and Jay Coburn) completed the first helicopter flight around the world in 1982. Always thought that was pretty neat.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
He was a good man and American. He of course had every right to run for president but unfortunately it gave us one of Americas premier pervs, Bill Clinton as president.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He had my vote.

--

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post