SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What dish are you famous for?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What dish are you famous for? Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
“Dish?” I don’t know, but what if I said sourdough hotcakes?

Posts: 13260 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:

You can say it all you want, but if you don't include a recipe, it don't mean nothin'.

Razz Big Grin

Posts: 20100 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
My Brunswick Stew.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I make a pretty mean Cream of Broccoli soup.

3 tablespoons butter, plus 2 tablespoons cold butter, cut into pieces
1 cup yellow onions chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
Pinch nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 cups chicken stock or canned, chicken broth
1 (16-ounce) package frozen broccoli, thawed and separated
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 1/4 cups shredded medium Cheddar

In a medium pot, melt the 3 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Add the onions, salt, pepper, and nutmeg and cook, stirring, until soft. Add the garlic and thyme cook, stirring, until fragrant (30 seconds or so). Add the flour and cook, stirring until the mixture is well blended and smells fragrant, 2 minutes(ish). Slowly add the chicken stock, whisking constantly, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until thickened. Add the broccoli and cook, stirring, until tender, for around 10 minutes.

Remove the pot from the heat and puree with a hand-held immersion blender.

Add the cream and bring to a simmer to heat through. Add the cheese and cook over low heat, stirring, until melted. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons cold butter, stirring to blend.

(There may or may not be some embellishments to the above recipe Wink)

Posts: 20100 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I guess I'd call it most famous as the recipe/technique is requested the most often are reverse seared steaks and my chili recipe.

The dish I get the most compliments on is smoked pork tenderloin. It's stupid easy (slather 1 lb tenderloin in mustard, put on your favorite rib rub, add some fresh rosemary, and cook low n slow) but the key is I cook to temperature (internal temp of 145F) not time so it's perfectly cooked. I use 1 lb because they're done in about 30 minutes so the smoke isn't overpowering. I'd rather put 2 or 3 one pound tenderloins on the BGE than a single 2 or 3 pounder as meat diameter/thickness is one of the biggest impacts on cooking time.

The dish I get the 2nd most compliments on was originally a complete screw up on my part. I got an excellent Mexican rice recipe from a cooking class in Alaska (sounds like a strange place to learn it, but it's damn good). The screw up came in the form I was entertaining some out of country business guests at my house and at the grocery store grabbed mistakenly quinoa instead of rice. They were on the way over and I'm trying to figure out what to do so I gambled and on the fly converted the recipe to Mexican quinoa.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23259 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
A greek Dish called Pastitsio or Pastitsa

NO RED SAUCE!
my. Yiya made the best like Italy the northern greeks use tomatoes very little or sparingly at most.

The recipes I see on line is with tomato sauce (Yuck) it masks al the flavors. Also there is only one cheese (No Substitutes) Kefalotyri Cheese.
Traditionally made for Greek Easter and Christmas
1 dz eggs, I pound of Kefalotyri cheese, and Bechemel Sauce, 1 pound of butter a real health food!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pastitsio

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8356 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted Hide Post
I bet like most of the guys on here, you all just wing it as you go. I'm like that, I never write anything down. It's consistently pretty good but never the same. My recipes should always be taken loosely

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6010 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cyanide357:
Dave,

That's a non-stick (Teflon / PTFE) wok correct? Any idea how hot you're getting it?

I only ask as you stated hot enough for the pan (I assume itself) to smoke, then you may be getting it too hot - to the point that the non-stick coating starts to degrade (662F+) and releases fumes (and I would suspect add contaminates to the food itself).

But the dish itself looks awesome! What is the heat / fuel source you're using (I can't make it out from the pictures).

I usually put sesame oil in it and it smokes pretty quickly.

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6010 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:

You can say it all you want, but if you don't include a recipe, it don't mean nothin'.

Razz Big Grin

Standby

Posts: 13260 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
My pork butts and ribs off the pellet smoker usually get great reviews. The pork butts smoke for at least 12 hrs with a great rub, insanely good.

Posts: 3851 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Self explanatory. Big Grin

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Dave, thank you. You don’t know it but I had a very disappointing lunch of shaken beef yesterday. So much so that I wondered if I could do better myself.

Any order to adding the ingredients or is basically add everything right up front?

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
My wife.

This my situation as well. I do have a couple of things that I get requests for. I'm the go to guy for crab/shrimp cocktail, baby back ribs and pulled pork. I also make a mean breakfast scramble with whatever is in the fridge. Fresh eggs from our chickens and usually sausage or bacon plus onion, bell pepper, mushrooms, Havarti or Cheddar cheese and homemade salsa.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dinty Moore

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16091 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Ice cream Razz

Pretty good at a few other things, as well...

Posts: 5738 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Steak,

Ribeye one inch thick,
Webber grill,
Offset fire,
One or two small chunks of hickory
Twenty minutes on one side ( one good drink of whiskey)
Flip
Ten or fifteen minutes on the other( another drink)

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11284 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
crispy fried chicken

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 252 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Fresh Chanterelle Mushroom Omlette;
Dried Morel Mushroom Omlette;

basic you-can-guess ingredients,
it's what you do & how you treat 'em;

Got a decent sourdough starter from a lady in Salmon River Country about 35 years ago; still working on the pancake presentation. No ingredients to list, other than 'granny's starter & flour'; feed the sponge & be sure to use it regularly.

Secret Method in all of above:~~~>>>Cast iron of course.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Chili

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7946 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Peach BBQ Pork Tenderloin:

Sauce:
4 ounces bacon slices, chopped
1 dried chile de àrbol,* broken in half
1 cup coarsely chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tablespoon whole black peppercorns, crushed
2 small peaches (10 to 12 ounces total), halved, pitted, diced
1 cup orange juice 1 cup ketchup
1 1/2 tablespoons (or more) fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar

Pork:
3 pork tenderloins, trimmed
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper
4 teaspoons coarse kosher salt
2 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic

For sauce:
Sauté chopped bacon and chile de àrbol in heavy large saucepan over medium heat until bacon is crisp. Add chopped onion and garlic cloves; sauté until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add Worcestershire sauce and crushed peppercorns; stir 1 minute. Add peaches and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add orange juice, ketchup, 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice, brown sugar and hot pepper sauce. Simmer until sauce thickens enough to coat spoon thickly, stirring sauce often, about 30 minutes. Strain sauce into medium bowl, pressing enough liquid and solids through strainer to yield 2 cups sauce; discard solids in strainer. Season sauce to taste with salt and more lemon juice, if desired.

I'll toss in a Serano and a Chipolte pepper on occasion, just to deepen or layer the flavor of the sauce.
I pull the pork off the grill at about 140-150 degrees, and cover it in tinfoil, let it sit for a few minutes to finish cooking.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8347 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post