SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Trump Presidency : Year II
Page 1 ... 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 ... 308

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The Trump Presidency : Year II Login/Join 
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Do share those things

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Report This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Re: “Another source close to Bolton said it was premature to be talking about personnel changes.”

Especially, since Mr. Bolton hasn’t yet been confirmed. I hope that he is, but a couple of RINOs in the Senate could screw us.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8958 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Report This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Re: “Another source close to Bolton said it was premature to be talking about personnel changes.”

Especially, since Mr. Bolton hasn’t yet been confirmed. I hope that he is, but a couple of RINOs in the Senate could screw us.

No confirmation needed for National Security Advisor.

Posts: 5200 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
http://video.foxbusiness.com/v...6001/?#sp=show-clips

Deficit spending is the glue holding together Democrats, GOP: Rep. Gaetz

Mar. 21, 2018 - 6:06 - Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.) discusses the $1.3 trillion spending bill being pushed by Congress to avoid a government shutdown.

Lou Dobbs got it right! Big Grin

How do we get rid of Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell? Many in Congress are complaining about the way the two of them worked with schummer and Pelosi to cram this bill down everyone’s throat; what can they do to get them out of their leadership roles - assuming they have them after their respective elections?

Posts: 3954 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Report This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shifferbrains:
quote:

Yep. Word is (and has been) that Bolton would not be approved by the Senate for any high-level job. (Filibusters)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Report This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
Mar. 21, 2018 - 6:06 - Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.) discusses the $1.3 trillion spending bill being pushed by Congress to avoid a government shutdown.

When you are in a car hurtling towards a cliff, shutting it down isn't such a bad idea.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
When you are in a car hurtling towards a cliff, shutting it down isn't such a bad idea.
Yeah, because it's just that simple, right? No other considerations involved.

I'm really looking forward to some more of this expert political commentary. Based upon the comments I'm seeing from some of you, it's clear that you have considered this issue in depth. There's nothing superficial or oversimplified in these comments.

And thank God that you guys are ignoring the ramifications of President Trump's veto being wielded like an ax by the dems in November. It's utter nonsense to consider the consequences of such a thing, nor anything beyond "We can't afford this and the President should have vetoed it."

It's all so very simple, isn't it?

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107604 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your clear-thinking perspective, Para. Sure helps to stabilize our thoughts and keep the big picture in view.

You've got to know what to do when you don't know what to do.

Posts: 364 | Location: SML-VA | Registered: November 29, 2013Report This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimineer:

How do we get rid of Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell? Many in Congress are complaining about the way the two of them worked with schummer and Pelosi to cram this bill down everyone’s throat; what can they do to get them out of their leadership roles - assuming they have them after their respective elections?

Cram down their throats? That’s the job of leadership, to get them to do what is needed even if they don’t like it.

Be serious for a moment.

1. There has to be a spending bill, eventually. Government shutdown is tolerable, briefly, but eventually there has to be a bill passed and signed by the President, no choice.

2. No spending is approved unless and until there is a bill. The employees expect they will be paid even though they do not work during the interim, always have been, suppliers of critical material, jet fuel, provisions on ships, landing fees, air force base golf course maintenance and other ongoing defense activities, utilities to government facilities, health care at VA, ongoing expenses must be paid for, etc.

3. Every dime of current spending has a constituency which receives that dime, and all those dimes have lobbiests. In addition, quite a few dimes which are not now in the budget have proponents too. Every Congressman is under enormous pressure to favor some of these dimes.

4. The trick seems to be to put all 535 of them in this crucible of intense pressure, and hope some diamonds survive. It is “Let’s Make A Deal” on speed.

5. Some items you can’t vote against and hope to get any votes next election. Some of those items are national, some are regional, some are local to your district. They used to do this with set asides, but those were outlawed, so we have this. “You can have my vote if, and only if, these things are included, and these things are not included. I’ll vote for some things I don’t like but I must have these or no deal.”

6. They build a giant model on a spreadsheet with each member’s bottom lines, and when they find a combination that will get the right number of votes, and the President will sign, that’s the budget. It doesn’t matter whether anyone really likes it, it only matters if a majority will hold their noses long enough to vote for a particular combination.

7. The job of leadership is to find that combination. By the time they do, time is up, and no more wheeling and dealing. The bill that is sent to the President is one he has little choice but to sign, so far. Trump signaled he won’t do it again. We’ll see. He has 6 months to manipulate public opinion in preparation for a nasty fight, likely shut down, right before the elections.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
So I am reading this omni bus stuff was not a budget but a bill. The funds appropriated for example 80 billion for defense has no discretion where funds need to be spent. So all the talk about protecting the country amd defnense. Couldnt trump use the 80B to have the army corps of engineers to build the wall?

So goes the rumor I heard on twitter anyway.

I wish. I think omnibus simply refers to bundling the 12 appropriations bills (budgets) into one massive suck.

I’m hoping DJT spends as he wants, and tells congress to pound sand.

