SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What dish are you famous for?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What dish are you famous for? Login/Join 
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted
I think mine is called "shaken beef" or bo luc lac. I have to limit my kids from eating too much of this, but I have to tell you I can eat it everyday! Good over rice, noodles, spaghetti, vegetables, pound cake...anything.

1.5 lbs beef sirloin (or what ever cut you like) cut into 1″ cubes. I use whole ribeyes and cut into 1 inch cubes.
2 tbs minced garlic
1.0 tbs brown sugar
2 tbs oyster sauce (Lee Kum Kee)
1 tbs dark soy sauce
1 tbs sesame oil
1 tsp dark (thick) soy sauce
1 half onion sliced in wedges

The most important ingredient in making Bo Luc Lac is HEAT. You want your skillet or wok so hot that it's smoking, add the meat do not stir yet, let the heat seal in the juices, 2 minutish, flip with the wok or mix on your skillet. Do not continuously mix or flip, the important thing is for the meat to sear in the juices. This dish should not take more than 5 minutes to prepare for medium rare. Make in batches if you are making for more than 2 people.

Who's got a recipe for pound cake?

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6010 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Maryland crab cakes.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38677 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
Maryland crab cakes.

recipe and pictures!!!

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6010 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
It might be silly, but I do a few things well.

Perfectly crisp bacon.

Hard boiled eggs that aren't _hard_.

Non-burned grilled cheese.

More, but all simple stuff.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
What is dark sauce ?

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by davetruong:
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
Maryland crab cakes.

recipe and pictures!!!

Super simple!

Mix the following:

-12 oz lump crab. Not easy to come by, but decent quality can be had in cans in the deli department. Miller Select brand.
-2 heaping Tbs mayo
-2 eggs, beaten
-1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
-1/2 tsp red pepper
-dash salt
20-25 Ritz crackers

Break up crackers fairly fine. (I use a plastic freezer bag) Add to the other ingredients. If you refrigerate the mixture for a while, it makes it easier to form the cakes.

Fry in a combo of butter and olive oil until golden brown.

Enjoy!

Sorry, no pics as of now.

Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38677 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted Hide Post
It's a sauce that brings you to the dark side...hahaha...I forgot the soy in dark sauce

God, Family, Country.

Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Gumbo. Smile

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I'll be making Bo Luc Lac

Thanks, Dave!

posted Hide Post
bachelor pizza
bachelor 50/50 chili
bachelor goulash
bachelor tuna & noodle casserole
and
Reuban sandwich

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54640 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyanide357
posted Hide Post
Dave,

That's a non-stick (Teflon / PTFE) wok correct? Any idea how hot you're getting it?

I only ask as you stated hot enough for the pan (I assume itself) to smoke, then you may be getting it too hot - to the point that the non-stick coating starts to degrade (662F+) and releases fumes (and I would suspect add contaminates to the food itself).

But the dish itself looks awesome! What is the heat / fuel source you're using (I can't make it out from the pictures).

Posts: 249 | Registered: November 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I don't cook, but I make a killer fruit salad, and it's even something that Diabetics can eat (some of).

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A friend shared a recipe with us that I love. Slice up a good steak into 1/4” strips. Season with garlic power. Marinade with equil parts soy and sugar. Cook on grill. Makes a mess. 1 minute or less per side, and people will be standing in line for it.

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1128 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
What do you do with the sauce, add after the meat is cooked or is it a marinate ?

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
3 of my most requested:
Breakfast Pizza
Taco Salad
Pot Roast

The recipes will be carried with me to the grave...[cue mysterious music] Cool

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
3 of my most requested:
Breakfast Pizza

What do you put on your breakfast pizza?

Not asking for a recipe...the grave thing and all.

Just curious as I'm on a pizza kick lately. I've had some variety of pizza pretty much every night for the past week. Made a double batch of crust dough and tossed them into the freezer and a double batch of sauce and canned it. Easy-peasy dinners.

For the pizza aficionados, I did learn something from Chef John. Since mozzarella is essentially tasteless, sprinkle some Parmesan on top before putting it in the oven. Wow, does it bring the taste up to a new level.

Posts: 20100 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
My wife.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
My wife.

Ba dum tsshh.

Posts: 20100 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
There is some good chow in this thread. I have to try David Troung's entry. That sounds great.

I am generally a good cook. I don't think of any particular meal as being a singularity. But I do make a good meat sauce for pasta. My chili is good, and I also make pretty good gumbo.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post