SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    H Ross Perot has passed
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

H Ross Perot has passed Login/Join 
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted
I know Wikipedia tends to be looked at with some skepticism, but....
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ross_Perot

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Son of a bitch made it possible for Bill Clintoon to become president. R.I.H.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Henry Ross Perot

Born June 27, 1930 Texarkana, Texas
Died July 9, 2019 (aged 89) Dallas, Texas

Henry Ross Perot (/pəˈroʊ/; June 27, 1930 – July 9, 2019) was an American business magnate, billionaire, philanthropist, and former politician. He was the founder and former chief executive officer of Electronic Data Systems and Perot Systems. He ran an independent presidential campaign in 1992 and a third party campaign in 1996, establishing the Reform Party in the latter election. Both campaigns were among the strongest presidential showings by a third party or independent candidate in U.S. history.

Born in Texarkana, Texas, he became a salesman for IBM after serving in the United States Navy. In 1962, he founded Electronic Data Systems, a data processing service company. In 1984, General Motors bought a controlling interest in the company for $2.4 billion. Perot established Perot Systems in 1988 and was an angel investor for NeXT, a computer company founded by Steve Jobs after he left Apple. Perot also became heavily involved in the Vietnam War POW/MIA issue, arguing that hundreds of American servicemen were left behind in Southeast Asia after the Vietnam War. During President George H. W. Bush's tenure, Perot became increasingly active in politics and strongly opposed the Gulf War and ratification of the North American Free Trade Agreement.

In 1992, Perot announced his intention to run for president and advocated a balanced budget, an end to the outsourcing of jobs, and the enactment of electronic direct democracy. A June 1992 Gallup poll showed Perot leading a three-way race against President Bush and presumptive Democratic nominee Bill Clinton. Perot briefly withdrew from the race in July, but re-entered the race in early October after he qualified for all 50 state ballots. He chose Admiral James Stockdale as his running mate and appeared in the 1992 CPD debates with Bush and Clinton. In the election, Perot won 18.9% of the popular vote but did not win any electoral votes. He won support from across the ideological and partisan spectrum, but performed best among self-described moderates. Perot ran for president again in 1996, establishing the Reform Party as a vehicle for his campaign. He won 8.4% of the popular vote against President Clinton and Republican nominee Bob Dole.

Perot did not seek public office again after 1996 and did not enter the 2000 Reform Party presidential primaries. He endorsed Republican George W. Bush over Reform nominee Pat Buchanan in the 2000 election and supported Republican Mitt Romney in 2008 and 2012. In 2009, Dell acquired Perot Systems for $3.9 billion. According to Forbes, Perot was the 167th richest person in the United States in 2016.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23942 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
He really didn't. Bush lost the race on his own.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Do any of y'all remember this? Big Grin

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/uHClJGBjsqk

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:

Yup.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Ross Perot Nailed It On Free Trade In 1992

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23942 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Perot pulled a lot of moderate Democrats too.
He did have a lot of good ideas but he wasn't the right messenger. He came off as too much of a loon at times.

Posts: 9454 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:

Wrong.

Posts: 1801 | Location: Possum Kingdom, TX | Registered: April 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:

Mr. Perot took the action he believed necessary to rescue the United States of America from the corrupt political oligarchy of Democrats and Republicans. In many ways he was the 1992 election cycle Donald Trump.

He was the only candidate in my 60 years who talked seriously about fiscal conservatism. If more people had supported him the United States might not have a $22 TRILLION dollar debt today, a debt that cannot be repaid and therefore ensures our ultimate financial ruin.

He predicted NAFTA (and later its clone for the Pacific Rim) was a good old ass rape for American industry. Today we laud President Trump for renegotiating NAFTA. That might not have been necessary as I doubt Perot would have stayed with it from the start.

I salute you, Mr. H. Ross Perot, for your service to our country and the digital revolution you helped spark.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31376 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Ex-EDS, Ross was a great businessman and patriotic American. Did not always agree and his presidential run was...not good. Does not take way from all he achieved.

Great American has passed.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

thats what he will always be remembered for IMO

-------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
quote:

thats what he will always be remembered for IMO
Except he didn't, LMFAO!

This is what lost it - "Read my lips, NO NEW TAXES" and keeping Dan Fucking Quayle as his running mate for round 2, when he should have dumped him.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
What I remember most back then was the battle with General Motors. Had a lot of respect for him, hard worker and very smart.

Posts: 1288 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He also arranged the rescue of his own people who were held in Iran during the hostage situation in the late 1970's, IIRC. I forget if it was before or after the US military's failed attempt.

At one point, he wanted to see how his people were doing, so he slipped into Iran, put on a disguise, and visited them in the prison they were held in.

The man was brilliant, and bold as brass. I admire him.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FlyingScot:
Ex-EDS, Ross was a great businessman and patriotic American. Did not always agree and his presidential run was...not good. Does not take way from all he achieved.

Great American has passed.

Exactly, Bush 41 probably would have lost anyway all on his own.
RIP for a great man.

Posts: 22855 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:

Ross certainly contributed to the loss, although I don't think you can blame him for it in full. (I know ya'll Bush-haters don't like to admit that.)

Ross was something else though. I liked him.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
RIP Sir.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:

This Mad...he sucked votes off here in my state big time...our local news said it was the "Perot effect" and said it was good.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
He also arranged the rescue of his own people who were held in Iran during the hostage situation in the late 1970's, IIRC. I forget if it was before or after the US military's failed attempt.

At one point, he wanted to see how his people were doing, so he slipped into Iran, put on a disguise, and visited them in the prison they were held in.

The man was brilliant, and bold as brass. I admire him.

I read a book(?) about this. The employees were held hostage late in the shah's reign, and they were spirited out during the chaos of the overthrow. Seems the rebels broke open the jail to free their political comrades.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post