SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What dish are you famous for?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What dish are you famous for? Login/Join 
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
“Dish?” I don’t know, but what if I said sourdough hotcakes?

You can say it all you want, but if you don't include a recipe, it don't mean nothin'.

Razz Big Grin

OK, I'll give you my fruit salad recipe, since you say we need to provide one for our offering.

David Casteel's No-sugar added Fruit Salad

Ingredients Required:
--------------------
2 ea 20-oz cans pineapple chunks in juice (no sugar added)
(substitute 1 lb of fresh pineapple chunks)

1 ea 20-oz can pineapple tidbits in juice (no sugar added)
(substitute a 3rd can of pineapple chunks if tidbits not available)

1 ea 64-oz jar SunFresh red grapefruit sections (substitute 2 ea 15-oz cans unsweetened grapefruit sections—red variety preferred)

1 ea 24-oz jar SunFresh citrus salad (optional)

2 ea 15-oz cans sliced peaches in juice (or very light syrup)

1 ea 15-oz can pitted pie cherries (tart)

1 ea 15-oz can mandarin orange sections

1 ea 15-oz can chunky fruits for salads in very light syrup (optional)

1 cup lemon juice (may be more if a really tart salad is desired—I use 1 ½ cup)

2 large or 3 medium apples (Granny Smith and/or MacIntosh preferred)

2 medium or 3 small bananas

½ to 1 lb seedless grapes (green and/or red)

Procedure:
---------
1. Open and drain liquid off all canned fruits. I save the liquids from all but the mandarin oranges for use as a punch base, etc.

2. Dump the pineapple, mandarin oranges, and pitted cherries into a container where the salad will be mixed. I find this recipe just fills a 9" square Rubbermaid (TM) box, but mixing is easier in a larger bowl.
If fresh pineapple is used, it may be desirable to cut the chunks into smaller pieces.

3. Now process the packaged grapefruit sections. If no packaged grapefruit is available, you may use 1 or 2 large Ruby Red grapefruits sectioned by hand. Tear or cut each section into 2 or 3 smaller pieces into the mixing container. If citrus salad is added, use the same procedure for it.

4. Now process the sliced peaches. Cut each slice into 2 to 4 smaller pieces into the mixing container.

5. Separate the grapes into individual fruits and remove the stems. Add to the mixing container.

Steps 6, 7, and 8 should be done quickly to prevent browning of the fruit.

6. Cut each apple into 8 wedges by cutting parallel to and through the core. For each wedge, cut off the thin portion which is part of the core and then cut across into slices about 1/8" thick. Slice the apples directly into the mixing container. Note that the peels are not
removed, adding color to the salad. Alternatively, slice the apples into a bowl containing the lemon juice, stir them around in it and move only the slices into the mixing container, leaving the juice in the bowl.

7. Now quickly peel the bananas and cut across into round slices about 1/8" to 3/16" thick; slice directly into the mixing container (or into the bowl of lemon juice, then into the mixing bowl).

8. Pour the lemon juice over the pile of apple and banana slices in the mixing bowl, making sure that all slices are coated.

9. Stir the fruit thoroughly so that all are distributed evenly throughout the container. If the container has a tight-fitting lid, put the lid on the container and invert it, allowing the liquid inside to percolate around and through the mixed fruits.

10. Cool before serving.

My friends all are very fond of this fruit salad, and it contains only the sugars found in the individual fruits and is safe for limited consumption by Diabetics.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Folks seem to be pretty fond of my tacos from scratch...

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10940 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
I make a few things pretty well. The things I get the most compliments on are.

Pulled pork
Ribs

Recipe is pretty much the same.

Cover in www.texasbbq.com rub.
Smoke until done.

Posts: 2715 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
My French Toast. It's all about the buttah...

911Boss. Those tacos look delish.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5752 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Boss, I did not know tacos could be made that way. Amazing and looks so simple: raw beef sprinkled with taco seasoning and fried! Learn something everyday. The guac looks real good too.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
Peach BBQ Pork Tenderloin:

Sauce:
4 ounces bacon slices, chopped
1 dried chile de àrbol,* broken in half
1 cup coarsely chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tablespoon whole black peppercorns, crushed
2 small peaches (10 to 12 ounces total), halved, pitted, diced
1 cup orange juice 1 cup ketchup
1 1/2 tablespoons (or more) fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar

Pork:
3 pork tenderloins, trimmed
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper
4 teaspoons coarse kosher salt
2 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic

For sauce:
Sauté chopped bacon and chile de àrbol in heavy large saucepan over medium heat until bacon is crisp. Add chopped onion and garlic cloves; sauté until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add Worcestershire sauce and crushed peppercorns; stir 1 minute. Add peaches and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add orange juice, ketchup, 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice, brown sugar and hot pepper sauce. Simmer until sauce thickens enough to coat spoon thickly, stirring sauce often, about 30 minutes. Strain sauce into medium bowl, pressing enough liquid and solids through strainer to yield 2 cups sauce; discard solids in strainer. Season sauce to taste with salt and more lemon juice, if desired.

I'll toss in a Serano and a Chipolte pepper on occasion, just to deepen or layer the flavor of the sauce.
I pull the pork off the grill at about 140-150 degrees, and cover it in tinfoil, let it sit for a few minutes to finish cooking.

That sounds delicious!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38676 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Probably my pineapple lime chicken

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39753 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
Probably my pineapple lime chicken

THAT sounds good!
Tell us more!

