SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Snow/ all season tires.. recommendations?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Snow/ all season tires.. recommendations? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Nokian WRG4 - all weather tire that is actually snow rated

Posts: 186 | Registered: April 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Blizzak on my truck and my wife's Rav4. My son has General altimax and we all get around good in Buffalo.

Posts: 3476 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:
Use the comparison tool from TireRack.com.

Great tool that uses actual car owners responses to rank the tires.

You can also order tires already mounts on wheels from them too.

^^This. What's great for one vehicle may not be great for others. When I'm looking for tires, I start with TireRack, enter my vehicle, and look at the most popular / recommended tires. After that, I read reviews of those tires written by people with the my vehicle or something very similar. After that, I come up with a top three and got to my tire shop to get their comments and recommendations.

Posts: 2372 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I had a dedicated set of snow wheels & tires on my Alaska truck (Silverado) and a set of snow wheels & tires on my Canadia truck (Frontier).

When I was shopping for winter tires in Canada in late '14 the Michelin X-Ice3 were the highest rated tire, but everyone was out of them. The YokoHama IceGuard's were #2 rated on many reviews and I was able to find a pair. I mounted them on black, ugly steel wheels. I was extremely pleased with them and never found myself missing the studded snow tires I had on my Silverado in Alaska.

When you look at university research on winter tires, you'll see that modern winter tires are equal to studded tires at 25F and colder. The studded tires only advantage was with the zamboni effect (from melting due to temps or black body radiation) of water on top of ice between 26 and 35F. In dry roads, the studless tires beat studded tires. BTW, studless and studded winter tires kick the crap out of the all-season tires in all conditions.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23356 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post