SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Trump Presidency : Year II
Page 1 ... 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 ... 308

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The Trump Presidency : Year II Login/Join 
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
Give em hell Mr President!!!

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3451 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Report This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
President Trump told House Republican leaders Thursday he will not sign a Senate-passed spending package that does not include sought-after border security funds, upending negotiations to avert a government shutdown by the end of the week.

House Speaker Paul Ryan, R-Wis., and House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., told reporters after meeting the president at the White House that Trump told them he will not sign the stopgap spending measure approved by the Senate Wednesday night because of “legitimate concerns for border security.”

https://www.foxnews.com/politi...hout-border-security

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Report This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Rush was reporting the problem is that there may not be enough votes in the House to pass the bill since many R lost seats they left town for whatever reason, housing was one of those given.

So it might be moot, may not have the votes in congress to do the bill.

The problem with shutting it down is that we may give Pukeloski even more power when she takes control of congress after the first of the year in negotiating an agreement

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Report This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:
President Trump told House Republican leaders Thursday he will not sign a Senate-passed spending package that does not include sought-after border security funds, upending negotiations to avert a government shutdown by the end of the week.

Hold your ground, Mr. President.
Shut 'er down if that's what it takes.
Make your stand.

Posts: 1782 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Report This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
So it might be moot, may not have the votes in congress to do the bill.

The problem with shutting it down is that we may give Pukeloski even more power when she takes control of congress after the first of the year in negotiating an agreement

I understand your concern: I don't want to give Pelosi more power either.
But that doesn't mean preemptive surrender, either... which is what signing this CR would be.
Also, Democrats are the party of government.
I really don't care if they shut it down (which is a misnomer anyway because 85% of government spending has already been voted on for 2019 anyway).

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Acting Attorney General Matt Whitaker will not recuse himself from overseeing the Russia probe, despite mounting pressure from Democrats who cite his “hostility” toward Special Counsel Robert Mueller and his investigation./snip

I want someone hostile to Mueller and his band of pirates so this is a win.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mod29:
quote:

Hold your ground, Mr. President.
Shut 'er down if that's what it takes.
Make your stand.

Now I'm reading where the House has added $5B for the wall.

Rep. Steve Scalise Confirms House GOP Will Now Add $5 Billion in Funding For Border Security

quote:
House Majority Whip Steve Scalise (R-LA) confirmed Thursday that the House will add $5 billion in funding for border security plus additional money for disaster relief to the current interim bill after President Trump refused to sign the bill that came from the Senate last night.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Report This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
How does the brain trust here feel about Trump deciding to pull out the troops in Syria?

Myself, I'm concerned about the decision, simply because the generals on the ground are saying that it's a bad move and Putin and Iran like it.

Admittedly I'm not privy to the intel on the ground so my worry's are only based on my gut. Won't we be throwing the Kurds under the bus? They've been fighting the same enemy's that we have for years.

What do the brainiacs here think?

Jim

We're killing people that need killing. The fewer we kill today, the more we'll need to kill tomorrow. Don't put off till tomorrow, what you can do today.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Report This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
As usual, Andy McCarthy has an excellent column on Bill Barr, nominated to be AG. His memo re the Mueller investigation is being raised by Dems as disqualifying. It would appear the opposite is true.

quote:
The Barr Memo Is a Commendable Piece of Lawyering
Andrew C. McCarthy December 20, 2018 7:58 AM

Special Counsel Robert Mueller departs after briefing members of the U.S. Senate on his investigation into potential collusion between Russia and the Trump campaign on Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C., June 21, 2017. (Joshua Roberts/REUTERS)
Trump’s attorney-general nominee would help Mueller conclude his work within DOJ guidelines.
It is exactly what we need and should want in an attorney general of the United States: the ability to reason through complex legal questions in a rigorously academic way. Not to bloviate from the cheap seats, but to think these issues through the way a properly functioning Justice Department does: considering them against jurisprudence, statutes, rules, regulations, and Office of Legal Counsel (OLC) opinions, with a healthy respect for facts that we do not know or about which we could be wrong — facts that could alter the analysis.

