SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Nutless Newsome Just Figured Out How to Kill a Complete Employment Sector
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nutless Newsome Just Figured Out How to Kill a Complete Employment Sector Login/Join 
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
I think some might be missing the picture here on why many workers (fast food etc) are getting wage increase.

So the Democrates can earn-curry-favor their VOTES to keep Komifornia Democratic!

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1439 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
"Here's your Big Mac Sir. That will be $17.70."

$17.70?

Must be a sale on Big Macs.

I expect half of the fast food franchises will be shuttered within nine months because eating fast food will become instantly unaffordable.

Baking there own buns in the oven they are doing biscuits in

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5237 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Since when is it reasonable that a minimum wage fast food worker (basically someone with very limited marketable job skills) should be expected to support a family of four?
These are jobs that were done by high school and college students, part time and not meant to be a long term career.

Posts: 9833 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
To get out of paying your employees the new minimum wage, all you have to do is bribe the Governor.

https://apnews.com/article/cal...cb7a72eb2399910f0bdd

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — California Gov. Gavin Newsom’s administration has denied a news report that he pushed for an exception to the state’s new fast-food minimum wage law that benefits a wealthy campaign donor.

California’s minimum wage is $16 per hour. But starting April 1, most fast-food restaurants in the state must pay their workers at least $20 an hour under legislation Newsom signed last year to much fanfare. It doesn’t apply to restaurants that have on-site bakeries and sell bread as a stand-alone menu item.

That exception puzzled some industry watchers and was never fully explained by Newsom or other supporters of the law. But Bloomberg News on Wednesday reported it was connected to opposition from Panera Bread franchisee Greg Flynn, whose company owns 24 of the restaurants in California and has donated to Newsom’s campaigns.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34419 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another fact to consider - raising the minimum wage on these types of jobs benefits his union cronies.

Higher wages at a burger joint puts pressure on and competes with skilled labor, union jobs. Consequently, those union can demand and eventually receive pay increases. "Why should I do this difficult, skilled job for $22-25 an hour when I can flip burgers for $20-22 an hour?"

P229

Posts: 3952 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Automation and kiosks are going to be huge in California at fast food joints.

They’ll probably run them like an Aldi, they’ll have like three people in the whole entire place and the rest will all be self ordering and automated equipment.

Posts: 34642 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
And people will continue to buy fast food, no matter how much it costs.

Neighbor teen-age kid, who works a few hours part time at a grocery supermarket, which happens to be across the street, maybe a three minute walk, from a McDonald's, orders McDonald's delivered at home by UberEats or similar.

My wife has to go over peoples finances to see if they qualify to get out of paying their medical bills so of course they are going to show all of their expenses trying to get out of it.

I asked her what percentage of people are in financial trouble because of eating out. She said if she guessed 85% it would be too low.

Posts: 4010 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Since when is it reasonable that a minimum wage fast food worker (basically someone with very limited marketable job skills) should be expected to support a family of four?
These are jobs that were done by high school and college students, part time and not meant to be a long term career.

I worked in a pizzeria once, in the kitchen making them. But the bulk of my youth work (started working at 10) was newspaper throwing and selling subs door to door in the beginning. But I white lied on my resume for a job in the restaurant industry in junior high, stating I was 2 years older than I was. I had a social security number, etc, and never got busted. From junior high I probably worked 8-9 years in the restaurants. Dishwasher, busboy, host, head host, front house manager, and waiter. None of these jobs could support a family of 4 and nobody that I ever worked with expected as much. These were young people jobs to make a car payment, make the rent, etc. You weren’t buying a got damn house with the money. Most everyone had a roommate and either a 2bed or 3bedroom apartment, if they weren’t living at home. A few had single bedroom apt’s, but it was rare and they lived frugal and usually had mommy or daddy helping them with the bills some.

So this bullshit is out of hand. Nobody wants to bust ass and work their way up any longer.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12961 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
if people would just realize fast food is crap.

Not really applicable to the discussion.

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member of FPC, GOA, 2AF & Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2874 | Location: Tucson Sector | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
“Automation and kiosks are going to be huge in California at fast food joints.”

Newsome will try to pass legislation to minimize their use.

Posts: 805 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I haven't read the law, but I'm familiar enough with most of them to know that there are 100 different ways to skin that cat.

I've seen it reported that if you have an "on site bakery" and "sell bread as a stand alone menu item" you're exempt.

What's to stop McDonald's from setting a Habro EZ Bake Oven on the counter, "baking" some bread in it, and putting it on the menu for $1,000 a slice?

Total investment under $50.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15862 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:

California fast-food wage law is ALREADY cooking average Americans

The New York Post Editorial Board
March 26, 2024

California’s absurd (and corrupt) new fast-food minimum wage law is set to go into effect April 1, and the economic catastrophe has already begun.

