SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What do we like or don't like for a snow/winter tire?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do we like or don't like for a snow/winter tire? Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted
One of the Miss BB61s is a RN at a NICU and will have early morning and evening commutes to and from work. She has an AWD RAV 4 but we are thinking a snow/ winter tire for better traction.

Thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

Thx!

Posts: 12468 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
They aint cheap but I prefer Bridgestone Blizzak

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
Supposedly the best is nokian hakkkapeliita R5. I’ve use the previous version which is the r3 and it’s amazing.

Posts: 479 | Location: Out West | Registered: January 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
what part of the country are we talking???

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11003 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Salt Lake City with a small mountain pass too.

Posts: 12468 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hakka are the bomb. I had them installed on my wife’s Audi A3 ( sedan) when we lived in Buffalo. Thing could get through stuff that bogged my jeep wrangler down. Worth every penny

Posts: 3292 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I would look at Cooper, Falken and Hankook. Maybe BFG TA's if can get in that size.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19191 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
Nokian Hakkas on the BMW X3, and Nokian studded Nordsman's on the 4x4 RAM truck.

Montana...where it's been snowing or freezing rain for the last 2 weeks

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
If you go back to all season- look at Cooper Discoverer-Enduramax. 3=peak rating - ran 60,000mi on my 1st set in Eastern-PA and just put another set on the 2018 Forester. Weather never stopped me but again its not a mountain pass in Utah!

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4580 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I’ve used mostly Blizzacks over the years. I’m trying 2 Michelin snow tires this year.

The ones I didn’t care for were the Firestone ‘Winterforce’, though they would seem to wear longer on dry pavement. They just never gripped as well as the Blizzacks.

If one drives an AWD vehicle, depending on where they live, the best of the ‘all season’ tires can be suitable. Not all ‘all season’ tires are equal.

Posts: 6170 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
We've been using General Altimax Arctic winter tires on several of our vehicles for a good number of years now. Very happy with their performance and tread wear.

With our sparse population and resulting tax base, snow removal and black ice treatment waits until the snowfall stops. So having excellent performing winter tires around here is mandatory and as said the Altimax Arctic tires deliver.

Tried Blizzacks and other such but found they wore quickly loosing any performance advantages. They're much more costly that the Altimax-Arctic shoes as well.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires...al-altimax-arctic-12

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16225 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
I really like Blizzaks and the offerings from Michelin are good too.

Every time you or she will have to drive in sketchy conditions you both will be glad you splurged on dedicated snows!

Posts: 5145 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
We have this thread every winter. I’ve lived in northern latitudes and/or at elevation for a long, long time. We’ve always had my 4wd truck and an all-wheel drive or 4wd car (Jeep) for my wife. I’ve never changed tires expressly for winter driving, always getting through winter with all-season tires. I do have preferences. I’m a Michelin guy and have had great success with their all-season tires (ATX?). I don’t like Pirelli Scorpions, and unfortunately, my new truck came with them. Pirellis were on a Volvo XC60 we had and they were awful on snow; I hope these on the truck are much improved.

Posts: 13271 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^
You may have been "lucky" with all weather tires where you live. But having been raised in upstate NY (HS drivers Ed on a frozen lake with rear wheel drive cars) and having lived in a variety of cold winter locations, betting on all weather tires over dedicated winter shoes is folly for 99% of those living in such areas. Sorry.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16225 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have had good luck with the Michelin X Ice series on an Outback and 4Runner here in lower Michigan.

Posts: 770 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: January 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
Lived most of 60 years in snow and cold country, and driven 45 of those years, so I know a little of that which you ask.

Blizzak hands-down. They do wear quicker, but I can get 3 or 4 winters out of them before performance drops. They are like velcro on the road. Even the FWD cars are nearly unstoppable with these-ground clearance is the limiting factor.

I'm sure there are other options that may be nearly as good or as good, but you will not go wrong with the Blizzaks.

Posts: 2937 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
We sell a few Firestone Winterforce here. We also run them ourselves. They are very effective. They are not too noisy. They have a stay soft compound like the Blizzak so you want to get them off asap after winter. They are capable of being studded if you are so inclined.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5686 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
We have this thread every winter. I’ve lived in northern latitudes and/or at elevation for a long, long time. We’ve always had my 4wd truck and an all-wheel drive or 4wd car (Jeep) for my wife. I’ve never changed tires expressly for winter driving, always getting through winter with all-season tires.
Same here.

I used to change tires when I was driving RWD cars and Michigan allowed studded snow tires. Once Michigan disallowed studded snow tires, which was about the time I went to FWD or AWD vehicles, I never bothered anymore.

For my wife's care I've always selected road tires that were reported to have good performance on snow and ice. For my SUVs I've always gone with a touring/off-road hybrid tire.

I put Michelin LTX M/S' on the Jeep Grand Cherokee a year ago. They did fine on snowy/icy roads. We put Michelin CrossClimate 2's on my wife's FWD Equinox and she reported they worked fine.

But my area of Michigan is pretty flat and we don't often get more than 6-10 in. of snow at a pop. In areas of heavier snowfall and/or with elevation challenges perhaps it'd be a different story.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post