SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Nutless Newsome Just Figured Out How to Kill a Complete Employment Sector
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nutless Newsome Just Figured Out How to Kill a Complete Employment Sector Login/Join 
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted
Signed today and effective April 2024, fast food worker minimum wage will be $20/hr.

Hurray for the unskilled, uneducated worker.

Boo hiss on the evil, money grubbing, franchise owning millionaires.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14160 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Inflation...
But not if you also make bread?
Oh, and definitely not for healthcare workers...

The new minimum wage for fast food workers will apply to restaurants with at least 60 locations nationwide, with an exception for restaurants that make and sell their own bread, like Panera Bread.

Right now, California’s fast food workers earn an average of $16.60 per hour, or just over $34,000 per year, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. That’s below the California Poverty Measure for a family of four, a statistic calculated by the Public Policy Institute of California and the Stanford Center on Poverty and Equality that accounts for housing costs and publicly-funded benefits.

The new $20 minimum wage is just a starting point. The law creates a Fast Food Council that has the power to increase that wage each year through 2029 by 3.5% or the change in averages for the U.S. Consumer Price Index for urban wage earners and clerical workers, whichever is lower.

Now, the focus will shift to another group of low-wage California workers waiting for their own minimum wage increase. Lawmakers passed a separate bill earlier this month that would gradually raise the minimum wage for health care workers to $25 per hour over the next decade. That raise wouldn’t apply to doctors and nurses, but to most everyone else who works at hospitals, dialysis clinics or other health care facilities.

But unlike the fast food wage increase — which Newsom helped negotiate — the governor has not said if he would sign the raise for health care workers. The issue is complicated by the state’s Medicaid program, which is the main source of revenue for many hospitals. The Newsom administration has estimated the wage increase would cost the state billions of dollars in increased payments to health care providers.

https://apnews.com/article/cal...647149c37677446cea30

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24641 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
"Here's your Big Mac Sir. That will be $17.70."

Watch for more Macrobots in the very near future.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20395 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
These Leftist string pullers are so simple minded. The industry will compensate at the expense of the workers. This is why Leftists tend toward totalitarianism.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29909 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Cursorily curious - how much would average prices at an affected fast food business have to increase to be net zero to margins? Assume no change to volume.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13115 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
a family of four

Responsibility means if you want to have a family you probably can't make working at McDonalds your career choice. Unless you're a manager etc.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13499 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:

$17.70?

Must be a sale on Big Macs.

I expect half of the fast food franchises will be shuttered within nine months because eating fast food will become instantly unaffordable.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32055 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:

Watch for more Macrobots in the very near future.

RMD

It's almost that much now.

A few months ago I stopped at my local McDonald's for a soda (the fountain Coke from them is the best) and a medium Big Mac meal was $12! Eek

Posts: 34642 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I recently saw a gas station advertisement that was offering $22 per hour for midnight shift.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37195 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cursorily curious - how much would average prices at an affected fast food business have to increase to be net zero to margins? Assume no change to volume.

Fast food labor is usually 25-30% of total sales.

Average McDonald's sells $7K a day. To maintain that percentage their sales would need to be roughly 33% higher. Your $12 value meal is now $16.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15863 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
White Castle Fry Robot Flippy makes french frys.

Linky

Posts: 24341 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
This is what putting people out of work looks like. You think kiosk ordering is making inroads on fast food jobs now? Soon restaurants like that will be almost totally automated. Stupid. Just stupid.

Look what HRK posted just above me. ^^^^

Posts: 13599 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
As my Econ profs would comment, if $20 is good wouldn't $25 be better? Why stop there even, if there is no trade off?

Everyone's savings or close cash equivalents is becoming more worthless with each passing inflation movement.

Stupid govt moves like Minimum wage law and "punishing carbon fuel" are driving inflation ever higher.

Posts: 3535 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
And people will continue to buy fast food, no matter how much it costs.

Neighbor teen-age kid, who works a few hours part time at a grocery supermarket, which happens to be across the street, maybe a three minute walk, from a McDonald's, orders McDonald's delivered at home by UberEats or similar.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31451 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
I recently saw a gas station advertisement that was offering $22 per hour for midnight shift.

There are a lot of jobs that are hard to fill.

We have a bifurcated economy. There are "good jobs" which are well paid and highly competitive to get into.
And then we have jobs that need to be done, but no one wants them. The unskilled labor thinks they are better off not working. If they get enough government "benefits" why should they?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24641 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:

Fast food labor is usually 25-30% of total sales.

Average McDonald's sells $7K a day. To maintain that percentage their sales would need to be roughly 33% higher. Your $12 value meal is now $16.

Thanks. Maybe CFA won't be affected because they already pay well? But my $10 CFA breakfast meal may go up to $16-ish.... Hmmmm. I can go to a sit down place and get a 1/2 burger w/ fries for $14 (plus tipe). It's making sit down much more attractive unless quick is imperative.

Newscum has invested in these food service robots and automation perhaps? We know demoncrats don't really do things for the good of people; everything they do is self serving somehow, not for the good of people or the planet like they say (that's just the story for the idiot voters).

I wonder what Newscum is getting out of this.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13115 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
And people will continue to buy fast food, no matter how much it costs.

Neighbor teen-age kid, who works a few hours part time at a grocery supermarket, which happens to be across the street, maybe a three minute walk, from a McDonald's, orders McDonald's delivered at home by UberEats or similar.

Until mom and dad get a $300 mcuber bill a month, maybe they have the funds, my oldest granddaughter did that, wouldn't cook for herself, make a sandwich but $20 sushi brought by Uber was great, until mom said, yeah, no more.... LOL

Posts: 24341 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
What robotics companies can a person invest in?

Posts: 5760 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Fuck him, fuck California, fuck all of it. $20 an hour. I remember how hard I had to work to get my first $20 an hour job and it certainly wasn’t flipping burgers. Geez this society is fucked. My future home, no fast food joints. Mom and Pop food places, that’s it. I’m glad it’s quite easy for me to skip fast food slop.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12963 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
It is already causing me to change my habits. I work 12 hour shifts and I like to go off site for lunch to get away from the company for a few.

Fast food lunches are now costing me $16-$20 for a lunch and I am not willing to pay it. I have started to pack a lunch more often instead of going out. Last week I went to Arby's for lunch and aside from the $18 cost, i was the only customer in the restaurant the entire time I was there. I don't know what kind of drive thru business they do but i can’t see it being sustainable.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3904 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post