SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Credit Card Companies Agree to Track Gun & Ammo Sales
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Credit Card Companies Agree to Track Gun & Ammo Sales Login/Join 
Picture of Blackmore
posted
Looks like the CEO of Amalgamated Bank got her way.

Link 1

Link 2

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3446 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Pretty sure criminals and murderers aren’t using credit cards to buy guns etc

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29684 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:

I dunno about that. Plenty of mass shooters have done just that, knowing they'd be dead or in jail when the credit card bill came due, and that being the least of their concerns.

However, we all know this tracking BS has absolutely zero to do with reducing crime. Maybe someone could perform a random act of journalism and ask that bank CEO how this would stop gun crime. Spending a few grand at a time at a gun store really isn't anything unusual at all. I have a large purchase alert set for my Amex that emails me anytime a charge of $500 or more hits. Amazingly, just about every time that happens, it's at Scottsdale Gun Club. What is possibly unusual or criminal about that? Yesterday I went to pick up a 1000 rds of ammo I had paid for a week ago. Decided to grab an additional 1000 rds once there, so neither transaction tripped the alert. Watch them try to make that a structuring crime.

Posts: 3523 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:

That’s not the point. If they know you’re buying ammo, they know you own guns. Just another way to create a database of gun owners.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3963 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Nor am I.

quote:

Posts: 1978 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Criminals may be using YOUR credit card for purchase.

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Having worked at Amex, I'm pretty surprised they're going along with this. The whole goal of a CC company is to make their cardholders increase their card spend. Even if they don't carry a balance, the use of the card means merchant fees for the CC company. And gun/ammo purchases are usually larger than most others. If anything, this new rule will make the gun folks more likely to pay in cash and, obviously, the informed criminals would pay in cash if trying to avoid any kind of detection of watchlist.

Posts: 3523 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Traitorous, thrice named bitch. Get out of my country. Go back to Ethiopia.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12714 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Time to start paying cash for gift cards at the grocery store (and getting fuel points to boot), and then using those cards for ammo purchases?

God bless America.

Posts: 13487 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
From one of the linked articles:
quote:
With a new code for firearms merchants, potentially suspicious purchasing patterns could be flagged to law enforcement — much the same way banks and credit unions made more than 1.4 million suspicious activity reports in 2021 for other types of transactions that might suggest anything from identity theft to terrorist financing.

I am curious to know how many of these 1.4 million “suspicious activity reports in 2021” were investigated and led to stopping any crime.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick-SP2022:
I am curious to know how many of these 1.4 million “suspicious activity reports in 2021” were investigated and led to stopping any crime.

Zero

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8013 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
Curious what this will do to the on line stores like Midway or Precision Delta. I see the gun community stopping their on line purchases and starving these companies into bankruptcy.

That said, I didn’t see a date when the new tracking goes into effect. Might be time to make a few orders.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5749 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
It's all just 'them' dancing and does not mean anything.... the fact that I own guns and ammo is no secret there are very few people in my life as well as businesses that don't already know this.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironmike57:
Nor am I.

quote:

You get it!

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
The decision came amid mounting pressure on credit card companies by Democrats in Congress who urged the code's creation.

Yeah. It's the conservatives that are fascists. Roll Eyes

Posts: 7351 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:
Looks like the CEO of Amalgamated Bank got her way.
Let's consider this for what it 'really' is. The CEO of Amalgamated Bank is an attention whore and auditioning for some bigger role the DNC can help her get. Amalgamated Bank has an asset base of $6.6 billion. In the banking world, this is nothing. By comparison, here's a list of the top ten banks by asset base.

When any of these banks sign up for this BS, then we have a problem. Until then, just call Ms. Brown out for being the whore she is.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Until then, just call Ms. Brown out for being the whore she is.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107508 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hate to brake this to ya’ll…..but this has been going on for a very long time. They’re just being “louder” about now.

Every single bank or credit card transaction is recorded and stored. Who, what, when, where, etc…doesn’t matter what you try to do, it’s never going to stop.

You guys/galls should read your credit card and bank statements more. There’s a whole lot of info they’re tracking about you.

Posts: 874 | Location: NE Pennsylvania | Registered: December 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by davidjinks:
I hate to brake this to ya’ll…..but this has been going on for a very long time. They’re just being “louder” about now.

Every single bank or credit card transaction is recorded and stored. Who, what, when, where, etc…doesn’t matter what you try to do, it’s never going to stop.

You guys/galls should read your credit card and bank statements more. There’s a whole lot of info they’re tracking about you.
Somewhat accurate but you're missing an important piece. CC companies 'do' collect a mountain of data, BUT they cull that data looking for potential fraud/illegal transactions. What this garbage at Gifford's is demanding is completely different. It's turning CC companies and banks into pseudo law enforcement agencies snooping for government into the affairs of 'all' customers. Suppose you think I'm a bad man and 'might' do you or someone else harm. Just because you call LE that doesn't mean LE can simply bust into my home and search it for whatever they can find. That would require a warrant and a fair amount of basis on which the warrant was based. This fishing expedition Gifford's and other gun control groups are demanding is way outside the bounds of what banks do today, and quite frankly, I can't imagine most banks are going to warm to the idea of being the government's lacky like this.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
If it's local, just pay cash. If you're ordering off the internet, the shipper knows the source and destination of the package, and that can be used to track you.

quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
Time to start paying cash for gift cards at the grocery store (and getting fuel points to boot), and then using those cards for ammo purchases?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post