SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Trump Presidency : Year II
Page 1 ... 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 ... 308

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The Trump Presidency : Year II Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Mr. President!

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2183 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Report This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Report This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Does anyone remember what the last shutdown was about?
It was a Dem demand for DACA. No one cared.

So if 800,000 Federal employees are furloughed, what the hell did we need them for in the 1st place. Obama hired thousands and thousands to prop up his horrific unemployment figures.
I suggest, we start trimming the fat with this group.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8357 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Report This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
The real nightmare for so many bureaucrats in an extended shutdown is the realization of how many of them serve no purpose.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Report This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
Ron Swanson approves.

Posts: 2465 | Registered: January 01, 2004Report This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
TSA is part of those affected by the shutdown. I guess we’ll now see now how the gropers like being considered as “essential” but won’t get paid until the shutdown is over. Could be very interesting at the airports for a while. Eek

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2699 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Report This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
TSA is part of those affected by the shutdown. I guess we’ll now see now how the gropers like being considered as “essential” but won’t get paid until the shutdown is over. Could be very interesting at the airports for a while. Eek

Are they paid daily or something? Is there seriously anyone here who couldn't survive after missing one paycheck and knowing that you'll eventually get that money? If you can't make it two weeks on savings, I don't know what to tell you.

Besides that, there are always credit cards, and anything that you charge today won't come due for at least a few weeks.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Is Mueller essential?

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Report This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I haven't heard/seen much talk of this on here...I was in the crew room the other day and the TV was tuned to Fox News (in LAX of all places!). They were talking about border security and there was a blurb on there about President Trump sending something like $10B to Central America to help take out corruption or some such BS to coerce that populace from leaving their country?? I haven't heard it mentioned anymore...does anyone know what that crap was about??

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Report This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
If these "nonessential" governmental employee's are indeed "nonessential", why are they employed in the first place?

Posts: 13681 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
I haven't heard/seen much talk of this on here...I was in the crew room the other day and the TV was tuned to Fox News (in LAX of all places!). They were talking about border security and there was a blurb on there about President Trump sending something like $10B to Central America to help take out corruption or some such BS to coerce that populace from leaving their country?? I haven't heard it mentioned anymore...does anyone know what that crap was about??

I think I heard the same such nonsense. I did find this via google.

“In 2018, the U.S. government will give Mexico $87,660,000 in foreign aid. The largest segment, 56 percent, will go toward peace and security. The second largest segment will go toward democracy, human rights and governance.”

https://www.reference.com/gove...ico-d1238a7e5dd87a09

I don’t see the problem being solved because those on the receiving end of this money won’t want to see it go away. Crazy.

Posts: 3954 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Report This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
“My support for President Trump’s decisions to bring American forces out of Syria now and soon Afghanistan is informed not only by my experiences since 9/11, but also four decades of military and civilian experience planning and executing national security policy. I have studied national security matters under retired US Marine Lt General Mick Trainor at Harvard, and many other great thinkers at the U.S. College of Naval Warfare.

Unlike the bipartisan foreign policy swamp, which has been consistently proven wrong about nearly every major military decision of the last decade, President Trump has overseen a clear, steady and realist foreign policy, focused on putting America First. From re-building America’s military, destroying ISIS, ending the Iran deal, de-escalating tensions with North Korea, he has consistently proven the naysayers in the foreign policy swamp wrong…”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/w...-right-on-syria/amp/

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8957 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
If these "nonessential" governmental employee's are indeed "nonessential", why are they employed in the first place?

Well, for the Navy about 1800 civilians in NAVAIR get furloughed. This has a ripple effect that impacts government contractors for Naval weapon systems contracts to some extent, but I’m not positive on the full extent of the impact. Some people may consider that a good thing though.

This will impact navy research groups. So lots of scientists and engineers get work stops, including at government contractors.

Some of the non-essential people are less non-essential than others.

Posts: 3954 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Report This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
^^^ As I understand it, the military has already been funded and will not be effected by this shutdown.

I assume civilian workers are funded under the defense budget. Could be wrong on that though.

Posts: 20103 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
As I'm perusing the board, Fox News is playing in the background with a parade of idiots yakking about the shutdown, how they are in favor of border security but not a wall (Chucky S.), and "Oh, the poor Kurds!". Screw it. Don't just shut it down; burn it down. I'm just amazed and thankful that the President is making decisions I agree with and is standing strong.

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mesabi:
"Oh, the poor Kurds!". Screw it.

The day may come when we need the Kurds again, and with our history of royally fucking them over (starting with GHWB who left them to be slaughtered), I'm not so sure they'll be there when needed.

I thought I read above somewhere where The Donald has made arrangements for the Saudis to take on the role of working with/protecting them. I hope that's the case. They've been good friends to us and need to be treated as such.

Posts: 20103 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Report This Post
Picture of nojoy
posted Hide Post
Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer addressed President Donald Trump while speaking on the Senate floor Saturday, saying, "President Trump, if you want to open the government, you must abandon the wall – plain and simple.”

This guy is really something. Looks like the partial Government shutdown is going to last a while.....

Posts: 1292 | Location: Marysville, WA 98271 | Registered: March 18, 2004Report This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mesabi:
As I'm perusing the board, Fox News is playing in the background with a parade of idiots yakking about the shutdown, how they are in favor of border security but not a wall (Chucky S.)...

And who said leftist snowflake, Art Appreciation majors can't find employment?

Posts: 8623 | Registered: September 26, 2013Report This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nojoy:
Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer addressed President Donald Trump while speaking on the Senate floor Saturday, saying, "President Trump, if you want to open the government, you must abandon the wall – plain and simple.”
This guy is really something. Looks like the partial Government shutdown is going to last a while.....

The senate is the only impediment to the wall. Schumer does not control the Senate. McConnell could solve the problem ... if he wanted to.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Report This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
The senate is the only impediment to the wall. Schumer does not control the Senate. McConnell could solve the problem ... if he wanted to.

I predict that the spine McConnell mysteriously discovered during the Kavanaugh hearings will be absent when this bill hits the Senate. I hope I am wrong.

Posts: 8623 | Registered: September 26, 2013Report This Post