SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    State of the Union (SOTU) Address 2023
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

State of the Union (SOTU) Address 2023 Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted
Well, once again we come to the Constitutionally-mandated (Article II, Section 3) requirement that the President of the United States:

… shall from time to time give to the Congress Information of the State of the Union, and recommend to their Consideration such Measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient…

Tonight in Prime Time!

I, for one, am having difficulty with how to approach this august affair.

I never watched Bush (43), Clinton, Bush (41), Reagan, Carter, or Ford.

I nearly got alcohol poisoning playing the “SOTU Drinking Game” during Obama’s third SOTU. Word to the wise NEVER choose “I” as the cause for a shot when playing that game on a narcissist’s speech.

I’m still on a weight loss program so I can’t substitute ice cream or pizza for alcohol and any way, humans don’t belong consuming dairy as it’s not inline with evolution.

I tried working out, doing burpees during President Trump’s first address, but I kept stopping to listen to the address. That was a first.

Styxhexenhammer666 isn’t doing live commentary, so no hilarity.

So, I am at a quandary with what to do to celebrate the SOTU.

So how are you planning to spend the SOTU?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31382 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Never watched any of them until Trump. Regarding FJB, I reverted to never watch them again.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone that works for a living or has been buying groceries and gas already knows what the state of the union is.

Posts: 1652 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I will be at a local sports bar.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tequila with lime
posted Hide Post
I'm curious if he's going to use a red back drop and threaten conservatives and MAGA again.

Thank you President Trump.

Posts: 8366 | Location: KS, USA | Registered: May 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I’ll be watching Last of Us or reading.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I wonder if the sejile aold asshole will tell us the pandemic is over again while continuing the covid emergency until May…or extending it again to make sure his big pharma benefactors make even more money. Mayhap he will even let everyone know he’s running in 2024 and throw the democRATs into further turmoil.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
That sock drawer ain’t gonna rearrange itself tonight at 9 pm ET

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
that's tonight? Oh, darn! I always read in the evenings, and I'm about 60% through a boring book, but I can't stop now.

I wonder if McCarthy will sit behind him & make faces, then tear up his copy of the STOU.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
As was the case when BHO was in office, I won't be watching as I won't be able to stomach it! I'll just catch the cliff notes of the of the more egregious and/or ridiculous clips, primarily on Tucker Carlson.

That said, as this Administration is an utter clownshow/embarrassment I think it would be awesome if the GOP conference somehow broke out into spontaneous uncontrollable laughter at this fool over some particularly absurd comment/claim, etc thus cementing the pathetic reality that is the current State of the Union and the 'leaders' steering the ship!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8786 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
I’ll be watching Last of Us...

Ha! Same here. More interesting and not nearly as scary as watching the SOTU.

I have other outlets (including Sig Forum) that will summarize it appropriately.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2540 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
I'm on the same page as 12131, but I will be waiting for the conservative memes that are sure to follow.

Posts: 3998 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I'll likely be busy.

The republicans should decorate their side of the aisle with balloons.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
There’s a new episode of 1000-lb. Sisters on, so I’m afraid JoTater’s gonna have to take a back seat.

Posts: 3220 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Since I have low expectations there will be anything worth watching and if there is I can watch that later, I'll be doing something else.
I suspect the most likely noteworthy event could be some serious memory related stumbles, painful to watch.
I'll wait for the highlight film.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
If I'm home I usually either listen to the SOTU on the radio or occasionally on TV.

quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

The republicans should decorate their side of the aisle with balloons.

I'd like to see a small helium balloon with a fortune cookie hanging under it, snuck in and released while President Biden is speaking.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I guess I'll start reading Unintended Consequences again.

Posts: 3492 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
… shall from time to time give to the Congress Information of the State of the Union, and recommend to their Consideration such Measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient…

Which could (and should) be accomplished with a simple two word letter.

Dear Congress,

We're fucked.

Sincerely,

Joe

Rather, it's turned into nothing but a dog and pony show, and Joe will stand up there, mumbling and whispering, and lie to the American people for an hour or so.

No thanks. I think I'd rather my finger nails get yanked out with a rusty pair of Vise Grips than sit through that.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
What's the likelihood that he says "Pause" out loud right off the bat? I'll say better than even.

Reminds me of the children's books that my three year old reads before bed. 36 point font, quadruple spaced. Perfect.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tenacious
Tempestuous
with Integrity
posted Hide Post
I will be watching with all the rest of the people who say they won't, but will closet watch.

Posts: 784 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post