SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Credit Card Companies Agree to Track Gun & Ammo Sales
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Credit Card Companies Agree to Track Gun & Ammo Sales Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I currently have at least two credit card orders from firearms/ammo/parts/accessories businesses that have been "processing or "awaiting payment" for more than a week.

Businesses I've ordered from in the past with no such problem.

It seems odd. Frown

Posts: 15885 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^At least two...More than a week! Seems it's worth a call to Customer Service, don't ya think?

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8865 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Hey, between my day job and posting on the Internet, I'm kinda too busy to do the rational thing.

Gnome sayin'? Razz

Posts: 15885 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
I demand that my account remain intact, and that action be taken to ensure that, anything less will be considered an extreme outrage...? LOL

Posts: 2759 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I meant to post on this thread sometime ago, but Sparkywho kinda distracted me.

Anyway, I am not a happy guy over this situation, but, I buy mostly locally and pay cash, and that won't change. But, I do, from time to time, purchase something on-line, from one of the big retailers and use a credit card. One has an option of mailing a check and I may do that.

On the other hand, I haven't "needed" anything new in probably 30 years (need and want-I never got them straight in my head), so If I decide not to buy online, it'll probably just keep some extra $ in my bank account.

But I still don't like it one bit.

Bob

Posts: 1572 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Although its not DeSantis this time, it might as well be. Enter Jimmy Petronis, Florida's CFO. I've personally met this guy a couple times and he's a hoot (to put it mildly). Let's see how the CC companies react to this shot across the bow.

For Immediate Release: Wednesday, September 21, 2022
Contact: Office of Communications, Communications@MyFloridaCFO.com, 850.413.2842

CFO Jimmy Patronis: Florida Will Act Against Credit Card Companies Who Target the 2nd Amendment

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – Today, Florida Chief Financial Officer (CFO) Jimmy Patronis issued a statement following recent media reports that credit card companies are going to start tracking gun and ammunition sales. The reports state that major credit card companies such as Visa, Mastercard and American Express have decided to apply a new sales code to distinguish firearm purchases at U.S. gun stores. Additionally, the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals recently ruled on a Texas bill (NetChoice V. Ken Paxton), establishing that major corporations, including banking institutions, do not have a right to limit American’s constitutional rights.

CFO Jimmy Patronis said, “The second amendment is foundational to our American way of life. The idea that law-abiding Americans would be put on some kind of corporate watchlist is disturbing. Our rights come from our Creator, not the government, and especially not big corporations. It is clear that the actions by these credit card companies are part of a larger effort to curtail God-given constitutional rights of Americans. It is also symptomatic of the virus known as ESG, which is part of a global effort to socially re-engineer the country that we love so much. There is no way we are going to allow that to happen in the free state of Florida.

“If we come to the legislative session and companies like Visa, Mastercard and American Express are generating these reports to create a chilling effect against the purchase of firearms, then I’ll work with the Legislature to pass a law penalizing businesses who are targeting the right to bear arms. We’ve seen a groundbreaking ruling come out of the Fifth Circuit limiting corporations’ ability to curtail American’s constitutional rights, so we are on solid legal footing to pursue a bill protecting Floridians 2nd Amendment Rights. We can also take it a step further by barring these companies from doing any business with the State of Florida. We will send a message out to these large corporations that if you are interested in doing business with Florida, you need to make sure that you’re protecting Floridians right to arm and defend themselves.”

Link

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
^^^ That is awesome! I sure hope other Red State governors take notice and follow the example of Florida.

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3917 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
We have good teamwork going in Florida.

"DeSantis: Florida Versus Davos
A transcript of Governor Ron DeSantis’s remarks given in Miami at the National Conservatism Conference."

"The True Virus

And the question is, the question is why? Why would this be happening? That’s what people will ask me, because sometimes they don’t believe it’s happening. Then when they see the evidence, it really is a jolt to say, wow, why is this happening? I think it’s happening because of the woke mind virus. I think this is ideology run amok. I think you’re seeing it all across a variety of institutions, which I think is one of the reasons why the moment we have right now is more challenging than maybe some moments that we had in the past. Because I think when Reagan came on the scene, for example, it was really big government that was to blame and big government that needed to be reeled in. Yes, we still need to do that. Don’t get me wrong. But you now have a woke mind virus that has infected all these other institutions.

I mean, just look at corporate America. Most corporations, some of these big corporations are now exercising quasi-public power, in terms of using their economic power to change policy in this country. You just saw what the credit card companies are going to try to do with the firearms. You’ve seen big Wall Street banks collude to deny financing to companies who may be involved in combating illegal immigration, or firearms, or things that they don’t like. You look at the movement for ESG. And all ESG is, is an attempt to use corporate and economic power to impose an ideological agenda on society—an agenda that could not win at the ballot box.

