SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Snow tires for a 4wd truck.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Snow tires for a 4wd truck. Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
Hey guys,

I’m helping a friend get set up for moving to MN; he has little experience driving in snow.
He is looking to outfit his 4WD truck with snow tires and wants to use Blizzaks on them. I’m not familiar with the brand.

Anyone?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12334 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I have used Blizzaks and Altimax tires on cars with really good success.

I run Toyo snow/ice rated tires on all of my work trucks which are also designed for mud traction. M-55s on the smaller trucks.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15719 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
+1 big time for Altimax Arctic winter tires from General. Used on 3 vehicles within the extended family. Excellent performance and wear like iron.

And FWIW 4WD is not a pancea for winter roads. Too many still overdrive conditions thinking 4WD will handle things. Stooopid is as stooopid does. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16223 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Year after year after year, Michelin X-Ice wins head to head competitions. Blizzak varies every year from 2nd to last depending on how recent their upgrade is.

A guy from Texas posting about winter tires may seem weird, but I did live in Alaska 5 winters and Can-eh-duh 2 winters and had winter tires on 4wd trucks in both places. Also, I've even driven on iceroads in the Arctic Circle, and grew up in the Upper Midwest. Alaska allowed studded snow tires and they're awesome (not legal very many places though), and they actually benefit other drivers by scuffing up the ice. Canada didn't allow studded and Michelin X-Ice were out of stock all 10 places I checked so I ended up with Yokohama Iceguards (rated 2nd at the time) and was very pleased.

University Alaska Fairbanks did quite a bit of research on studded vs studless winter vs all-season. Long story short:
  • Studded and studless winter kicked the crap out of all-season in all scenarios.
  • Studded tires' only advantage over studless winter was 25 to 35 F when the ice is softer.

EDIT:
    One thing I highly encourage is getting a dedicated set of wheels for the winter tires. It solves 3 issues:
  • damaging beads on summer or winter tires from the annual mounting/demounting
  • getting scammed by unscrupulous tire shops saying you need new tires because they weren't safe to mount. Alaska had a real problem with this.
  • if you live in a place where lots of people getting winter tires, it saves many hours sitting in the lobby of the tire shop. It's much more achievable DIY to jack up the truck, take off off-season wheel and tire, and bolt on current season wheel & tire.

In Alaska, I had kept the original factory 16" wheels (20" wheels and tires for summer) so these 16" wheels became my dedicated winter wheel (16" snow tires are more plentiful and cheaper than 20"). In Canada, I bought a set of UBS (ugly black steel wheels) to go with the winter tires.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tatortodd,

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23263 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Krazeehorse
    posted Hide Post
    Firestone Winterforce perform well and are a pretty good value.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    4-H Shooting
    Sports Instructor
    Picture of Zecpull
    posted Hide Post
    Michelin x ice are very good. But for a truck I like BF Goodrich all terrain TA.

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
    > because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
    NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
    Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9072 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of SIGfourme
    posted Hide Post
    300 pounds of sand over the rear axle really helps.

Posts: 2304 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of SigSentry
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
    Firestone Winterforce perform well and are a pretty good value.

Yep, no Brainer imo, not so soft that they wear too quickly.

Posts: 3522 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Look up the Nokian Tires. I use Nokian on my 4WD truck and love them.
    They are use to the snow in Finland.

https://www.nokiantires.com/

Posts: 1153 | Location: western, Washington | Registered: November 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Green grass and
    high tides
    Picture of old rugged cross
    posted Hide Post
    i would not put any of those kinds of tires on a real pickup. Put some Cooper, Hankook, yokahama, Good Year, etc. 10 ply mud and snow rated tires on it. Problem solved.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19188 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Shit don't
    mean shit
    posted Hide Post
    Cooper Discoverer, but you need summer tires too or you'll wear them out fast.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    For real?
    Picture of Chowser
    posted Hide Post
    All my cars are awd and I always run snow setups. No issues with the General Arctics on my daughter’s Subaru or the Michelin XIce or Blizzaks on my bmws.

I use to always get nokian hakks but can never find anyone local that has them.

I haven’t gotten a snow setup yet for my current bmw but i might skip it and when the runflats wear out I will get the michelin cross climate2s or the nokian wrg4.
    These are all weather tires. I think General makes one now as well.

Not sure if those are available in truck sizes

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8021 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I have a set of Bridgestone Blizzak WS90 on Sparco Terra wheels for my 2013 Subaru WRX, and it's like driving on dry roads almost in the snow. I have to remind myself that there is snow on the roads and to drive appropriately.

These things have crazy grip in the snow. I have been more than impressed!

Look into the Blizzak LT or similar.

ARman

Posts: 3153 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of aileron
    posted Hide Post
    Studded Nokian Nordsman's on my Ram 4WD crew cab after suffering with studded Hankook iPikes for a couple of years. 400# of sand in the bed directly over the rear axle.

Nokian Hakka R2 and R3 on the BMW x-drives.

Luv my Nokians!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: aileron,

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    SIGforum Official
    Eye Doc
    Picture of bcereuss
    posted Hide Post
    Blizzaks. Living in the land of the hard winter, these are what we use on all our winter vehicles, FWD, AWD, 4WD. They’re like Velcro.

This is “real world” information based on many years of winter driving.

YMMV…but not much!

Posts: 2935 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Shaql
    posted Hide Post
    Get whatever tire suits you but snowtires wont be his issue.

4WD /= 4WStop

This ends lesson #1

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
    Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
    Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Not as lean, not as mean,
    Still a Marine
    Picture of Gibb
    posted Hide Post
    I use Cooper snow claw winter tires on my RWD Chevy 2500 Express van.

Truck tires are not the same as car tires, and Blizzak seems to be better at performance tires vs truck/suv setups.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Savor the limelight
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by SIGfourme:
    300 pounds of sand over the rear axle really helps.

Add a couple bags of salt as well as a snow shovel and you can get out of most anything winter throws at you. I got stuck quite a few times, but never needed help to get unstuck. Also, the bridges really do freeze before the roads.

Posts: 10950 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
    posted Hide Post
    I'm old school on snow tires so take what I say with a grain of salt.
    For out in the country of DEEP snow the old style bias ply narrow tire is much better the the wide tires they sell these days.
    A narrow tire will cut through snow to grip the ground much easier then a wide tire.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4135 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Conveniently located directly
    above the center of the Earth
    Picture of signewt
    posted Hide Post
    Nokia got me in 4x4 across blizzard conditions from St. Louis
    to Pocatello in worst road conditions I've
    ever seen.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
    "I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
    ~SIGforum advisor~
    "When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post