SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anybody use Nokian tires?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody use Nokian tires? Login/Join 
Team Apathy
posted
Looking for a new set of tires for the wife’s minivan, an AWD Sienna. Hot summers, mild winters with not much rain. However, it’ll visit the mountains several times each winter so I want a set of tires that is capable in winter mountain conditions (not extremes, we won’t venture out in extremes).

Some intial research shows the Nokian WRG 3 to be very capable in snowy/icy conditions so that’s what I’m considering.

What am I giving up by going with a tire more heavily leaning towards winter performance (without being a true winter tire)? I assume they will wear faster the rest of the year, particularly in our hot and dry summers?

If I get the Nokian tires should I just run those for the winter months and then switch them
Out to a more standard all season tire to save the Nokians?

Posts: 6383 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
PA state police used to, and still may, use their snow tires. If you have ever driven I79 during a storm that says something. No idea on their non snow tires but the Finn's make good stuff.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
We have Nokian Hakkapelita R2's on both BMW's and our new Bullitt Mustang - but only for winter. There are people up here who have WRG 3's on their Subies year round; they seem to hold up fine in the summer and still climb around the ice during our 6 months of winter.

Not cheap tires, but hands down the best winter rubber.

Posts: 1481 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Likely some of the best run flats you will come across. Which is fairly important for the AWD Sienna since it has no spare.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25467 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I had a set on a 4x4 full size 1/2 ton pickup a couple decades ago. Got great traction in all conditions, and tire mileage was extremely good.

Other than the price jumping up quite high suddenly, my local tire shop couldn't get the new sizes I needed on newer rigs.

They carried me through some very tough winter roads.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9856 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Spendy, but a very good tire brand.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19257 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Not an expert but I considered the same thing. I was told that good snow tires are not ideal for summer as they tend to feel squishy and less responsive. Sneakers for summer. Boots for winter. You can wear either for each season but not ideal. Anyway, advice that was given to me.

May not matter on a minivan. Maybe more dramatic on a sporty car.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12766 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
Pricewise they are in the bottom third of "comparable" Grand Touring All-Season tires. I can get them shipped to me, right now, for about $115 a tire. I see other all-seasons by big names on Tire Rack knocking on the door to $200... and not many cheaper than the Nokians.

Locally I have a tire guy who mount and balance them for $10 each, but the tires on the van now have some life left in them and he'd probably take them as trade. He's in a seedy part of town and a large amount of his business is cheap used tires.

Sounds like $115 a tire is a solid price and the tire seems to be a good choice for me. Guess I'll pull the trigger.

Posts: 6383 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I have a 19 yr old Volvo and have had the WRG 3's for about 10k miles (thru summer) and love them so far. They ride well, are quiet and responsive as hell. Did very well in our record breaking rains in Texas this fall. This is my 1st set of Nokies. I am very pleased so far. I plan to run them year round and see no problems with this.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7273 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
Ordered. Smile

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Not an expert but I considered the same thing. I was told that good snow tires are not ideal for summer as they tend to feel squishy and less responsive. Sneakers for summer. Boots for winter. You can wear either for each season but not ideal. Anyway, advice that was given to me.

May not matter on a minivan. Maybe more dramatic on a sporty car.

The WG3 is their all season tire, not Nokians typical winter tire.

————————————————

Honor and Integrity
posted Hide Post
I've had Nokian tires on my last two trucks, and now have a set on my 4Runner. I even talked my mother into putting the WRG 3's on her RAV4 last year. They have worked very well in all kinds of weather that we get in Wisconsin, and I've not seen them wear any faster than other brands.

Posts: 2224 | Location: Fitchburg, WI | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Censored
posted Hide Post
I have learned a thing or two when purchasing tires. To the right of "DOT" is usually a 4 digit code. The first two numbers are the week the tire was made and the last two are the year. A couple years ago I bought a set of tires for winter only. I was expecting the tires to last ~6 years. What I found was that the tires were made 3 years and 12 weeks prior to purchase (which means that they were probably not going to last 6 more years). I pointed this out to the tire store and they promptly order a new and fresher set.

Buyer beware

Posts: 2223 | Location: United States | Registered: February 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
The tires went on the van yesterday and it started snowing up in the mountains overnight. So, when all kids woke up we dug our the snow boots and pants and through everybody in the van. Chain controls were in effect at about 3500 feet (we live at 100 in a technical desert). Most of the roads were relatively well plowed but parking lots had 4-5” of fresh powder. No problems at all in the van... it felt very solid the whole time. At one point I had to stop going uphill to and wait for a huge articulated earth mover with plow blades to get out of the way. I was a bit nervous about starting from a dead stop going uphill but it was just like the ground was dry.

I think we made a good choice!

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I've never really heard of the brand until recently when looking for tires for the truck.

Seems like a Finnish company. Seems like they would know about snow tires Smile

Do they make the tires in Finland? Or at least some 1st world country? If so, I may try them out next time.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12766 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've never really heard of the brand until recently when looking for tires for the truck.

Do they make the tires in Finland? Or at least some 1st world country? If so, I may try them out next time.

Their factories are in Finland and Russia. I do not know which products come from which factory though.

————————————————

Picture of usp_fan
posted Hide Post
We've got 3 sets of the WRG3s. Two are the SUV version. All have been excellent in the ND Winters and road trip Summers. I have read that they wear faster in warm environments due to the softer compound.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better all weather tire.

Posts: 2504 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: March 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A big thumbs up on Nokian tires from this guy in NH.

Posts: 551 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: July 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:

Their factories are in Finland and Russia. I do not know which products come from which factory though.

The WRG3 SUV I just got are made in Russia. I’m cool with that.

When my F150 needs new shoes I’m getting the Nokian AT.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thumperfbc:
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:

The WRG3 SUV I just got are made in Russia. I’m cool with that.

When my F150 needs new shoes I’m getting the Nokian AT.

I wish their Rockproof tire was an All Season tire. I would like to give them a shot but don't want to have two sets of wheels.

The AT does not have an aggressive enough sidewall for me.

————————————————