Thats what you know did as it was passed the same way. Also why the donald brought up how obama signed it unwillingly.

You been seeing the pdf phrase searches inside the bill?

Written to fund tribunal, also kills internet surveillance? Search the bill for tribunal and internet.

wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Gen Mattis new policy of transgenders in military

memo:

http://militarypartners.org/wp...y-implementation.pdf

from the memo:

article:

http://www.breitbart.com/2018-...ransgender-ideology/

President Donald Trump’s Pentagon chief is reversing the pro-transgender policy set by former President Barack Obama and will reject soldiers or recruits who demand to be classified as members of the other sex.

Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
Divide and conquer...
Perhaps the reason the anti's are smiling?

Wonder if they're counting on us shooting our wounded?
It's painful to carry them, but I will
As I reload..

________,_____________________________
Guns don't kill people - Alec Baldwin kills people.

Posts: 1308 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Report This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
Remember Her ? Think before you speak about Trumps supposed failings. Think about what could happen if we let distractions take our eyes from the goal. Gear up for the upcoming elections to make the road a little less bumpy for our President. So he can do what he promised us he would do.

Posts: 4411 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Report This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
That photo of Hillary is worth a thousand words, and it is what every Trump voter needs to remember: THAT is the alternative. Hillary, Pelosi, Schumer and the mass of Democrats are totalitarians just waiting their chance to get back in complete power.

Is that spending bill what Trump himself would have put together if he were the sole author? Everybody knows the answer is not in a million years. He took one on the chin in order to rebuild the military that Obama half-destroyed.

The mid-terms will be critical, and we need to keep our eyes on who we know the Democrats to be, and what will happen to us-- to our country-- if they become the majority party. It is hard to exaggerate.

If you are on social media, post something positive, supporting, and encouraging about President Trump today. Loyalty means you are not a fair weather friend. Support him now, when he really needs it.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11108 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:
Originally posted by Jimineer:

Cram down their throats? That’s the job of leadership, to get them to do what is needed even if they don’t like it.

Be serious for a moment.

1. There has to be a spending bill, eventually. Government shutdown is tolerable, briefly, but eventually there has to be a bill passed and signed by the President, no choice.

2. No spending is approved unless and until there is a bill. The employees expect they will be paid even though they do not work during the interim, always have been, suppliers of critical material, jet fuel, provisions on ships, landing fees, air force base golf course maintenance and other ongoing defense activities, utilities to government facilities, health care at VA, ongoing expenses must be paid for, etc.

3. Every dime of current spending has a constituency which receives that dime, and all those dimes have lobbiests. In addition, quite a few dimes which are not now in the budget have proponents too. Every Congressman is under enormous pressure to favor some of these dimes.

4. The trick seems to be to put all 535 of them in this crucible of intense pressure, and hope some diamonds survive. It is “Let’s Make A Deal” on speed.

5. Some items you can’t vote against and hope to get any votes next election. Some of those items are national, some are regional, some are local to your district. They used to do this with set asides, but those were outlawed, so we have this. “You can have my vote if, and only if, these things are included, and these things are not included. I’ll vote for some things I don’t like but I must have these or no deal.”

6. They build a giant model on a spreadsheet with each member’s bottom lines, and when they find a combination that will get the right number of votes, and the President will sign, that’s the budget. It doesn’t matter whether anyone really likes it, it only matters if a majority will hold their noses long enough to vote for a particular combination.

7. The job of leadership is to find that combination. By the time they do, time is up, and no more wheeling and dealing. The bill that is sent to the President is one he has little choice but to sign, so far. Trump signaled he won’t do it again. We’ll see. He has 6 months to manipulate public opinion in preparation for a nasty fight, likely shut down, right before the elections.

I really hate you sometimes. Smile. I’ll think of a counter argument soon, yep, real soon. Smile
I may have to wait until the democrats are in the majority again to see if they play by the same rules in the future. I’m not especially confident in that.

Posts: 3954 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw on Fox this morning that DJT was going to veto the ball until he had lunch with Mattis. I have to think that he was given info so compelling that he felt he had no choice.

I also wonder if he will endorse Ryan the next time around. Ryan and Mcconnel have stabbed him in the back on more than one occasion.

Jim

Posts: 1341 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Report This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shifferbrains:
quote:

Ah, so. Thanks for the correction. Here’s what mislead me:

“WASHINGTON — The Senate has voted 86-10 to let Army Lt. Gen. H.R. McMaster keep his rank as national security adviser to President Trump.

The Senate did not have to confirm McMaster to lead the White House's National Security Council, but the law requires the Senate to confirm three- and four-star generals when they change jobs. …”

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8958 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Trump has John Bolton. Hillary Clinton would have appointed Michael Bolton.

Posts: 107604 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Trump has John Bolton. Hillary Clinton would have appointed Michael Bolton.

Old enough to remember him
Oh, the horror...

________,_____________________________
Guns don't kill people - Alec Baldwin kills people.

Posts: 1308 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Report This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post