That is precisely what Bill Barr did in June, when he penned an unsolicited memorandum to top Justice Department officials on a matter of immense national significance: the obstruction aspect of Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation of President Trump.

[UPDATE: The New York Times has published the memo here.]

Barr, whom President Trump has nominated to be the next attorney general, was not prejudging the facts. He was addressing the law and Justice Department policy. With great persuasive force, the 19-page memo posits two contentions. First, based on what is publicly known, the special counsel’s theory of obstruction is legally flawed. Second, if a Justice Department investigation is going to be used to take down a democratically elected president, the social cohesion of our body politic demands that it be over a clear, very serious crime, not a novel and aggressive theory of prosecution.

Readers of these columns will not be surprised to learn that I agree emphatically with the first point. As for the second point, I can’t fathom a meritorious disagreement with it.

But that is beside the point. What matters is that it was entirely proper for Barr to weigh in on these questions in the thoughtful manner he chose. As a former attorney general, he directed his views to Rod Rosenstein and Steve Engel, respectively the deputy attorney general and the head of the OLC, the lawyers’ lawyers at the Justice Department. Barr was not only attorney general in the Bush 41 administration; he also served in the weighty positions that Rosenstein and Engel now occupy. He is intimately familiar with the difficult decisions they have to make and the Justice Department guidelines and processes that are in place to guide decision-making.

Barr wrote not as an advocate representing someone in the investigation, but as a former high-ranking government official concerned about the institutions of the executive branch, particularly the Justice Department. Special Counsel Mueller’s apparent obstruction theory may have been conceived with the specific facts of President Trump’s situation in mind — Trump’s expression of hope that the FBI would drop any investigation of Michael Flynn, his decision to fire FBI director James Comey. But while a prosecutor may believe his application of a legal principle is narrow, once that application becomes a precedent, only the limits of logic curtail its further, potentially paralyzing extension.

As Barr elaborates, if a president may be prosecuted for obstruction based on carrying out the executive’s constitutional prerogatives — exercises of prosecutorial discretion, giving direction to the course of an investigation, making personnel and management decisions — then every other official in the Justice Department is similarly vulnerable. The apprehension that proper and necessary acts could be construed as improperly motivated, and therefore as actionable obstruction, would profoundly undermine the administration of justice.

The suggestion that there was something untoward about Barr’s submission is absurd. This, no doubt, is why the ethics analysts at the Justice Department concluded that the memo raises no issues of disqualification or recusal in connection with Barr’s nomination to be attorney general. These are the same career lawyers who advised former attorney general Jeff Sessions to recuse himself from the Russia investigation that Mueller is now conducting, much to the president’s chagrin and the applause of his critics.

The difference is patent. While I did not agree with the timing and scope of Sessions’s recusal, the problem was that he was an actor in the transactions under investigation, having both (a) been a key member of the Trump campaign (which is under scrutiny for potential coordination in Russia’s election-meddling) and (b) held meetings with the Russian ambassador.

Barr, by contrast, had no involvement in the transactions Mueller is probing — neither suspected (but unproven) “collusion” between the Trump campaign and the Kremlin nor purported “obstruction.” He is merely a commentator, albeit an influential and extraordinarily careful one, who opined on a legal issue of great public interest. On that score, note that Barr took pains to caveat that many facts of Mueller’s investigation are unknown to him and the rest of the public. Barr’s legal and policy views were based on publicly reported information; if it turns out that Mueller is in possession of new facts that would alter Barr’s assessment, then his assessment would be altered accordingly.

Indeed, Democrats and Trump critics should be encouraged by Barr’s analysis. Put aside that they should be impressed by its high quality. Barr is very far from saying that a president may never be prosecuted for obstruction. Invoking the Nixon and Clinton precedents as support, he asserts that

if a President knowingly destroys or alters evidence, suborns perjury, or induces a witness to change testimony, or commits any act deliberately impairing the integrity or availability of evidence, then he, like anyone else, commits the crime of obstruction.

