SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    State of the Union (SOTU) Address 2023
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

State of the Union (SOTU) Address 2023 Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
I’m still on a weight loss program so I can’t substitute ice cream or pizza for alcohol and any way, humans don’t belong consuming dairy as it’s not inline with evolution.

Pish posh.

/continues eating tasty orange creme Greek yogurt....

Big Grin

quote:
Styxhexenhammer666 isn’t doing live commentary, so no hilarity.

He'll probably have something up within the next four hours. I can't wait.

quote:
So how are you planning to spend the SOTU?

Speaking of alcohol poisoning, I just got off the phone with an old coworker. He wants help quitting drinking and we talked for almost two hours. He's going to get an assessment for an in-patient rehab tomorrow. FAR better use of my time than watching 'ol "ASUFUTIMAEHAEHFUTBW" tell us his version of events.

Posts: 17129 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
He's now saying that parents shouldn't have to worry and tell their kids that when they are pulled over to keep their hands on the wheel.
Well, that's very good advice and should be followed by all drivers when they are stopped, not just kids.

1. pull over and stop
2. turn off engine
3 roll down window
4. get license and registration
5. put hands on wheel
6. respectfully follow all instructions and answer all questions

flashguy

While I agree that it's good advice for anyone in a traffic stop, President Biden said it under the context that black people had to have "The Talk" with their kids about what to do in a traffic stop, while He, Biden never had to do it with his kids, implying that police were racist and treated minorities differently in a traffic stop than they did with white people.

This whole portion of his speech was in regards to pushing policing reforms... playing the race card.

I am mildly surprised he even brought up the Southern border, and that he even gave lip service to the notion of securing it by pushing for legislation to get the Border Patrol better equipment.

And his blatant lie that Republicans had proposed Medicare cuts was over the top, and I'm glad so many of them shouted him down. Pretty funny to see him get into a back-and-forth with them a couple times.

I didn't see it but I heard from radio coverage that after his speech, while making his way through the chamber to the exit, that he spent a little more extra time talking to freshman (D) Rep. Brittany Peterson, the tall attractive blonde, and he made sure he got a hug and hair sniff from her, and she was making the most of her first SOTU and first time meeting him.

As lackluster and as predictable as it was, this entire speech was an obvious attempt to pre-position President Biden for a 2024 run.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
OK...back to studying.

New seat or new airplane?

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1773 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Recurrent… Wink

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Lankford Reacts to President Biden’s State of the Union Address
Senator James Lankford

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It was a mistake for ol' Joe to repeat that lie of "The GOP wants to get rid of Social Security and Medicare" because he said it when he had the nation's attention and while in front of those congressmen he was accusing, and look at the reaction he got and how he needed to qualify his remarks. Stupid move, Joe. Thanks

Posts: 107596 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
“Never underestimate Joe’s ability to fuck shit up.“ ~ Barack Hussein Obama

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Governor Sanders rebuttal excerpt:

"At 40, I’m the youngest governor in the country. At 80, he’s the oldest president in American history.  I’m the first woman to lead my state. He’s the first man to surrender his presidency to a woke mob that can’t even tell you what a woman is.

In the radical left’s America, Washington taxes you and lights your hard-earned money on fire, but you get crushed with high gas prices, empty grocery shelves, and our children are taught to hate one another on account of their race, but not to love one another or our great country."

Bravo. The gloves were off, as they should be.

Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
Didn't see this posted yet.

Sarah Sanders response to the SOTU speech.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4IHZyxfCiQ

Posts: 18034 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
I don't know who wrote that speech for Joe, but not even a Biden supporter is stupid enough to believe most of that crap.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8887 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironbutt:
I don't know who wrote that speech for Joe, but not even a Biden supporter is stupid enough to believe most of that crap.

Didn't anyone read his speech before he gave it? There are a number of easily fact checked statements he made.

As a side why are Republicans so against admitting that SS is a Ponzi scheme that will fail? It needs to be abolished for anyone currently under 40, and means tested for anyone currently under 50. Give those 40 and younger half their SS payments back to be invested in a SS-SDA (Social Security Self Directed Account). Use the other half of the payments to cover current beneficiaries entitlements. In fourty years there will be no more SS and everyone will be better for it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How many times did Kamala stand up and clap. I got tired watching it. Like a Jack in the Box was playing, "Pop goes the weasel". I am sure someone who make that into a meme.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by Ironbutt:

Didn't anyone read his speech before he gave it? There are a number of easily fact checked statements he made.

As a side why are Republicans so against admitting that SS is a Ponzi scheme that will fail? It needs to be abolished for anyone currently under 40, and means tested for anyone currently under 50. Give those 40 and younger half their SS payments back to be invested in a SS-SDA (Social Security Self Directed Account). Use the other half of the payments to cover current beneficiaries entitlements. In fourty years there will be no more SS and everyone will be better for it.

The Repub leadership doesn't believe the masses are ready yet. They see it as the kiss of death to any R politician's career.

Back in the 1990's Ross Perot ran for President on the message of serious fiscal reform, and he did get good support for the idea of a little pain now to avoid huge pain later. But he was crushed by The Swamp.

Enough people will have to feel enough pain before DC will give up their control of the $ and power that SS gives them. Congress has proven unable to do the right thing without being forced to by the electorate.

Your plan is similar to mine, tailing off SS for younger people. The Republicans could get a lot of support from younger voters if they'd promote a good plan as a unified party.

Posts: 9445 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Your plan is similar to mine, tailing off SS for younger people. The Republicans could get a lot of support from younger voters if they'd promote a good plan as a unified party.

^^^^^^^^^^^
Never going to happen. As has been noted before it is the third rail of politics. Picture the commercials of pushing Granny and her wheehchair off a cliff.
What is likely to happen is to raise the age limit for eligibility and soak the rich even more. FYI the top one percent of wage earners pay 42 percent of the taxes.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^
Never going to happen. As has been noted before it is the third rail of politics. Picture the commercials of pushing Granny and her wheehchair off a cliff.
What is likely to happen is to raise the age limit for eligibility and soak the rich even more. FYI the top one percent of wage earners pay 42 percent of the taxes.

The younger generations are soon going to cheer grandma being pushed off the cliff!

I do believe it could be done but would require a united front from the Republicans, with specific details and an ironclad promise not to monkey with it. My kids and their friends, mid 20's to mid 30's, expect to never see a penny from SS. They'd love to see the significant tax cut they'd get.

Anything else such as increasing the eligibility age or reducing payouts (means testing, increased taxation of benefits, etc) will only kick the can further down the road and increase the total pain.

Posts: 9445 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
One comment on this short segment of his speech called it “The State of Delusion Address.”

Posts: 13260 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
As a side why are Republicans so against admitting that SS is a Ponzi scheme that will fail?

It is a Ponzi scheme.

quote:

Never say never. What can't go on forever, won't. The question is not if, but when, and how will it be addressed.
But for now... it's kicked down the road.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
LOOGIDUP!!

Old bastard is channelling Cenk Uygur: "GOOGLE IT!"

President Gabby Johnson

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post