Take Pizza Hut: The national stalwart has announced, in combination with local chain Round Table Pizza, a plan to cut nearly 1,300 delivery jobs in advance of the mandate to pay at least $20 per hour.

Would you like a side of unemployment with your Meat Lover’s Pizza?
Given the nature of the work, those affected are likely to be less educated and less affluent.

Pizza Hut and Round Table Pizza — a Menlo Park, Calif.-founded chain of 400 pizza parlors, mostly on the West Coast — have said they plan to lay off around 1,280 delivery drivers this year, according to documents obtained by the Wall Street Journal.

Southern California Pizza — which operates 224 Pizza Huts in the greater Los Angeles area — sent notices to staffers late last year informing them that their last day of work will be ahead of the April 1 minimum-wage hike.

And many are also sure to be kids looking to pick up some extra cash.
McDonald’s and Chipotle will be hiking prices to cover the new costs, piling pain on top of economic pain in the ugly world of Bidenflation — pain that will, again, be felt worst by average American consumers.
And please spare us the heavy breathing about socioeconomic justice.

This is a power play, pure and simple.

For proof, look no further than the sleazy carve-out in the law custom-made for Panera franchise billionaire Greg Flynn, a campaign donor and former biz partner of Gov. Gavin Newsom: a bizarre exception for restaurants that bake and serve bread as a standalone item — and did so before the law passed, which is basically only Paneras.

So Flynn dodges the chop while his competitors get sliced and diced — and low-end workers lose their jobs.
The ease with which basic arithmetic continues to elude progressive economic policymakers continues to amaze us.
Seattle just saw food delivery employment crater after a too-high minimum wage kicked in.

When you mandate higher costs for something, like labor, businesses must either spend less on it (i.e., shed jobs and freeze hiring) or raise prices to cover it — slamming consumers.

Until Newsom and his woke cadre wake up and smell the pizza, the little guy is going to continue to get burned.

Link

Posts: 34642 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
They'll probably hook up with Uber Eats for delivery services for all stores, eliminate payroll, insurance issues, hiring costs,

May even increase prices as every company did during the Bidenflation increases, and yield larger profits for doing it.

Posts: 24339 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Leave it up to a fucking dem to enact legislation that loses jobs and then blames business owners, people who are trying to make money, for trying to protect their businesses.

Posts: 13313 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Fast food chains have found a way to get around minimum wage hikes

Actions have consequences. The unions didn’t expect this, but we did.

“Fast food chains in California are replacing staff with digital order kiosks - as a way to cut costs after the minimum wage in the state was hiked to $20-an-hour.

After two years of price rises caused by higher costs for food, restaurant bosses say they cannot raise them again.

So they are looking at other ways to cut their overheads - and, with labor the biggest costs, having fewer staff is the easiest way.

It is cruel irony for workers and their unions that battled for years for higher wages - a move critics warned would lead to job losses. …”

DailyMail article:
https://mol.im/a/13341449

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9469 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is cruel irony for workers and their unions that battled for years for higher wages - a move critics warned would lead to job losses. …”

Will the digital order kiosks unionize?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24637 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't it be interesting if many fast food places all start to bake and serve bread as a standalone item so they are exempt.

Posts: 2379 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
^^^
quote:
For proof, look no further than the sleazy carve-out in the law custom-made for Panera franchise billionaire Greg Flynn, a campaign donor and former biz partner of Gov. Gavin Newsom: a bizarre exception for restaurants that bake and serve bread as a standalone item — and did so before the law passed, which is basically only Paneras.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24637 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Paneras in Ohio are being revamped with the new menu and kiosk ordering stations.

The one I go to, they let go of all their managers to save costs.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8171 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
They'll probably hook up with Uber Eats for delivery services for all stores, eliminate payroll, insurance issues, hiring costs,

Unless of course government manages to screw with that segment of system as well. Seattle put in place a substantial minimum wage hike for delivery service drivers. Naturally this increase isn't going to be simply absorbed by the employing services. It automatically gets passed on to the consumer. And lo and behold, even more naturally consumers have begun to have second thoughts about constantly ordering meals once it became clear just how much more expensive that tasty bowl of pho has become thanks to the infernal meddling of Seattle's infamous and inept City Council. So now the entire meal delivery business is significantly down, affecting income of the eateries who were already scraping by as it is. And Doordash, Uber Eats and other delivery service drivers who were supposed to benefit from this wage hike are now making LESS income because of the drop in meal orders that of course the stupid politicians never considered. That's the boneheaded ways of commie idealism.

-MG

Posts: 2226 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post