SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Baltimore prepares for protests (Freddie Gray case) Update: 4th Circuit Appeals blocks suit vs Mosby
Page 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... 51
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Baltimore prepares for protests (Freddie Gray case) Update: 4th Circuit Appeals blocks suit vs Mosby Login/Join 
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
MMMM lovin it Mr. Monkey. You deliver.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12781 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking they knew they didn't have a case and proceeded anyway to placate the citizens. "We tried".

Posts: 7020 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
Now here is some real bullshit....

I read an interesting quote last night that may fit here. Summarizing Dostoevsky in Brothers Karamazov, People lie to themselves, and believe their lies, to pump up their own egos and bolster their sagging pride. Such people lose the ability to see truth, and gain disrespect and enmity for the world.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
I'm thinking they knew they didn't have a case and proceeded anyway to placate the citizens. "We tried".

That is exactly what Holder wanted in the Ferguson case, he wanted a trial for Darren Wilson even if the facts and evidence did not support it. Holder put more FBI agents and DOJ attorneys to try to bring civil rights violation charges on Darren Wilson then he had investigating suspected terrorists and their links.

Posts: 3937 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:

Nope these are true believers. They believed they were right and that the judges or jurors would just fall in line to fix decades of social wrong doing.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
The trial schedule is:

Lt Rice 5 July

Ofc Miller 27 July

Ofc Porter 6 Sept

Sgt White 13 Oct

Because Miller and Porter testified in other trials, a new set of prosecutors will handle their cases.

Hopefully some adult will step in and stop this farce.

Ofc Goodson was w/o pay since Mosby made the charges over a year ago. I wonder if he will get back pay ?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sdy,

Posts: 19580 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Have we not riots?

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107616 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
BBQ Sauce for Everyone!
Picture of TKO
posted Hide Post
Apparently not... Reckon the "community" could give a shit less.

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

Posts: 8121 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TKO:
Apparently not... Reckon the "community" could give a shit less.

I'm wondering if the "community" doesn't feel slighted that they didn't see a dime of the 6+ million dollar payout; you know, a city wide block party wid ho's, weed, and drank.

Also, Rawlings-Blake hasn't given them the green light yet.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15589 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yes, the judge is black, as are the prosecutors and the mayor, so we cannot have racism and therefore, we cannot have a whiot.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107616 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There were about 25 dumb ass protesters that the media kept filming the day of the verdict. More media than "protesters."

I told a few BLM folks on twitter that if they wanted to see justice, here it is.... http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/...ooting-during-riots/

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Yes, the judge is black, as are the prosecutors and the mayor, so we cannot have racism and therefore, we cannot have a whiot.

Fear not. A search on twitter will yield thousands of the BLM folk that talk about racism in this decision. When challenged they will retort - it's magical fairy land racism AKA "institutional racism" that is allowing these officers to get acquitted. The fact that there is absolutely no evidence of a crime is not important.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AirmanJeff:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

Fear not. A search on twitter will yield thousands of the BLM folk that talk about racism in this decision. When challenged they will retort - it's magical fairy land racism AKA "institutional racism" that is allowing these officers to get acquitted. The fact that there is absolutely no evidence of a crime is not important.

This is very consistent with the Dostoevsky stmt I stumbled on. People lie to themselves, and come to believe their lies, to prop up their own egos, to the point there they can no longer recognize truth, and no longer care about truth.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
This is very consistent with the Dostoevsky stmt I stumbled on. People lie to themselves, and come to believe their lies, to prop up their own egos, to the point there they can no longer recognize truth, and no longer care about truth.

Not to get off topic, but I was talking to my friend about this the other day and how it relates to Hillary. I think she truly believes she has done nothing wrong and has convinced herself of such.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
There are indeed many who do not recognize the truth, or care about the truth.

There are others who understand that they can make a good living by feeding and enabling the lies. Look at the lawyer Billy Murphy. He is getting very wealthy off of the Gray case. Mosby tried to use it to boost herself. Actually, although it is unfortunate, Mosby has received a number of awards over the past year and has been widely hailed as a courageous prosecutor.

This cuts to the difference between black/white relations of today as compared to the 1960’s.

Fifty years ago, most people (black and white) saw injustice and discrimination. There was a common push for change. But now in 2016, black leaders / BLM / etc distort every incident into a theme that white people routinely oppress people of color. The examples that are often used (such as Trayvon Martin, Michael Brown, Freddie Gray) are obvious phony fabrications to anyone who is willing to think objectively. So today we do not have that “common push”.

Every time the victimhood enablers try to distort another incident, their credibility drops lower. And blacks feel more oppressed, while whites become more convinced that the modern civil rights movement is now a profession but not a cause.

The only way to make things better is for a critical mass of whites and blacks to deal openly with reality and truth. I don’t know how we get there.

wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
http://www.baltimoresun.com/ne...-20160625-story.html

The lead Baltimore police detective in the Freddie Gray investigation said she reluctantly read to grand jurors a summary of evidence provided by prosecutors that she believed was misleading, according to police records reviewed by The Baltimore Sun.

Detective Dawnyell Taylor said in a daily log of case notes on the investigation that a prosecutor handed her a four-page, typed narrative at the courthouse just before she appeared before the grand jury.

"As I read over the narrative it had several things that I found to be inconsistent with our investigation," Taylor wrote, adding: "I thought the statements in the narrative were misquoted."

But, she wrote, she was "conflicted" about challenging the state's attorney on the narrative in the courtroom. "With great conflict I was sworn in and read the narrative provided," she said in her notes.