And so these Masters of the Universe, not content to line their pockets, not content to make huge profits, want to use their power to change society. They are not accountable to any electorate the last time I checked, and there’s really no way for the private sector to reel them in at this point either, though maybe that will happen. So what we’ve done in Florida is say, we’re going to fight back against this. We’ve instructed our state pension system not to do any ESG. They should be using their pension system to get the best results for the shareholders. And if solar companies are a good investment, then of course they can do it. But they are not excluded from doing other investments that fail the ideological litmus test."

https://patriotpost.us/article...sus-davos-2022-09-21

Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
If you're not on a government watch list then you're not trying hard enough.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dzozer:
^^^ That is awesome! I sure hope other Red State governors take notice and follow the example of Florida.
And that's exactly what its going to take to make them back away from this CC thing.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:

Note to Greg Abbot: Those guys in Florida are making you look like a pussy, and you're up for re-election this fall.

quote:
["]And so these Masters of the Universe, not content to line their pockets, not content to make huge profits, want to use their power to change society. They are not accountable to any electorate the last time I checked, and there's really no way for the private sector to reel them in at this point either, though maybe that will happen.["]

Note to Donald Trump: I'm not saying that DeSantis just made you look like a pussy, but...it was aliens.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Could you get around this online by buying from companies who allow zelle or one of those other direct bank-to-bank type transfers?

Posts: 1178 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
The only thing I will use my visa card for is to buy gasoline at the gas station. Too much hassle to do only cash there. In some cases, it is "go inside, deposit some cash, go back outside, pump the gas, then if you pumped less than your deposit, go back inside and get your change.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25641 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll use checks for all but the smallest of purchases. Cash for small buys.

Posts: 3211 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
Looks like the CC tracking of gun sales is not going as planned.

Link

Visa, Mastercard Pause Categorizing Gun-shop Sales

Payment processors Visa Inc. and Mastercard have paused implementing a plan that would separately categorize sales at gun shops due to legal uncertainties, reports Bloomberg.

"There are bills advancing in several states related to the use of this new code," a spokesman for Mastercard said in a statement Thursday. The proposals would create an "inconsistency" in how the code is applied by merchants and others, he added.

"It's for that reason that we have decided to pause work on the implementation of the firearms specific MCC."

Visa said the "significant confusion and legal uncertainty" the legislative proposals have created led to the pause, according to a spokesperson.

The International Organization for Standardization, or ISO, in September of 2022 voted to create a special code for gun stores to use when processing credit and debit card transactions, a move hailed by gun rights advocates who said it would help law enforcement officials spot suspicious purchases.

Visa and Mastercard at the time said it would adopt the code, provoking the ire of gun rights advocates and gun lobbyists.

But the payment giants are delaying the work after lawmakers in Mississippi and Florida filed bills targeting the merchant code (MCC). A bill in West Virginia that would "prevent the use of payment card processing systems for surveillance of Second Amendment activity and discriminatory conduct" passed the House and was sent to the state's Senate.

"MCCs are one data point that would not provide any insight on specific purchases or resolve larger issues," the Mastercard spokesman said. "We are committed to working with policymakers and elected officials to contribute to constructive solutions that address the gun violence issue, while respecting important constitutional rights and protections for lawful activities."

Discover also said it's removing the MCC, "to continue alignment and interoperability with the industry."

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5749 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:

The International Organization for Standardization, or ISO, in September of 2022 voted to create a special code for gun stores to use when processing credit and debit card transactions, a move hailed by gun rights advocates who said it would help law enforcement officials spot suspicious purchases.

Visa and Mastercard at the time said it would adopt the code, provoking the ire of gun rights advocates and gun lobbyists.

who writes this shit? 4th graders?

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10894 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Soooo.... maybe the next thing is to track alcohol purchases? I mean DUI and alcohol related assaults and crimes are far more frequent than shootings by law abiding citizens right?

If you don't think they're not tracking every transaction you make, you aren't paying attention.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many of the gun shops refuse credit cards due to the fees. Harder to trace cash. I am sure that when gang members buy weapons in quantity they use VISA.
I bet members of the View approve.

Posts: 17221 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
I can only hope that DOJ will be as inept as when they did not prosecute antifa types by tracking the funding for travel costs, truck rentals, signs, t-shirts, and whoever paid for the paving stones

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2003 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post