SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The SCOTUS confirmation circus has begun....
Page 1 ... 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 ... 239
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The SCOTUS confirmation circus has begun.... Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

Don’t blame me! Smile The word was used in an article I posted written by someone else, to whom credit was given in my post.

The fact remains you have the intellectual horsepower to post similar words daily without breaking a sweat (and I hope you do!)

Look up unctuous. Wink

Q

Posts: 26779 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Guys. Try to keep it in the ballpark of the subject, please.

Posts: 108103 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
When I sat Kava, you say naugh!

Posts: 5779 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Kavanaugh is giving Trump a run for his money.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16825 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure why Turley thinks having 19 Justices will solve the problem. The political impulse will always be to drive for a majority that reflects one party's point of view or another. Having 19 Justices instead of 9 will simply redefine the parameters of the field of competition without eliminating or even ameliorating the competition.

Posts: 27295 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanner:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Someone should contact the Trump-hating Stephen King and ask him to consider a reboot of his novel, changing the automobile from a Plymouth to a Ford.

FORD in auto repair circles also known as, ‘Fooked Over Rebuilt Dodge’
I always was told it meant "Found On Road Dead". BTW, I've never owned a 4-wheeled vehicle that was not made by Ford, and I've been very satisfied.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
Interesting POV by Prof. Jonathan Turley on Fox this morning. He suggested there ought to be 19 SCOTUS justices to dilute the power of each one and take some of the craziness out of the confirmation battles. It would be a mess to implement, but it probably would make things run a lot more smoothly once up and running. The way it is now, it's getting near civil war with each nomination, and there could be two more in pretty short order.

Why stop at 19? Why not have one justice for every 100,000 citizens? Then we can say we've really diluted the power of an indivudial justice.

Yes...tongue firmly planted in cheek. Roll Eyes

Posts: 2967 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
I'm not sure why Turley thinks having 19 Justices will solve the problem. The political impulse will always be to drive for a majority that reflects one party's point of view or another. Having 19 Justices instead of 9 will simply redefine the parameters of the field of competition without eliminating or even ameliorating the competition.

I think it's because it would be so much harder to assume there's an iron-clad balance between 19 individuals. With a 5-4 split, it's not too hard to predict some decisions, knowing there is usually only one swing vote. I'd find it hard to believe you could get 19 justices who are totally set on side or the other. I doubt we'd see too many 9-10 decisions in that case, perhaps giving a little more legitimacy to the decisions with bigger majority sides.

But I know this will never happen in my lifetime, so it's mental masturbation, at best. I'm not even sure it's a great idea, just kind of interesting. I really don't see the current situation getting better by itself.

Posts: 3589 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
quote:
as the junior Justice, Kavanaugh will have to get the coffee during the conferences of the Court.

I read that and had a mental picture of Kavanaugh walking back in w 2 six packs.

If he has any balls at all . . .

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53145 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
I really don't see the current situation getting better by itself

given 'the current situation' didn't get WORSE by itself either....there's likely a better solution than doubling the SCOTUS roster.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9860 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'll use the Red Key
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Swearing in with President Trump - is on live now

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3800 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Old Ginny can’t even clap. Probably afraid she’ll turn into dust given her near skeleton status. Better get back to Bernie’s there RBG!
Congrats Justice Kavanaugh!!!

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Watching the pride in his daughters eyes as he was sworn in, dang near brought a tear to my eye.

Awww...who am I kidding...no dang near about it.

Posts: 20212 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcereuss:
Why stop at 19?

Big Grin But, but, look how well Poland's done with a 143-judge supreme court!

quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
I'd find it hard to believe you could get 19 justices who are totally set on side or the other. I doubt we'd see too many 9-10 decisions in that case, perhaps giving a little more legitimacy to the decisions with bigger majority sides.

I don't know that that's true. The close votes are already a minority of the decisions the court reaches, so it's hard to see how the number of close votes would be reduced further simply by adding more Justices. It also takes forever sometimes to get a majority of the justices behind one side or another. IMHO, this will just complicate and delay the formation of majorities because there will be more cats to herd. For the same reason, I think we'd see an explosion in the number of separate minority opinions written for each case.

At the same time, the fact that there is one majority decision written for the court (or there is no usable precedent from the case, really), means that there's going to be a strong impulse to join in one majority opinion and at most one minority opinion in order to state the law not only clearly but persuasively. No Justice is really in a hurry to write a minority opinion that everyone will ignore, and no Justice truly loves a lack of clarity.

Posts: 27295 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
19 justices? THat's insane. The Senate would have half it's calendar every year consumed by confirmations

Posts: 6070 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I wonder where they got the idea that this was the first time a Justice was sworn in by the Justice for whom he had clerked. Neil Gorsuch clerked for Justice Kennedy and was sworn in by him in the Rose Garden last year.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The members of the American Press are some of the most confused and ill-informed people in this nation.

Posts: 108103 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
#DrainTheSwamp
Picture of P229 357SIG Man
posted Hide Post
I thought he said clerked for the Justice he replaced.

P226 9 mm
P229 .357 SIG
Glock 17
AR15 Spikes - Noveske - Daniel Defense Frankenbuild

Posts: 944 | Location: Glen Allen, Virginia | Registered: January 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I love how President Trump stuck it to the obstructionist, dishonest, insidious dems by officially apologizing to Justice Kavanaugh and his family during the swearing in ceremony. And then he turned to his daughters and told them directly that their father is a great man. Very well done.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30557 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN: meretricious

ARCHAIC
relating to or characteristic of a prostitute.

Posts: 2546 | Location: KY | Registered: October 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post