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8356 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Grilled Marinated Flank Steak (from memory)

1-2 lbs Flank Steak
1/2 cup oil (I use peanut)
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 lemon juice (fresh squeezed)
Lemon zest (from squeezed lemons)
Garlic to taste (I like garlic)
1/2 cup Brown Sugar

Marinate the beef for a minimum of four hours (overnight, turning once or twice is better).

Grill about four minutes per side.

I usually grill two steaks. My guests share one and I share the other. Smile

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
911Boss, we need a few details for those awesome looking tacos. What oil do you use; what is your guacamole recipe and how long does it take to fully cook in the oil? I really want to give these a try.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Cioppino

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Peach BBQ Baked Beans

8-12 strips of bacon cut into 1” pieces
1-2 red bell pepper, chopped (or assorted colors)
1 large yellow onion, chopped
2 55 oz cans of Bush’s baked beans
1 29 oz can light peaches, drained (cut up if desired) or ~3 c sliced, fresh peaches
1/2 cup BBQ sauce (the darker & thicker the better)
2 tablespoons Jack’s Old South Rub (more or less depending on how spicy you want the beans); recipe below
1/2 cup [u]real[/u] maple syrup
1/2 cup bourbon

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Drain (do not rinse) the baked beans in a colander. In a large pot over medium-high heat, brown the bacon well, cooking to somewhat crispy. Add the chopped peppers & onion; cook until softened. Transfer to a Dutch oven & add the remaining ingredients. Mix well & place in oven, uncovered, for one hour. Remove from oven, reduce heat to 300°F, stir & check consistency. Cook an additional 3-6 hours based on desired thickness.

Jack’s Old South BBQ Rub

Combine & mix well together:
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup sweet paprika (or any kind will do)
1/4 cup kosher salt
3 tablespoons black pepper
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon dried basil

Posts: 9041 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
911Boss, we need a few details for those awesome looking tacos. What oil do you use; what is your guacamole recipe and how long does it take to fully cook in the oil? I really want to give these a try.

Jim

What kind of ground beef seems to work best...80/20, 90/10, etc.?

Posts: 9041 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I’d also love to learn more about your technique with this, 911Boss. Those look really good.

Posts: 17127 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
Jam Sammich

Eggs, Ham, Cucumbers, Steak, Chicken, Cheese, Tomato, whatever the hell you have in the fridge.

Jam between two slices of stale-ass bread and consume. Liberal application of Studweiser is encouraged.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Although an artist like myself can work SPAM into anything, my two most requested dishes are:

SPACOS (SPAM soft tacos)

And SPAM and jalapeno stuffed pork chops (the old school Break Free with the solidified teflon gives a richer more robust flavor Wink )

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:

Jim

-Smoosh ground beef into half circle on corn tortilla. I usually go 90/10 or 93/7 to reduce cooking shrinkage and keep shell “full”
-Seasonings on the meat are garlic, onion, cayenne pepper powders along with salt/pepper.
-Fill large skillet to about 1/2-3/4” deep with whatever cooking oil you prefer, I usually use canola. When cooking, oil just should be halfway or more up the meat. Not submerged. Depending on size of tortilla and pan, I usually get 3-4 in the pan at a time using a large skillet.
-I cook on a gas stove, medium heat
-While holding open, slip non-beef side into oil first, if doesn’t start sizzling immediately oil is not up to temp. Get into oil upto the halfway point still holding open
-Pause a moment to let oil soften tortilla, then gently fold over beef side
-Cook about 1 1/2 to 2 minute until tortilla is crisp, using tongs turn it over and cook another 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Shell should be crisp and meat fully cooked. If shells are too well done and meat not fully cooked, reduce heat and cook a little longer. Some trial and error to find right time/temp for your stove and preference on doneness. If “smoking” instead of “steaming” while cooking, temp is too high. If tortilla come out black you waited too long to turn it Wink

For extra credit-I will usually gently prop the tortilla open after turning with a couple of half pieces of toothpick or 2” segments of wood chopsticks- this helps to keep it open so shell doesn’t crack when loading condiments. Chopsticks work best as the toothpicks will sometime poke through.

Just have the pieces ready, after flipping taco use tongs to pry open the now cooked side and gently place 2 wood props, one towards each end. As taco finishes cooking the shell will remain fixed slightly open. Make sure you pull the wood before serving.

Homemade guacamole is simple....

-3-4 avocados, cut in half, pull the pit scoop from peel with then chop and mash with potato masher
-10-12 oz of FRESH pico de gallo (or chop fresh tomatos,onions, jalapeño, cilantro)
-Approx 1-1/2 tablespoons of Chili pepper, garlic, and cilantro paste (to taste)
-Salt/pepper to taste
-2-3 tablespoons of lime juice
-OPTIONAL- Add sour cream if you like creamy guacamole - I usually keep the SC separate though.
Gently mix all ingredients together until well blended

Load the tacos with shredded cheese (I usually use the “Mexican” four cheese blend from Costco), guacamole, sour cream, and top with favorite taco sauce. If you want to turn up the heat a little I have also been known to use shredded pepper-jack on occasion

ENJOY!

Posts: 10940 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Thanks Boss. I'm going to try this soon.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks Boss. I'm going to try this soon.

Jim

You know you did it right if the house smells like tacos for two days...

Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Make sure you pull the wood before serving.

Sometimes the jokes just write themselves...

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post