When the jurors asked questions, including whether Gray's arrest was legal, Taylor wrote that prosecutors intervened before she could give an answer that would conflict with their assessment.

Taylor's case notes were provided to The Baltimore Sun anonymously, and Sun reporting verified their authenticity.

Taylor testified in the Goodson trial that she turned her notes over to defense lawyers, who objected that prosecutors didn't provide them first. Prosecutors said in court that they didn't have the notes. Taylor later testified that she offered to provide her notes but that prosecutors didn't want them.

Williams faulted prosecutors for not obtaining the notes and turning them over, as required under discovery.

During an exchange in court, Chief Deputy State's Attorney Michael Schatzow accused Taylor of "sabotage" and said that he had sought to have her removed from the investigation last summer.

In the final days of Goodson's trial, Taylor sat in the courtroom — with the defense team.

The city's police union took to social media the day after the Goodson verdict, posting a photo of Leonardo DiCaprio raising a glass and the text: "Here's to the Baltimore 6 defense team, the FOP and Detective Taylor." In another post with a photo of Mosby, the union wrote, "The Wolf That Lurks."

Baltimore Police Commissioner Kevin Davis responded Saturday with a statement: "Inappropriate, insensitive remarks or attacks that serve to detract from our necessary relationships with our community and criminal justice partners have no place in our City."

The Fraternal Order of Police posts have since been deleted.

Taylor's case notes shed light on the grand jury process, which by law is secret.

She said that Deputy State's Attorney Janice Bledsoe handed her a narrative on the afternoon she appeared before the grand jury. She thought she would have a chance to talk to Bledsoe before testifying, but that didn't happen.

When members of the grand jury began to ask questions about the case, Taylor wrote, prosecutors intervened and answered from their perspective.

"It was at this time that I realized that she did not intend for me to answer any questions because all of my answers would obviously conflict with what I had just read to them," Taylor wrote.

Taylor noted that she told the grand jury she was only reading the statement and that this was not her investigation.

Taylor's notes indicate that she had concerns about prosecutors early on. She complained that in meetings before charges were brought, "it was clear that [Bledsoe] did not need to listen to any of the evidence as she had made up her mind to charge these officers."

The Sun, which was given exclusive access by the Police Department to observe its investigation last spring, reported that police believed unanswered questions remained in the case when they were caught off-guard by the prosecutors' decision to charge.

Taylor's notes became an issue in Goodson's trial because she wrote in them that the medical examiner had told police that Gray's death was an accident — a claim that the medical examiner disputed on the stand.

When Taylor took the stand, Schatzow questioned whether she wrote the notes only after her falling-out with prosecutors. He then asked her to confirm that she was removed from the Gray investigative team upon his request.

She said that never happened. "You made the request, but you don't have the authority to remove me."

diff topic. NY Times article:

In Freddie Gray Trials, Baltimore Judge Sets High Bar for Prosecution

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06...for-prosecution.html

utter nonsense
The prosecutors had little to no evidence of anything.
The prosecutor witnesses frequently helped the defense

Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
My understanding is the FOP withdrew their defense funding after spending as much as they dared.

I believe the defense is being funded by the National Police Defense Fund.

If anyone knows different, please correct me. I am a member of the FOP, but after recent events was informed by an FOP and PBA lawyer to join the PBA, because the PBA is clear about having no limits on defense funding.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11449 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Detective Dawnyell Taylor said in a daily log of case notes on the investigation that a prosecutor handed her a four-page, typed narrative at the courthouse just before she appeared before the grand jury.

"As I read over the narrative it had several things that I found to be inconsistent with our investigation," Taylor wrote, adding: "I thought the statements in the narrative were misquoted."

But, she wrote, she was "conflicted" about challenging the state's attorney on the narrative in the courtroom. "With great conflict I was sworn in and read the narrative provided," she said in her notes.

When the jurors asked questions, including whether Gray's arrest was legal, Taylor wrote that prosecutors intervened before she could give an answer that would conflict with their assessment.

Another great big WTF, just like the Sheriff who swore out the warrant.
You are going to testify under oath by reading a statement prepared by someone else?? Then when you read it you find it incorrect but you still testify to it.

The prosecutor puts words in your mouth and does not let you answer. You vocalize this issue to the Grand Jury. If the prosecutor continues you get up and walk out.

It is that simple. You are UNDER OATH and required to TELL THE TRUTH, THE WHOLE TRUTH, AND NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH!!
SO DO IT.

Force the prosecutor to get a Judge to try to hold you in contempt. Explain this nonsense to the judge then that is not present in Grand Jury.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25427 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:

Another great big WTF, just like the Sheriff who swore out the warrant.
You are going to testify under oath by reading a statement prepared by someone else?? Then when you read it you find it incorrect but you still testify to it.

The prosecutor puts words in your mouth and does not let you answer. You vocalize this issue to the Grand Jury. If the prosecutor continues you get up and walk out.

It is that simple. You are UNDER OATH and required to TELL THE TRUTH, THE WHOLE TRUTH, AND NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH!!
SO DO IT.

Force the prosecutor to get a Judge to try to hold you in contempt. Explain this nonsense to the judge then that is not present in Grand Jury.

Taylor wouldn't have been hit with a Contempt of Court....Mosby would have charged her as an Accessory After the Fact and Conspiracy to Commit Murder. Roll Eyes

Posts: 3937 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Officer Goodson is still suspended and there will be a BPD administrative review.

One report said that review will not take place until all the trials are completed.

He is now getting paid again.