SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    H Ross Perot has passed
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

H Ross Perot has passed Login/Join 
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Came across this on the Dallas Morning News website for those who want to piss on Perot's grave

Link

"Now That Ross Perot is Gone, I Can tell This Story"
By Rick Perry, former Governor of Texas

"This week, the nation remembers Ross Perot for his success in business, his two independent White House bids and his no-nonsense, straight Texas talk. His love of country, larger-than-life personality and generosity are all part of his legacy that will live on. But there is another little-known part of the life of Ross Perot that should be told now that he is gone. He was a tireless, but private, supporter of our wounded veterans.

During my time as governor of this great state, I had the honor and privilege of knowing countless warriors who stepped forward to serve in Iraq and Afghanistan and returned home with horrific wounds of war. U.S. Army Cpl. Alan Babin Jr. is one such hero.

While serving in Iraq in 2003 as a medic in the 82nd Airborne, Alan was shot in the abdomen while tending to a fallen comrade. While Alan survived his injury, he faced a long and difficult road to recovery, complicated by the onset of meningitis and a stroke-induced coma that left him confined to a wheelchair for the rest of his life.

On the one-year anniversary of his wounding, I joined Alan and his family for a small gathering. He was still in very bad shape, neurologically and physically incapacitated. When I asked his mother, Rosie, what I could do to help, she said she was eager to get him out of the hospital and back home, but struggling with the prospect of transporting Alan to his many medical visits.

I knew there was one person to call: Ross Perot. What happened next still amazes me to this day. The next morning, Ross personally called Rosie and made arrangements for his plane to pick up the Babins in Austin and fly them to Dallas where Alan could be seen by leading neurologists at Zale Lipshy University Hospital.

When the hospital elevators opened, Ross was standing there to meet Alan personally and ensure that he got the best of care. Later that day, Rosie was handed a key to a hotel room across the street so she could be close to Alan throughout his extended stay.

It didn't stop there.

When Rosie returned to the family home in Round Rock for her daughter's prom, Ross visited privately with Alan to sit with him and make sure he wasn't alone.

After three weeks in Dallas, Alan and Rosie returned home to Austin on Ross' plane. When they arrived home, a fully customized luxury conversion van equipped with a wheelchair lift was waiting for them in their driveway.

Later when they spoke, Ross told Rosie two things: "One phone call is all you ever need to make if you need anything. Now, I want you to focus on Alan." And that is exactly what happened.

In 2005, when Alan needed to return to Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Ross flew the Babins to Washington, D.C., and arranged for a private ambulance to pick him up on the tarmac and transport him to the hospital.

Today, Alan and his parents live together in a specially adapted smarthome provided by the generosity of another great champion of our wounded warriors, Gary Sinise. Thanks to the support of patriots like Gary and Ross, Alan has progressed in his limited physical ability to become an accomplished adaptive skier, hand cyclist and golfer.

Over the years, Rosie has come to call those who rushed to Alan's aid "Alan's Angels," but the title "Big Angel" is and will forever be reserved for Ross Perot.

While alive, Ross would have shunned any effort to grant him credit for his support of Alan and the untold others he quietly helped through unimaginably challenging times. But now that he is gone, everyone should know the quality of the man that our state, our nation and our wounded veterans have lost.

God bless Ross Perot."

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
^^^
quote:
"God bless Ross Perot."

Amen to that. Great story. RIP

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24110 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
I went as Perot for Halloween once as a kid, Bob Dole another year.

I was a weird kid.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Southflorida-law:
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
Son of a bitch made it possible for Bill Clintoon to become president. R.I.H.
He really didn't. Bush lost the race on his own.

This is the revisionist history that the DNC and Clinton's want the world to believe. Bill won on his own, swept into office by the majority of the USA. That many "moderate" dems voted for Ross who would have voted for Billy had Ross not run. Sure, right.....

Ross gutted 41 and split the GOP vote. Or you can believe the Clinton political machine that Slick Willie would have won regardless. Only 43% of those who voted, voted for Clinton, I can see why they would want to change history.
Reference / facts / links please?

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
Bush and Clinton were part of the same fucked up machine that continues to disrupt the prosperity of this country and sabotage true conservative ideals -- ESTABLISHMENT career parasites! This man worked for a living!

RIP Ross. We need more like you and Donald Trump!

Posts: 5134 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
Sometimes my memory plays tricks on me, so please forgive me if I'm remembering things incorrectly. But, didn't Perot back out when his polling numbers surpassed Clinton's, then re-enter after Clinton's numbers still didn't rise enough? Wasn't there some story about Perot's daughter being kidnapped or some such thing? (Serious question)

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10705 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Admittedly I was upset with Mr Perot for what appeared to me as facilitating Clinton's election. Retrospectively I should have been furious with the Republican Party for being incompetent and so politically establishmentarian as to put up the milquetoast candidates they were. I said some bad things about him back in the 90's that I wish I could take back.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
when I was a boy, Perot got my support because he spoke plainly and made sense. must be why I pulled for in the republican race and then voted for Trump.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I remember that election, wondering all summer “When will Bush begin to campaign??” I saw him in person in September before the election at a campaign rally, and it seemed like he didn’t want to be there, like it was very tedious. In Utah, in Sept. Really?? Why? Money raising, I guess. From watching the campaign, I really feel like Bush 41 was responsible for the loss.

I believe Perot ran because he wanted to change things, not just to sabotage the right. How can a person be faulted for running for office? It’s every American’s right to seek office. However you feel about the election, Perot’s support for our veterans makes him irreproachable about the election. This country would be a better place if it had more people like Perot.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post