Barr could not be more clear that enforcing the obstruction laws would not impair the chief executive’s “plenary power over law enforcement” because presidential discretion does not include the commission of “inherently wrongful, subversive acts.” Again, the president is not above the law.

Instead, Barr’s argument is narrow. Mueller appears to be relying on Section 1512 of the federal penal code, an obstruction statute that contains a “catch-all” provision (subsection (c)(2)). This provision targets anyone who “otherwise obstructs, influences, or impedes any official proceeding, or attempts to do so.” (Emphasis in Barr’s memo, not in the statute.) Barr’s point is that, to avoid constitutional problems (e.g., vagueness, infringement on Article II authorities), “otherwise” must be read to refer to the types of innately obstructive acts that precede it (in subsection (c)(1)) — “alters, destroys, mutilates, or conceals a record, document, or other object, or attempts to do so, with the intent to impair the object’s integrity or availability for use in an official proceeding.”

That is, Congress’s objective in enacting this obstruction statute was to protect official proceedings from actions that could corruptly compromise the honesty of decision-makers, or render evidence either unavailable or tainted. To “otherwise obstruct, influence, or impede” must involve similar, inherently corrupt action. The statute must not be extended to just any conduct that potentially affects a proceeding, because that would implicate perfectly lawful conduct that executive officials (including the president) routinely engage in — and must be able to engage in if justice is to be administered efficiently.

This is not just sensible, it is elucidated by the legislative history. As Barr recounts, the provision in question was enacted as part of the 2002 Sarbanes-Oxley Act in order to close a loophole in obstruction law exposed by the Enron scandal. The existing provision appeared to cover document destruction only if person A induced person B to do it, not if A carried it out directly. The amendment was designed to reinforce federal obstruction law’s focus on insidious acts that tamper with evidence or witnesses. The president’s powers to, for example, pardon, dismiss and replace subordinates, and guide law enforcement, do not fit that bill, even if they may have substantial impacts on official proceedings.

Of course, as we have noted many times, this interpretation does not place the president above the law; it applies law as it exists to the president. Moreover, Barr is speaking here only of the criminal law. If the president abuses his power — including his pardon power, his power to dismiss executive officers, and his power to guide executive law-enforcement agencies — he may be impeached by Congress. To be impeachable, an abuse of power need not be a violation of the penal code.

Finally, the fact that former attorney general Barr, as a private citizen, rendered opinions in the public debate on an issue of importance does not remotely compromise his capacity to oversee the Justice Department — all of it — with integrity.

In 2007, Senate Democrats demanded of President Bush’s nominee (and later, attorney general) Michael Mukasey that he pronounce waterboarding to be torture — notwithstanding that Mukasey was not “read into” the details of the CIA’s program, which had been carried out under Justice Department guidance. It was apparently irrelevant that this would be tantamount to Mukasey’s rendering an ultimate opinion on a matter under Justice Department investigation, and as to which Mukasey was in the dark about salient facts. By contrast, when President Obama’s nominee, Eric Holder, was only too happy to make the pronouncement Mukasey would not, no one suggested that his premature rendering of an ultimate opinion disqualified him from objectively overseeing the Justice Department’s investigation of interrogation tactics. (A cynic might deduce that the problem is not prejudging issues . . . as long as one prejudges them in a manner that Democrats find agreeable.)

In this regard, Barr’s memo is akin to the middle position. Like Holder, he has rendered an opinion based on the reported facts. But like Mukasey, he concedes he is unaware of the totality of facts known to the investigators, and thus is not in a position to make a final judgment. Within those parameters, Barr’s memo implicitly acknowledged that Mueller is conducting a legitimate Justice Department investigation, and that the probe’s findings on “collusion” — Mueller’s inquiry into which he does not question — would be critical to the question whether there could be a cognizable obstruction offense. And again, Barr has no doubt that any president could be cited for obstruction based on tampering with evidence or witnesses.

The Barr memo is meticulously reasoned and powerfully stated, with a purpose to promote the administration of justice and the Justice Department’s venerable principles of statutory interpretation. Far from threatening the Mueller investigation, it strongly suggests Barr would encourage the special counsel to conform his work to the Justice Department’s conscientious standards — as the attorney general is supposed to do for the work of all federal prosecutors. While Trump foes will shriek (it is their default setting, after all), Americans should be pleased that the president has nominated a lawyer capable of writing such a memo.

