SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The SCOTUS confirmation circus has begun....
Page 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ... 239
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The SCOTUS confirmation circus has begun.... Login/Join 
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
You asked who ran the Senate.

Yes... Schumer is the conductor.

ChuckGrassley ✔
@ChuckGrassley
"With all the extensions we give Dr Ford to decide if she still wants to testify to the Senate I feel like I’m playing 2nd trombone in the judiciary orchestra and Schumer is the conductor"

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our Schumer's way.
This lesson in political reality from @ChuckGrassley

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24141 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
We need some women's groups to come out and loudly protest the way this entire #metoo movement has been weaponized to the point making it irrelevant in the future. It has become way to predictable and you could see this coming a long time ago.

Something needs to be put in place where there has to be a threshold of proof that needs to be met before a accusation can be made without penalty of defamation of character suit automatically applied.

This has now reached the level where black out drunk teen aged girls think they can remember things decades later that they couldn't remember the next day.

Grassley enabled this by allowing himself to be bullied this deep in the weeds. It's gone to far now he has no way out other than to keep capitulating to these women's demands to be heard about something they can't even remember.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8535 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
You asked who ran the Senate.

Yes...

ChuckGrassley ✔
@ChuckGrassley
With all the extensions we give Dr Ford to decide if she still wants to testify to the Senate I feel like I’m playing 2nd trombone in the judiciary orchestra and Schumer is the conductor

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our Chuck Schumer's way.
This lesson in political reality from @ChuckGrassley

That’s exactly right. If Grassley was sure he could count on the votes, he could do all the things you guys think would be so wonderful. McConnell could leap over tall buildings in a single bound. With a margin of 1, and no assurances that all will follow, it is a lot dicier.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
That’s exactly right. If Grassley was sure he could count on the votes, he could do all the things you guys think would be so wonderful.

It's almost as if some of our members want to simply tank the nomination. "Take the vote!, Take the vote!"

So they take the vote and don't have the Rinos on board? Then what?

Win or lose, should we attempt to get them on board? Or should we just take the vote now and chalk up a loss?

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15723 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

That’s exactly right. If Grassley was sure he could count on the votes, he could do all the things you guys think would be so wonderful. McConnell could leap over tall buildings in a single bound. With a margin of 1, and no assurances that all will follow, it is a lot dicier.

Everyone keeps forgetting this fact it seems.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30412 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
On a slightly different note, women as a group are killing themselves in the workplace. Talked to a friend of mine the other day who owns a large commercial construction company. His message to his HR group recently...They will not be hiring any additional women until the world once again returns to some sense of normalcy. This continual fake BS and attacks on men is going to damage their opportunities in the workplace. I know the leftists don't care about that, but I also know a whole bunch of very smart, very capable women, who will.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
On a slightly different note, women as a group are killing themselves in the workplace. Talked to a friend of mine the other day who owns a large commercial construction company. His message to his HR group recently...They will not be hiring any additional women until the world once again returns to some sense of normalcy. This continual fake BS and attacks on men is going to damage their opportunities in the workplace. I know the leftists don't care about that, but I also know a whole bunch of very smart, very capable women, who will.

I can't blame him,but damn if I would tell anybody.

Posts: 12701 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:

Your friend is absolutely spot on target. The "#metoo" movement has hurt womens' progress far more than men.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:

Actually, McConnell should call the vote and force the Dems in tossup races to vote against him and seal their fate.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
It is Game 7, bottom of the 9th, series tied, home team down one run. Bases loaded. Decent hitter at bat.

Do you call for a suicide squeeze? If there are two outs? If there is one out? At what count?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:
quote:

Actually, McConnell should call the vote and force the Dems in tossup races to vote against him and seal their fate.

I predict at least 2-3 Dems vote to confirm Kavanaugh on the Senate floor. ZERO Dems on the Judiciary committee will vote for him.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
This is a sideshow. A conjurer's distraction. Kavanaugh will be confirmed, or not, but this exercise demonstrates why the Republicans can no longer work on the margin any more. Lest we forget, for the survival of this country and the vision of those who founded it, what is absolutely necessary is that every single democratic candidate this Fall be demonstrably and resoundingly defeated in the midterms. Every one. Failing that, the majority of them. Failing that, retention of a majority in the House and the Senate. Hopefully most of the remaining sane American voters are paying attention, and at least vote for their own self-interest. Because if they don't, if we don't, in the quotable words of Newt in the Aliens sequal, "it won't make any difference."

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
quote:

I can't blame him,but damn if I would tell anybody.
Forgot to mention. His wife is the HR director and she wholeheartedly agrees with his decision. Wink

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is Game 7, bottom of the 9th, series tied, home team down one run. Bases loaded. Decent hitter at bat.

Do you call for a suicide squeeze? If there are two outs? If there is one out? At what count?

With respect, that analogy doesn't fit the situation. Senators in West Virgina, Indiana, and Montana will lose their seats if they vote against him.

quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:

I predict at least 2-3 Dems vote to confirm Kavanaugh on the Senate floor. ZERO Dems on the Judiciary committee will vote for him.

I agree.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
If Grassley was sure he could count on the votes, he could do all the things you guys think would be so wonderful. McConnell could leap over tall buildings in a single bound. With a margin of 1, and no assurances that all will follow, it is a lot dicier.

Yes. McConnell could... and probably has... have a conversation with Susan Collins.
If she is on board, he should call the vote. If she is NOT on board (or more likely uncommitted) ... it is a lot dicier.
Especially when you also try to count on Jeff Flake ...

#FlakeNews: Flake Has Been Visiting CNN and MSNBC, Apparently as Part of an Interview Process

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."

-rduckwor

Posts: 24141 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

With respect, that analogy doesn't fit the situation. Senators in West Virgina, Indiana, and Montana will lose their seats if they vote against him.

The analogy reflects uncertainty in outcome. If you are sure, absolutely, then no problem.

“Be sure you are right, then go ahead.” David Crockett

Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
My view of the demoKKKrat senators in Republican states is that if they vote against Kavanaugh, it's probably a good indicator that they think they're going to lose their senate races. Republicans are going to gain seats in the Senate and with that, demoKKKrat support for Republican legislation & confirmations is not going to be very important...same with Collins & Murkowski - their voting power is going to be diluted.

quote:
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:

I agree.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4336 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post

This is scarier to me than anything in this confirmation.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
have a conversation with Susan Collins.
If she is on board, he should call the vote. If she is NOT on board (or more likely uncommitted) ... it is a lot dicier.

I wonder what she 'really' wants....

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Interesting that PP imagined Kavanaugh might be on SCOTUS someday...
Planned Parenthood Ad, 2012:

-rduckwor