SIGforum
State of the Union (SOTU) Address 2023

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/8480015894

February 07, 2023, 04:01 AM
Sig2340
State of the Union (SOTU) Address 2023
Well, once again we come to the Constitutionally-mandated (Article II, Section 3) requirement that the President of the United States:

… shall from time to time give to the Congress Information of the State of the Union, and recommend to their Consideration such Measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient…

Tonight in Prime Time!

I, for one, am having difficulty with how to approach this august affair.

I never watched Bush (43), Clinton, Bush (41), Reagan, Carter, or Ford.

I nearly got alcohol poisoning playing the “SOTU Drinking Game” during Obama’s third SOTU. Word to the wise NEVER choose “I” as the cause for a shot when playing that game on a narcissist’s speech.

I’m still on a weight loss program so I can’t substitute ice cream or pizza for alcohol and any way, humans don’t belong consuming dairy as it’s not inline with evolution.

I tried working out, doing burpees during President Trump’s first address, but I kept stopping to listen to the address. That was a first.

Styxhexenhammer666 isn’t doing live commentary, so no hilarity.

So, I am at a quandary with what to do to celebrate the SOTU.

So how are you planning to spend the SOTU?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018
February 07, 2023, 04:19 AM
Never watched any of them until Trump. Regarding FJB, I reverted to never watch them again.

Q

February 07, 2023, 04:37 AM
mike56
Anyone that works for a living or has been buying groceries and gas already knows what the state of the union is.
February 07, 2023, 06:03 AM
4MUL8R
I will be at a local sports bar.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...
February 07, 2023, 06:07 AM
Mr. Kook
I'm curious if he's going to use a red back drop and threaten conservatives and MAGA again.

Thank you President Trump.
February 07, 2023, 06:16 AM
Leemur
I’ll be watching Last of Us or reading.
February 07, 2023, 06:38 AM
gearhounds
I wonder if the sejile aold asshole will tell us the pandemic is over again while continuing the covid emergency until May…or extending it again to make sure his big pharma benefactors make even more money. Mayhap he will even let everyone know he’s running in 2024 and throw the democRATs into further turmoil.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown
February 07, 2023, 06:40 AM
PASig
That sock drawer ain’t gonna rearrange itself tonight at 9 pm ET

February 07, 2023, 07:03 AM
Ironbutt
that's tonight? Oh, darn! I always read in the evenings, and I'm about 60% through a boring book, but I can't stop now.

I wonder if McCarthy will sit behind him & make faces, then tear up his copy of the STOU.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell
February 07, 2023, 07:07 AM
nhracecraft
As was the case when BHO was in office, I won't be watching as I won't be able to stomach it! I'll just catch the cliff notes of the of the more egregious and/or ridiculous clips, primarily on Tucker Carlson.

That said, as this Administration is an utter clownshow/embarrassment I think it would be awesome if the GOP conference somehow broke out into spontaneous uncontrollable laughter at this fool over some particularly absurd comment/claim, etc thus cementing the pathetic reality that is the current State of the Union and the 'leaders' steering the ship!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!
February 07, 2023, 07:15 AM
Tailhook 84
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
I’ll be watching Last of Us...

Ha! Same here. More interesting and not nearly as scary as watching the SOTU.

I have other outlets (including Sig Forum) that will summarize it appropriately.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."
February 07, 2023, 07:16 AM
Z06
I'm on the same page as 12131, but I will be waiting for the conservative memes that are sure to follow.

February 07, 2023, 07:21 AM
Balzé Halzé
I'll likely be busy.

The republicans should decorate their side of the aisle with balloons.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle
February 07, 2023, 07:38 AM
Muddflap
There’s a new episode of 1000-lb. Sisters on, so I’m afraid JoTater’s gonna have to take a back seat.
February 07, 2023, 07:59 AM
220-9er
Since I have low expectations there will be anything worth watching and if there is I can watch that later, I'll be doing something else.
I suspect the most likely noteworthy event could be some serious memory related stumbles, painful to watch.
I'll wait for the highlight film.

February 07, 2023, 08:13 AM
Modern Day Savage
If I'm home I usually either listen to the SOTU on the radio or occasionally on TV.

quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

The republicans should decorate their side of the aisle with balloons.

I'd like to see a small helium balloon with a fortune cookie hanging under it, snuck in and released while President Biden is speaking.
February 07, 2023, 08:17 AM
Rick Lee
I guess I'll start reading Unintended Consequences again.
February 07, 2023, 08:41 AM
Gustofer
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
… shall from time to time give to the Congress Information of the State of the Union, and recommend to their Consideration such Measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient…

Which could (and should) be accomplished with a simple two word letter.

Dear Congress,

We're fucked.

Sincerely,

Joe

Rather, it's turned into nothing but a dog and pony show, and Joe will stand up there, mumbling and whispering, and lie to the American people for an hour or so.

No thanks. I think I'd rather my finger nails get yanked out with a rusty pair of Vise Grips than sit through that.

February 07, 2023, 09:04 AM
Balzé Halzé
What's the likelihood that he says "Pause" out loud right off the bat? I'll say better than even.

Reminds me of the children's books that my three year old reads before bed. 36 point font, quadruple spaced. Perfect.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle
February 07, 2023, 09:04 AM
jgerge222
I will be watching with all the rest of the people who say they won't, but will closet watch.