Link

Posts: 18069 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Report This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Shut this motherf*cker down, do NOT give the Democrats one damn inch, Mr. President! Punting this to February gives the Dems a Christmas AND Valentine's Day gift, then they will turn around and say "NOPE" once they are in power.

People need to understand, the Dems will NEVER approve a wall of any sort because they NEED that flow of undocumented Democrats to keep coming! Mad

From Zero Hedge:

Trump Will Veto Any Bill Without $5 Billion For Wall

Posts: 33815 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Report This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
My entire retirement income comes from the federal government but I say "Shut it down".
Mine, too (military pension and SS) but I do have fallback savings/investments that could tide me over.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Report This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
How does the brain trust here feel about Trump deciding to pull out the troops in Syria?

Myself, I'm concerned about the decision, simply because the generals on the ground are saying that it's a bad move and Putin and Iran like it.

Admittedly I'm not privy to the intel on the ground so my worry's are only based on my gut. Won't we be throwing the Kurds under the bus? They've been fighting the same enemy's that we have for years.

What do the brainiacs here think?

Jim

We're killing people that need killing. The fewer we kill today, the more we'll need to kill tomorrow. Don't put off till tomorrow, what you can do today.
By that logic, we'll be there forever.

If he has consulted with the military about options, I'm fine with pulling out. Fuck Syria, we were there for ISIS, let someone else clean up the fracking mess it is.

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roberth:
quote:
Acting Attorney General Matt Whitaker will not recuse himself from overseeing the Russia probe, despite mounting pressure from Democrats who cite his “hostility” toward Special Counsel Robert Mueller and his investigation./snip

I want someone hostile to Mueller and his band of pirates so this is a win.

Mt. Whitaker’s refusal to recuse himself is certainly a correct decision. I’m hopeful that he and Barr will help Mueller decide to terminate his witch hunt. Millions spent, but no collusion found.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8959 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Report This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Im completely fine with leaving Syria. We have already said there will be no regime change. That means Assad and the Russians aren't going anywhere. Lay some hurt on ISIS and leave. And those idiots saying it's worse than when Obama pulled out if Iraq don't have any idea what they are talkin about. No comparison.

Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
It has always been unwise to remove Assad.
Power vacuums are a bad thing.
We'd end up with someone much worse.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31425 | Registered: February 20, 2000Report This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Just announced via Trump Tweet that General Mattis is stepping down in February.

A link to his letter of resignation. This Syria move pushed him over the edge.

https://apps.npr.org/documents...etary-James-N-Mattis

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12335 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Report This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Just announced via Trump Tweet that General Mattis is stepping down in February.

A link to his letter of resignation. This Syria move pushed him over the edge.

https://apps.npr.org/documents...etary-James-N-Mattis

I'm gonna take my ball and go home is not a good strategy, IMO.

Posts: 22910 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Report This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
The resignation letter was a bit of a dick move...but Mattis is certainly not known for his delicacy.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I was initially upset at the Syria pullout. However, it is way different than Iraq. We overthrew Saddam and took over the place. Iraq was unable to stand on its own and we left a huge power-vacuum filled by ISIS. Then the O admin downplayed ISIS and ignored them while they grew totally out of control.

Trump's admin has hammered ISIS back into a shell of its former glory (gory?) I won't say "defeat" as they (or a spin-off) group will always be around like "whack-a-mole" starting trouble.

Regarding Syria, it is a sovereign nation with Assad still in charge, backed by Russia and a civil war going on. If ISIS were never in Syria...would we have gotten involved in their civil war at all? I think the answer is no. So, if we have largely defeated ISIS in Syria, why would we stay if we wouldn't have been there in the 1st place were it not for ISIS?

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
General Mattis served the President well even when leaving- "“Because you have a right to a Secretary of Defense whose views are better aligned with yours” Mattis said in his resignation letter, released by the Pentagon.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13401 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Report This Post