SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Have you ever had a brand new car for yourself?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have you ever had a brand new car for yourself? Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted
I have never had a brand new car of my own. I'm looking at buying something else in the next year or two most likely. I thought this would be the time for a brand new one finally, but once again I am slipping into the mindset of buying a low mileage lease turn in - something 20k miles. My thinking is always this gets me more car for less money. Both the wife and I put about 25k miles on each of our vehicles every year.

My wife on the other hand typically gets a new one when the old one is no longer reliable.

This leads me to my question:

Question:
Have you ever had a brand new car for yourself?

Choices:
Yes
No
Only the significant other gets those

Posts: 17896 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Never bought a new car.

Never made a car payment either.

Posts: 9159 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I'm on my second new car. My next will be new as well. Saving is great but if you're spending that kind of time in it you might as well enjoy the new car experience.

Posts: 8150 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Yeah, we buy new cars. Hondas and Toyotas for the last 30+ years. Drive them until they die, rinse, repeat.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16709 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Bought a brand new car once. Wasn't worth it. Everything since has been lightly used (<25k).

Posts: 32524 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Did it twice. Wasn't worth it.
Now I buy one or two year old cars.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8024 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Working for Water
Picture of Chance228
posted Hide Post
I am 41 yo....my current vehicle, specifically a Toyota Tacoma, was my first new car purchase. Decision being that the Certified Pre-Owned ones with 40K miles were only a few thousand dollars cheaper. That, coupled with a great rate from my bank, made the decision easy.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Central New Jersey | Registered: February 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
i'm never in a hurry to buy a car. i purchased the most recent new SUV (a Nissan) when the dealer had a big sale - the price was close to the same car with 20k miles. After going back and forth on price, i told the dealer I'd do the deal if they added a few accessories, including the factory towing package.

This might not have worked with other brands.... Nissan is not super popular in this neck of the woods so the dealer was hungry.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I've had two "off the lot, brand new" vehicles in my 58+ years. With the caveat that the first one I bought (1986 Mazda RX-7 GXL) was driven for 183,000 miles and LITERALLY died in 2000. That's when I bought my used 1997 Toyota Corolla DX, which I still drive to this day as my "airport car"...currently has 188,000+ miles.

In 2011, I decided I wanted to treat myself again with an off the lot, brand new vehicle and bought a 2011 Toyota Venza (has less than 44,000 miles on it). I will probably never buy another car, or if I do, it'll be 2 or 3 years old. I plan on putting a nice paint job on the Corolla in the next couple of years and giving it to my oldest nephew when he turns 17, which will be right about the time I have to retire.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
Two new trucks. Never made a vehicle payment either.

As mentioned above, lightly used, low mile used trucks are only a few thousand cheaper, if that.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2090 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I have had several:
1960 Ford Falcon (sold to my mom for $1)
1966 Ford Mustang (sold to a GI in Iran)
1971 Ford Pinto (sold to a GI in Germany)
1980 Mercury Capri (traded in)
1986 Ford Mustang GT (driven 183,000 miles)
2006 Ford Mustang GT (current daily driver)

Each of those was my daily driver until the next one was purchased. My only "used" daily driver car was my first, a 1953 Ford coupe, bought in 1959 and driven only one year (sold it to my cousin for what I'd paid for it). I have had other used vehicles as "fun" drives (still have a 1966 Mustang in my garage--not my original one, though).

Both my 1960 Falcon and 1971 Pinto were "first year" vehicles, and they did have a few teething problems. The Falcon didn't get enough oil into the rocker arm assemblies and those had to be replaced (I'd moved and didn't get the recall notice from Ford). The Pinto clutch linkage broke and had to be welded (again, I'd moved and didn't get the recall notice). When in USAF, one moves around a lot. Other than those issues, I've never had any serious problems with any of my new cars.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Sure, several of my cars (including my current one), two trucks and both of my motorcycles were bought new. This is over a 40-year period.

Posts: 27970 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
I get a brand new car about every 10 years. That's usually the time frame when they are falling apart.

94 Dodge Ram

2004 Seabring convertable

2014 Escape

2024 ????

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3487 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
Once, right out of college when GM had 0% and I needed a vehicle to start my career. Got the cheapest little Saturn I could find on the lot.

Other than that, my preference is late model used. Preferably something with under 30,000 miles that has some of the factory warranty remaining in case of issues.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5283 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
One time: a 2000 Dodge Neon

I will never buy another new car from a new car dealer. Only 1-2 year old vehicles from the retail pricing model sellers like CarMax.

Posts: 33829 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I’ve bought 2 new trucks. My current truck was practically new since I bought it with 609 miles on it (guy bought loaded midsize truck, drove a few weeks, and traded-in for full-size).

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23286 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I've never bought a new one. I just can't see any benefit. You can buy one a year or two old that is for all intents and purposes a new car, and save significant amounts of money.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3516 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
One time: a 2000 Dodge Neon

I can easily believe that POS would sour you on any more new cars.

Posts: 27970 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I've historically only bought new cars. I don't have the skills to assess whether or not a used car is going to last long enough. Nor do I have the skills to fix things should something break.

However, moving forward, having built up experience and also relationship w/ the local shop, I'm more likely to buy a used car for myself. Cars I want are not affordable to me new - my budget is $20k or less for cars as they are now 90% utility expenditures for me and only 10% fun.

My wife gets new cars but again with a budget (up to $30K but they last 20+ years).

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12733 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Except last two cars all of mine were made in the 80's and have only owned three cars in my life that even had power windows.

Last car was a return Ford Fusion with 60mi on ODO. Got extended warranty for buying CPO car. Technically used, but practically new.

Current car Ford Fusion Sport. I drive company vehicles. Car is for my pleasure, I want it to be taken care of and used by me only.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20830 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post